MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Bike opinions

Ok, well it is looking like Uncle Sam barrowed WAY too much money of mine last year. I commute 170mi/day currently, and if I change jobs to Austin I will be driving 140mi/day. Currently I drive an '01 sunfire and get 26-28mi/gallon but I want more. I have been thinking hard about getting another CRX (34-40mpg) depending on the model I select, or getting another bike. Naturally I don't want to pay for a 600cc sportbike that I will put 40k miles on in one year. What do you guys recomend. If I had my choice, i would be getting a VRSC Vrod. Harleys are overpriced, but my father is a die hard and it would look better riding next to his '51 panhead, and my mom's harley. If I wanted to use one as a commuter, should I go completely to cruiser, or go with like a Yamaha FZ, or an SV650? I have not had the chance to ride all these bikes. I'm 6' tall so comfort for over 1hr trips is important, not to mention the amount of miles a bike can take. Let me know what your opinions are.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on this bike Wormgear Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 12 10-02-2008 09:08 AM
Getting a new chain for my bike- Opinions Jay General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 06-06-2008 12:12 PM
new hear and new bike looking for opinions Harveyjl2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 11-06-2007 09:14 AM
Opinions On Possible Bike Bazzy General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 05-03-2006 03:43 AM
bike opinions wanted cyrick21 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 10-23-2005 07:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

i'm a little biased, but the busa cruises really well with the heli bars and a double bubble windscreen, and the motor, i've heard, is near bullet proof. you can do a few easy mods to the busa and it makes a of a cruiser, i've never ridden the kawi concours 14, but i would bet it'd be a comfy ride as well and has the zx14 motor
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

big bore scooter.

fairings makes hwy travel more comfy, also provide protection from elements
great gas mileage
storage space

thats realistically my next bike.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

+1 on the Concours (I would have one right now.. uncle sam) Or the Honda St1300 usually fares rather well, because of it's simplicity, in the comparo tests.
I'm a pretty big dude as well (6'5" 220) and I wouldn't be "cruising" on a rocket

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

while a harley would get ok fuel mileage the price of the things would negate the fuel savings. Plus without fairings the commute would be a little tiresome. If your set on a harley and price is no object go with the electra glide.... or like I did .... busa, busa, busa
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
while a harley would get ok fuel mileage the price of the things would negate the fuel savings. Plus without fairings the commute would be a little tiresome. If your set on a harley and price is no object go with the electra glide.... or like I did .... busa, busa, busa
Any of the cruiser dudes know how the maintenance is on a harley? A Japanese bike has very easy maintenance intervals.

See ya @ the track!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Thanks for the input. I'll check those out.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
Any of the cruiser dudes know how the maintenance is on a harley? A Japanese bike has very easy maintenance intervals.
they aren't too bad. 25 k on a harley is a little steep... that is 2 busa's or one really tricked out busa. Yes I am sure you can pick up a used harley for cheaper. My dad bought a used ex police electra glide for 11 K... but the miles on it were kinda high and if the plan is to commute 170+ miles a day then the repair bills would soon start stacking up. Same goes for a goldwing... those things have gotten expensive as well. A vfr, busa, the new kawi and fzr would make more economical sense. Great fuel mileage, provisions for hard luggage, good wind protection, low purchase cost and maint. cost and long drive comfort would be good for folks on a budget. Sure if I had money laying around I would own a harley full dresser for long leisurely drives but alas.... I am but a poor man.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

if your looking to save gas, get yourself a little CRX, and plus i have a B16 swap if you want to put some into that car and still get 30-35mpg...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
they aren't too bad. 25 k on a harley is a little steep... that is 2 busa's or one really tricked out busa. Yes I am sure you can pick up a used harley for cheaper. My dad bought a used ex police electra glide for 11 K... but the miles on it were kinda high and if the plan is to commute 170+ miles a day then the repair bills would soon start stacking up. Same goes for a goldwing... those things have gotten expensive as well. A vfr, busa, the new kawi and fzr would make more economical sense. Great fuel mileage, provisions for hard luggage, good wind protection, low purchase cost and maint. cost and long drive comfort would be good for folks on a budget. Sure if I had money laying around I would own a harley full dresser for long leisurely drives but alas.... I am but a poor man.
Perfect post. The Vrod is the only harley that has my attention. Not a fan of harley cuz of the price and maintenance, but the Vrod has my attention. I have found many of them with 8k miles for 10k and under. But yea, I never thought about having fairings due to wind on a long ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-SPARTAN View Post
if your looking to save gas, get yourself a little CRX, and plus i have a B16 swap if you want to put some into that car and still get 30-35mpg...
Yea I have owned them. My dad is a master honda tech so I got all the info needed. BTW, B16 is the way to go, but I have beat two of them with my old D16 that still got better mileage. I honestly want to go LS, it is a lighter less expensive motor. And unless you dump a bunch of parts in the B16, it doesn't quite have all that much advantage due to the weight. Not to mention the swap is nearly seamless.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Actually referring to maintenance cost, intervals, etc. I just don't know.

See ya @ the track!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

I have heard that V-twins are more reliable. Any truth to that?
I know I should be asking in the moto related area, but I stay in off topic most the time any ways.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
I have heard that V-twins are more reliable. Any truth to that?
I know I should be asking in the moto related area, but I stay in off topic most the time any ways.
v twinsa re definately more torquey, and are typically air cooled. i'd stay with water colled and the smoothness of either a V4 or inline 4
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

VFR?

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
VFR?
VFR, RC51 etc. Any of them actually.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
VFR, RC51 etc. Any of them actually.
vfr is v-4 stay away from the rc51 if you are going to commute. not comforable...gets REALLY hot in the summer and poor fuel mileage.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #18
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I would be doing something about that 140 mile commute if it were me.

Advertisement