MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
cp6rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

which track day

So I am new to track days and want to know which one to sign up with. lstd, ride smart, or texas track days. is there any differance between these or should i just pick one and sign up.
cp6rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - ECR Extravaganza 2 - Aug 16-17, 2008 - $100/day + Prizes Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 27 08-18-2008 09:11 AM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Out of the org's you have listed, my preference goes to LSTD

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Look at what each has to offer. I have never done a track day, but I did some research and LSTD's 3 different rider levels is what appealed to me. Also they have a lessons option for $50 extra.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
AZ slide

Experience: 4 years

Send a message via AIM to AZ slide
ride smart also has 3 levels but theres way to many riders the lower levels, so one on one with an instructor doesnt happen alot. try a noob day with buck, with 5 or 6 instructors and 20 to 25 people you will learn alot in one day
AZ slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
BrutusTx

Member Garage

LSTD in my opinion, but you will learn something from all of them.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

with lstd, we strive to provide one instructor to two students of the class. Most of the time there are several people that get 1 on 1 instruction for the whole day. You can ask around and read all that you can to help make your decision.

All of the org's provide track time. lstd has a maximum level limit of 30 but try our best to keep it at 25 max. Race weekends are usually the days that we max at 30 riders. Still safe tho, for the length of track vs. the amount of riders, there is plenty of room for each person to ride in comfort.

As said before, Ride Smart does tend to (from hearsay and 1 personal exp.) stack the track with quite a few peeps. They also provide instruction, as for the ratio of inst. vs. students, i don't know that.

I would say that lstd has the longest running wrap sheet for trackdays, lms has been around for several years, Ride Smart has been around for several years also, TTD's, they are new so i can't comment on this org.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

its all about the instructors each organization provides... ask around and see who really wants to help and actualy promotes their org in a good way on and off the track.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

if you can wait until march Longhorn has a NOOB day. Tons of track time and lots of instruction with great facilities and an awesome track.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
jodyhudson

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp6rider View Post
So I am new to track days and want to know which one to sign up with. lstd, ride smart, or texas track days. is there any differance between these or should i just pick one and sign up.
speaking as a racer... LSTD is the way to go. i've been doin trackdays with them since they started 8 or so years ago ! they always strive to provide the safest & best track experience for their customers
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

All the org.'s have something to offer! As long as you go with the right attitude to learn, you'll do fine with whichever one. The Longhorn Noob day is a great place to start, but whichever one works out with your schedule you will have plenty of people to help if you will listen to instruction. LSTD is also great with the seperated groups and a great beginner class you can take to get more one on one instruction. Just get out there and have fun!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

jody's right.
LSTD.
i've been with them for 8 years too, and i race with their team for 07-08.
the enthusiasm that was there 8 years ago is still there today.
all of the instructors have been with them since the beginning.
i'll be glad to spend the day with you.
we'll do as many laps as you can stand.
heck, it's worth the money just to see jody rippin' around on his tard.
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #12
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Longhorn Motorcycle School......sign up for the noob day on march 8th. close to home and a bunch of great guys to help you go fast. they taught me everything i know about cornering.....and if it wasn't for them, i probably wouldn't be as fast as i am today.

if you cannot make it for the noob day, try one of LSTD's trackdays, and then come play with normal group at Longhorn Motorcycle School.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #13
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
All the org.'s have something to offer! As long as you go with the right attitude to learn, you'll do fine with whichever one. The Longhorn Noob day is a great place to start, but whichever one works out with your schedule you will have plenty of people to help if you will listen to instruction. LSTD is also great with the seperated groups and a great beginner class you can take to get more one on one instruction. Just get out there and have fun!
+1....but I'm a fan of LSTD & LMS....wasn't pleased with Ride Smart (although I may give them another try during the summer), and have yet to see TTD as they are a new venue.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1 View Post
with lstd, we strive to provide one instructor to two students of the class. Most of the time there are several people that get 1 on 1 instruction for the whole day. You can ask around and read all that you can to help make your decision.

All of the org's provide track time. lstd has a maximum level limit of 30 but try our best to keep it at 25 max. Race weekends are usually the days that we max at 30 riders. Still safe tho, for the length of track vs. the amount of riders, there is plenty of room for each person to ride in comfort.

As said before, Ride Smart does tend to (from hearsay and 1 personal exp.) stack the track with quite a few peeps. They also provide instruction, as for the ratio of inst. vs. students, i don't know that.

I would say that lstd has the longest running wrap sheet for trackdays, lms has been around for several years, Ride Smart has been around for several years also, TTD's, they are new so i can't comment on this org.
Just let me say, I started last year with LSTD and I have had blast! They are a great bunch of guys. Everyone I have talked with is very friendly and will help you in any way they can. So there is my two cents worth. The main thing is to be safe and have fun!

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I've gathered a bit of information from each Event I've ever been to.
I seem to have a closer relationship with with LSTD, I think it started with their close ties to CMRA
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

For your first time I would suggest LSTD with the riders school.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
slo_rdr

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR 750-Totaled
'01 KX60-mini-tard

I've done Ridesmart, Lonestar, & Longhorn's (Buck's) - Longhorn is definately the most instructor intensive since it appears many riding during a regular day really don't need instruction - Instructors come up to you to help you out -really awesome! Just keep in mind there will be a lot of fast pace guys so I'd reccommend a noob day if a person is new to track days.

I've mostly done ridesmart just because the dates & locations worked for me & have had great experiences with instruction - just ask for specific help, however about 3-4 riders per instructor most times. An advantage with Ride Smart is the classroom instruction in the 1st two levels wich is included in the cost.

Lonestar was good for me too and I still see my first ever instructor around from time to time and have participated in a couple of group rides with him.

I look forward to more of each of the track day org's events & will work in the Texas Track Days at some point.

All the instructors are really great in all of the orgs. - Thanks guys!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
gahboo

Bike(s):
07 Aprilia Tuono R; BMW F650GS

nOOb Question - Which Moto School for first track day?

Hi all,
I am new here and looking to try my hand at the track thing. Would you guys kindly comment on the differences / merits of doing the riding school at LSTD versus Lone Star Motorcycle School (the guys in Alvin, I believe)? I really do not know what to look for in a school as far as instruction is concerned. Any direct experiences from you guys that are relevant would be appreciated. I am not so worried about the experience itself, but I am very concerned that a nOOb will take out my new Aprilia. I want to ride with the guys who crowd the track the least and give hands on instruction the most.

Thanks
gahboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 AM   #20
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp6rider View Post
If the posts are'nt top obvious enough - "most" people will say which one to pick based on who they are affiliated with.

Similarly since i'm a RideSmart instructor i'll say, pick RideSmart.

Since your "new to track days" I would say pick RideSmart coz:

RideSmart is the lowest smallest priced TDOrg @ $110-135 you get track time aswell as "in - class instruction", where as for other organizations you'd have to pay $50 extra on top of the already $150-175 fee.

RideSmart is the best bang for your buck. Compare $110-135 to $200-225.

In the end, which ever Track Day organization you pick - you can't really go wrong. All 4 of the organizations mentioned here are good.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement