MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Urandaman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Send a message via AIM to Urandaman
for military people

for those who have been or are in the military, was it a good choice for you?
ive been thinking about joining the service for a while, and since school is not for me i dont think, the military looks like a good choice since i like doing things. and according to my asvab scores the jobs that would be best suited for me seem real interesting.

i know alot of recruiters surgar coat it, so lets here some first hand opinions about it? and what service were/are you in
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Military people will like this gunshotwound Off Topic 7 03-06-2009 05:18 PM
Military / Former Military Look Here! Patrick Off Topic 45 02-20-2009 03:48 PM
Military people need to read this. gunshotwound Off Topic 4 01-16-2009 05:51 PM
Cool People Helping People jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-04-2008 11:42 PM
military FastLife1K Off Topic 41 02-06-2008 12:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

cool cool, im more into hands on type stuff, and i hate computers really ha. building/tearing down/ fixing stuff is right up my alley though.

saving my money would be easy, i only spend it on my truck, and since id be without my truck for however long i wouldnt have to spend any ha
Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
I am in the Air Force and im deployed to Iraq right now, and I love the job i do. My job handles all cargo and passengers coming in and going out of the port. I am working the section where we unload and load all of the planes. Its really fun to see all the that is coming in to the country. I have driven so many different type of tactical vehicles since ive been here.

I do not have any complaints about joining the military and would highly reccomend it to any one thinking about joining. Once your through basic and your job training all the real fun starts.

Find the branch that suits you best and go for it.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

how did you know you wanted to join the air force?
my army friends say ARMY 100%
and my marine friends say the same thing haha
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urandaman View Post
My uncle and cousin were both in the AF and suggested it. You will get much better living conditions and the deployments are shorter 6 months compared to 15. I also looked into the army and felt like i was being given a complete run around just to get me to join.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
My uncle and cousin were both in the AF and suggested it. You will get much better living conditions and the deployments are shorter 6 months compared to 15. I also looked into the army and felt like i was being given a complete run around just to get me to join. Plus the job i have right now i can easly go to any base around the world that i ask to go to.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Do not let your friends pride and hoooray-ness (new word) get u to go to the army....i been in the Air Force for 8 years..6 active and 2 full time guard...now my friends from high school who went to the army, marines are out of the military now and doing nothing...now i am not those guys because they have the guts and i respect them alot but to me you have to think about the future after the military...u really cant do anything with infantry skills in the outside world...
I say Air Force..they treat u a whole hella of a lot better...better living conditions..better assignments...better jobs...better women...

and if u do join the Air Force please do not become an SP (security police)...they have the worst job...

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Do not let your friends pride and hoooray-ness (new word) get u to go to the army....i been in the Air Force for 8 years..6 active and 2 full time guard...now my friends from high school who went to the army, marines are out of the military now and doing nothing...now i am not those guys because they have the guts and i respect them alot but to me you have to think about the future after the military...u really cant do anything with infantry skills in the outside world...
I say Air Force..they treat u a whole hella of a lot better...better living conditions..better assignments...better jobs...better women...

and if u do join the Air Force please do not become an SP (security police)...they have the worst job...
is the SP the people everyone hates? ha
Old 01-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I'll have 15 years in the Coast Guard this September. I've traveled extensively and done things that more than 99.999% of the world will never do. If you doubt me, find a list of people who have been scuba diving in the Arctic and Antarctica. If you do, it'll be a short one. Not to mention all my travels in between.

All the pay and benefits, just like the DOD services except we work under DHS. If you want to go to the Gulf, we have positions for you there too.

If you want to come and check out the base, small boats, cutters, aids to navigation units, we have just about everything 210 feet and smaller in Galveston. If you are more interested in aviation I can hook you up with someone at Elington Field. You like to take stuff apart and put it back together? Outboard motors, AC/R, Caterpillar, ALCO, Turbines in ships or aircraft........

If you have the scores for it I have to give you an honest opinion. The Air Force has a lot to offer as far as professional development goes. Their academic programs are unbelievable. The Air Force has a ton of $$$ and they spend it on their people. BUT, the politics are crazy even at low levels.

PM me if you have any questions.

The military is a good life if you ask me. You may not get rich but you shouldn't be poor and will always have food, a job, and a roof over your head. It's not for everyone though.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

As the father of a son in the Army I'll just say this. You've now seem some opinions from people in different branches and you should try to take note of what their personalities and interests seem to be like and match theirs with yours.

For instance my son was a really gungho kind of guy. He played extremely hard and rough, he was the top wrestler in his highschool. He loved high intensity. So he joined the Army with the intentions of getting into the Rangers, but ended up with the 82nd airborne. He wants nothing more than to kill bad guys. He could have gone somewhere besides infantry but would have been bored.

If you don't think you have that kind of personality then look for one of the other positions or branches like Mike or one of the other guys are recommending.
I would recommend Air force or CG any day to anyone who asked me. My son in law was in the AF and now is full time Air National Guard and has a really good job working right here at Ellington Field. Those guys don't put up with any where near the the guys in the Army put up with. But the guys in the Army have to in order to do the job they're going to be asked to do.

So choose according to your make up. Not according to someone else's bragging. Just 2 cents worth.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
I'll have 15 years in the Coast Guard this September. I've traveled extensively and done things that more than 99.999% of the world will never do. If you doubt me, find a list of people who have been scuba diving in the Arctic and Antarctica. If you do, it'll be a short one. Not to mention all my travels in between.

All the pay and benefits, just like the DOD services except we work under DHS. If you want to go to the Gulf, we have positions for you there too.

If you want to come and check out the base, small boats, cutters, aids to navigation units, we have just about everything 210 feet and smaller in Galveston. If you are more interested in aviation I can hook you up with someone at Elington Field. You like to take stuff apart and put it back together? Outboard motors, AC/R, Caterpillar, ALCO, Turbines in ships or aircraft........

If you have the scores for it I have to give you an honest opinion. The Air Force has a lot to offer as far as professional development goes. Their academic programs are unbelievable. The Air Force has a ton of $$$ and they spend it on their people. BUT, the politics are crazy even at low levels.

PM me if you have any questions.

The military is a good life if you ask me. You may not get rich but you shouldn't be poor and will always have food, a job, and a roof over your head. It's not for everyone though.
very good advice right here

i work at ellington field and can show you around if ya want...dont forget about the Air National Guard either...u can join here at ellington...go to basic training ...go to tech school and work for 180 days after that on base then just do ur 1 weekend a month....and get alot of school benefits...PM and i can hook u up with a very good friend/recruiter

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #13
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

im a hands on type person, i like taking apart stuff from cars/trucks, house hold appliances and anything else that can come apart.

id love to come check out the bases and such. ill shoot yal PM's about it.

and whats the policy about tattoos? i dont have any visible ones while in pants. but both legs have tatooos from my ankle to my knees...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
CaptainMorgan
The True Captain

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2007 Yamaha R6 (track bike)

ya i joined the airforce in august and i ship for bt on march 18 im so ready i my job is aircraft structural maintenance....i cant wait been looking forward to it for a while

i new that it was a good choice after hearing the stories and things from friends in the navy and army and marines... im not gonna lie i dont wanna be a meatshield.. thats just what i think and it was between AF or coastgaurd
CaptainMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #15
Urandaman

Bike(s):
2002 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
ya i joined the airforce in august and i ship for bt on march 18 im so ready i my job is aircraft structural maintenance....i cant wait been looking forward to it for a while

i new that it was a good choice after hearing the stories and things from friends in the navy and army and marines... im not gonna lie i dont wanna be a meatshield.. thats just what i think and it was between AF or coastgaurd
a meatshield? bullet spunge? ha

how old are ya if ya dont mind? im 20, and im just curious the average age for someone going into the AF. i know alot of people are going into the army right out of high school(well a good number of my friends did)
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #16
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

PM replied.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #17
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

I spent 8 years in the Coast Guard and it was a great experience for me! I was never really interested in being a 'soldier' but wanted to serve my country. The Coast Guard was cool for me. I spent most of my time down in the Caribbean! Had some cool drug busts and lots of cool rescues. Got to do a little bit of everything. Was on the ships for a couple of years and the rest of the time flying as Aircrew on the HH65 Dolphin out of Ellington Field! Anyone considering military should check out all the services and see what each one offers. My recommendations would be Coast Guard or Air Force, but everybody is different.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
therky42

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

6 years Marine Corps Infantry

I loved the Corps and despite the fact that I had a 79 asvab score I still went infantry. It was def a challenge but also the most rewarding thing I have ever done and the Camaraderie I have found no where else. I will tell you the only true words that came out of my recruiters mouth was the day and time I was leaving for boot camp. I think the military is a great thing for certain people. I thought college wasnt for me when I joined but about halfway through I started taking classes and almost have my bachelors degree now, so dont throw college out of your mind completley just put it on hold and let the govt pay for it. I will say that even though I would not go back and change any of my decisions it would have been nice to have some sort of skill I could put on my resume, like communication, mechanic, etc. But I still bring things to the table just not the high paying jobs. Good luck with your decision and if you want to know anything about the Corps just ask, I am in the reserves here in Houston so I am still informed on what is going on.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
Hades
Underworld

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
**05 Repsol** gone :(
**CBR F4**Sold
**00 R6** Sold
**00 748** Sold
Illegal Senorita

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Hades
I was a Military Police officer and I had a blast with any job it has its good along with bad its really what you put into it. It also depends on what job you pick as well as what you are looking for; if you are wanting to see countries and travel alot go to the Navy but if you dont like the water then Marines or Army never go to the ChairForce LOL I would look at all your options.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Marines- 6yrs- Infantry
Fckn LOVE IT

Army
Aint Ready 4 Marines Yet

Navy
Never Again Volunteer Yourself

lol im joking with you guys

Personally i originally wanted to join the Airforce but they told me that i was too stupid for them and told me that the Marines are always intersted ( plus my Dad was a jarhead for 27yrs) so i joined the Marines. I think that its the best decision that i have ever made...so join what ever military you want as long as you salute to the same flag that i salute to...

Advertisement