MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
IslandKilo
Rising Sun

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 YamR6

The Evolution Of YOU as a rider....

What made you ride and own a motorcycle??

I was 7 years old when I first learned to ride a bicycle. It felt amazing. Then 4 years later I rode a dirtbike and fell in love. I promised myself one day I would get one. but it was to try and convince my parents. SO, pretty much I was discouraged for about 9 years until my homeboy loaned me his Ninja 500 (I was 21) and I was determined again to have my own. Long story short, I saved up for knows how long and picked up my Yami....(now I'm 23)

I'm guessing there's only a limited number of people that knew for sure they would have a bike when they grow up. But for those others, what made you decide to start riding and eventually own a bike?

Islandkilo
IslandKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EvOlUtIoN YES or NO Vote noW DepPravacion The Circus 11 05-10-2010 12:32 PM
Evolution? BigComfy The Circus 210 10-24-2008 10:04 PM
Evolution of Intelligence? CaJuNsOuLjA Off Topic 27 12-22-2007 11:10 PM
Third Arm - Evolution? ArturoC Off Topic 22 05-31-2006 04:01 PM
BIKER EVOLUTION FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-27-2005 08:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

teh bitchezz

Nah, Dad was a moto rider. Got into dirt bikes very young and always wanted one but the parents said they wouldn't help pay for any street bikes at all. I've already had 3(I'm 19) and now my Dad has gotten back into the sport and so has my brother(23). Family that rides together stays together
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
I always knew I'd have one. Just waited until I was mature enough to own one. Grew up playing and wanted to ride/drive anything with an engine.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
IslandKilo
Rising Sun

Bike(s):
07 YamR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
teh bitchezz

they help too

Islandkilo
Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
SPHINX
Ominous Misanthropia

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX6R
2005 749S

Send a message via AIM to SPHINX
Well, when I was younger [around 12] I would hear the high pitched whine of sport bikes as they vanished into the horizon unbound, and that made my blood start to boil as if by some sort of invisible force that suddenly pervaded the atmosphere. That's when I knew I would one day own a motorcycle. I eventually did at the age 18 before I even owned a car, I am 20 now and still think a bike is the best investment one could ever made.
The joy they give you when you twist the throtle, the formidable acceleration and braking, the way you have to balance the physical forces and controls, and even the looks you get from people on cars who seem to have lost their will to live.. it's just priceless!
SPHINX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
coojo
Uber Newb

Bike(s):
2004 ninja 250

Motorcycles, trenchcoats, and sunglasses were my idea of cool when I was little. Never spent much of my allowance as a kid and it saved up throughout the year until christmas when I'd spend a little. Just bought my first bike and we need to get it running so I guess I'm still pre-single celled as of now.
coojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 AM   #7
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

nobody in my family rides. ever (that im aware of). neither on my fathers side, mothers side, or anyone in my wifes family. but ive wanted a bike for over a decade. finally got a wild hair up my and bought one. the end.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
I never rode any motorized 2 wheeled ANYTHING until i bought my 1st gsxr 750, back in '02, not even as a passenger.

Back in '98, i met a dude in my neighborhood that raced on holmes rd and I use 2 go watch them and get chased with them by the po po's. I was in love at that point, with bikes that is, and just finally woke up one morning 4 yrs later and went and purchased a bike.

My boyfriends friend at the time had 2 ride it home for me, and they showed me how 2 get outta 1st. We parked it for a couple of days, and when homeboy didn't come back I just pulled it out and went for it. Been riding ever since..

Evolving to the drag racing now!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #9
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

The impetus to me riding was my sisters Wayne buying a Nighthawk 250cc and her deciding to learn to ride said Nighthawk.

G-Man had been urging me for years, (I had been riding B****) but having someone jump down the rabbit hole with you made it seem safe.

The MSF class was amazing. I dumped 3 different bikes - 5 times within in the 1st month but not since (knock on wood) Sis and I are the epitome of NOOBS as we have never-ever been encouraged in any way to ride by anyone in our family. Discouraged (STRONGLY) would be more honest.

Now I ride as often as I can, I'm looking to upgrade from my 250cc and I stunt (not well yet) 50's. I can't imagine how I went so long without this joy in my life.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Jay
Deleted

Experience: 5 years

watching moto gp
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

My older brother Don (RIP) took me on a ride on his Suzuki 250 (I think it was a 72) and scared the out of me. I think he was trying to on purpose, he loved to scare us kids. He bought me my first bike when I was like 12. It was an old 60's Honda 90. I rode that thing around the neighborhood every chance I got. Quit riding it when I was about 14 and sold it. From then I would ride a friends bike around once in a while. Then I got married and did not ride at all really for the next 14 or 15 yrs. I always remembered the thrill and enjoyment of riding and wanted to do it again. Bought my first sportbike about 2 1/2 years ago (CBR 600 F2) learned on it. Wrecked it due to stupidity and had 9 screws and a plate installed on the foot and ankle. Rehabed and got right back on.

Glad I waited till I was more mature. I think as crazy as I was in my teens and early 20's I would of become road fodder.

I'm like, who needs a $40-$60K sport car when you can have the same or better performance at a fraction of the cost. And a lot of people look and point because they think you are so cool.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #12
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Whole family rides. Moms, Pops, Uncles, Aunts, Bros, Sis, and wife.
Mostly HD Roadkings, G-wings, Big cruisers, etc.
They can't believe that I ride a sportsbike.
They really look down on that kind of motorcycle for kids and the street.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

For me, it's a family thing. My dad has probably logged over 500000 miles (not exagerating). I've been on a bike as long as I can remember. Took a little hiatus during my 20's (probably smart). Got a 06 cbr1000rr for my 29 birthday, been loving it since.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
motolosjr
los

Bike(s):
2015 NC700
2014 GROM

started out at 3yrs old on a pw50 and have owned a bike since
im 22 yrs old and ive gone through 9 bikes in the last 2 yrs. no i didn't wreck them i just get bored easily. right now im riding a 07 suzuki M109 and im loving it. but i see a ducati in my near future.
motolosjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #15
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

As Meaner mentioned, we were not allowed near any motorcycles or four wheelers or three wheelers (remember those?).

Then one day when I was 33, my bf bought a friend's NHawk and parked it in our garage. It sat for a few months, I rode it up and down the driveway, Meaner rode it, we both dropped it. Then we decided to take MSF together and we drug another friend, too. Now, I've been riding seven months and still drop the bike occasionally. I want a sport bike, but for now I'm happy learning on my little cruiser. Plus, I added NOS, so it goes faster now!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

got battery powered 3 wheeler at 3yrs old, would ride from morning to sunset on that and have to recharge it like 6 times a day, got a pw50 at 5, a suzuki ds80 at 9, that is when i really learned the thrill of speed, it would do about 60 mph, and on such a little bike feels scary. had one ever since
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #17
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
nobody in my family owned a bike when i was growing up.....buddha bought one i think in year 2000.....and after that, i got one. been riding ever since.....on and off.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #18
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

My old man and his buddy had bikes around me when I was a tyke Quite often it was some aging street machine that took out in the back pasture to mess around on... a bit older, visits to my cousins had us riding two up, on a fat tired pit bike of some sort... or one of us riding, pulling the other on whatever we could find to pull or drag behind that little beast. Big-Wheels, tricycles. You name it... it was a given from there
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #20
IslandKilo
Rising Sun

Bike(s):
07 YamR6

interesting stories. It's good to hear that there are people in this world that are more than just "talk." Like the saying, "Don't talk about it be about it." We are all different in endless ways but at least we share a common passion

Islandkilo

Advertisement