MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #41
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I'm assuming at this point that it's just lack of experience or lack of trust of what may/may not be in the turn (road kill or other ).
this is what we call "better judgement" and its a good thing. you should be glad you have it, and i wouldnt go against it.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cited for 'unsafe speed', but no speed indicated Jonbones Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 17 10-09-2013 09:47 PM
I see your high speed cornering and raise you a low speed corner... Hi-Side General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 07-22-2011 07:56 PM
now thats a wedding entrance!! bentgixxer Off Topic 16 09-13-2010 10:01 AM
top speed run and high speed wheelies. CBR 1000 CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-19-2005 10:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #42
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
try reading keith code's book "twist of the wrist".....and you'll understand riding much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
if u get a chance pick up "sport riding techniques" i think nick ien-something is the aurthor . really good read also .
Two other good reference books are:

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques, by Lee Parks

and while we're at it...

MSF Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge, and Strategies for Riding Right, by MSF
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #43
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Coasting puts too much weight on the front, and throws the goemetry of the bike off. Just a little throttle will "set" the bike and make the suspension work the way it was designed.
^^And that would be one of the ppl that I mentioned before. ^^

That old guy can ride!
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #44
Brandon

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Double the yellow sign is a good rule of thumb, but I tend to late apex on the street so I can see what the corner is doing. In other words, wait until you can see where the turn is going, and what the road surface looks like, then turn hard and one time and get back to the gas.

Don't coast into turns, go in at a light throttle to settle the bike and then accellerate at first opportunity. Slow in-fast out is where it's at on the street, and leaves you a safety margin as well.
This pretty much describes what I do best, I wait until I can see the exit then I begin to increase speed (depending on the turn of course). But sometimes I feel that I've slowed down to much. From what I've been reading I think it's just something that's going to come from more experience and practice. I don't coast at all though, after I slow I usually begin to increase speed gradually as I am entering the turn.

The higher rpm's make my bike feel more stable through the turns as well. At first I wasn't comfortable with the RPM's being 8k+ because it just didn't feel right to me. But after a few runs it began to feel more natural and smooth for me.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #45
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
This pretty much describes what I do best, I wait until I can see the exit then I begin to increase speed (depending on the turn of course). But sometimes I feel that I've slowed down to much. From what I've been reading I think it's just something that's going to come from more experience and practice. I don't coast at all though, after I slow I usually begin to increase speed gradually as I am entering the turn.

The higher rpm's make my bike feel more stable through the turns as well. At first I wasn't comfortable with the RPM's being 8k+ because it just didn't feel right to me. But after a few runs it began to feel more natural and smooth for me.
That's it. Just comes with being patient and learning a little at a time. I'm finding this out more and more. Inexperienced guys with new bikes are going down all the time because they think they can just get out there and do it and that it looks so simple.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #46
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

Quote:

You do not have the luxury of holding your chosen line cornering on the street. Not every corner disturbance is visible on entry. Oil, sand, tar snakes, car backing out of the hidden drive, all these demand that you reserve some traction just in case. What if you need to swerve or brake? I'm always more impressed with a rider who demostrates this kind of discipline on the street than those who brag of doubling or tripling posted corner speeds. Sounds to me like you are developing a strong street strategy. Keep it up!

Now, if you want to have fun seeing what you and your bike can really do, track time is where it's at.
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #47
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Put a couple of pieces of electrical tape on your tach blocking off all numbers below 8K rpms. If you can't see the tach needle then you need to downshift.

I wish I could make the 3/8 noob day with you and Justin...unfortunately I'll be on a sailboat in Barbados...not trying to rub it in...I'm just sayin...

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #48
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthHoustonCBR View Post
Put a couple of pieces of electrical tape on your tach blocking off all numbers below 8K rpms. If you can't see the tach needle then you need to downshift.
On the street for a n00b????!!!!

Bad idea. However you may want to cover your speedometer with some tape at the track.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #49
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

I'm getting more use to hearing what the bike is doing and knowing what gear the bike is in. I need an Accumen big time though because sometimes I will forget what gear I'm in and it sure would be nice to glance down and know.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #50
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #51
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorenet View Post
i didnt even read this whole thread cause the first post made me want to NOT RIDE with you ever.

go to the track.
LOL....well said.
robz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #52
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorenet View Post
i didnt even read this whole thread cause the first post made me want to NOT RIDE with you ever.

go to the track.
No offence man but you should read the thread instead of posting a useless comment. It was started in a total n00b way but turned out to be pretty decent.

He who listens sounds like less of a dumbarse
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #53
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Not every rider can or will go do a track day. It would be nice but ain't happenin. Brandon is wanting to go and so do I, but maybe someone that can't or never will will read this thread and get some good advice on just riding on the street.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #54
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
Not every rider can or will go do a track day. It would be nice but ain't happenin.
How you figure?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #55
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
No offence man but you should read the thread instead of posting a useless comment. It was started in a total n00b way but turned out to be pretty decent.

He who listens sounds like less of a dumbarse

+1 Ive actually ridden with Brandon and he is a VERY conservative rider. Hes one of the few people on here who are. Alot of people on here ride complete different than the "keep it on the track" talk that say on here.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #56
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

I've ridden with Brandon a few times also. He seems to know his ability and rides his own ride. I'd ride with him anytime.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #57
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix600 View Post
+1 Ive actually ridden with Brandon and he is a VERY conservative rider. Hes one of the few people on here who are. Alot of people on here ride complete different than the "keep it on the track" talk that say on here.
me too and +1...I would ride with Brandon any day of the week.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #58
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
is good that you want to learn but i bet that you will learn faster and safer at the track. Too many risks on the stret or forest. Be safe, lots of good input in this site.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #59
robz1000
Finding My Mojo

Bike(s):
2014 HD Low Rider
2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
Not every rider can or will go do a track day. It would be nice but ain't happenin. Brandon is wanting to go and so do I, but maybe someone that can't or never will will read this thread and get some good advice on just riding on the street.
Good advise? LOL...tellin' guys to go at least double, even triple the posted speed into a blind curve on a public road?

Looks like dangerous advise to me....I'll pass on any group rides with ya'll too.
robz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #60
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Was not me that said to do double or triple the posted speed. I agree, that can be bad advise. I say take the corner at what you are comfortable with and go from there. And yes people have to remember that things can be unpredictable on the street like blind curves and dead dogs etc.

Advertisement