MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

spherical and rotary engine combustion?

will this type of engine do motorcylces any good?
motorcycle design

rotary
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air powered bike-uses scuba tank and rotary engine grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-21-2012 12:05 AM
Rotary Engine Mechanic? Infinite Off Topic 13 11-21-2011 04:53 PM
1975 Suzuki Rotary find gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-10-2009 10:46 AM
GPR vs Scotts rotary Dub_B83 Performance and Modifications 44 06-19-2007 11:46 AM
reciprocating internal combustion engine tcmatt Off Topic 7 05-19-2006 04:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
i did some nerding out on rotary motors a while back.

they have been used in motorcycles before, though not extensivly, it just didnt catch on due to various factors.

look up suzuki RE-5. one problem with rotary motors is that the fuel economy is not all that great. at the time suzuki tried it, gas prices went up significantly just before release. this hurt its sales, as well as it being made primarily as a touring bike, the lower MPG meant less range and more stops. some of its other problems has nothing to do with the engine, like a poorly places exhaust that was a notorious leg-burner. even still, the rotary got a bad rap, and no ones really tried with it since then.

that was back in the mid 70's, though. technology has come a long way, and with it the MPG could be improved somewhat. problem remains though, gas prices have only gone up, meaning the end result is about the same.

one the biggest perks of the rotary, imo is the simplicity of the internals, a small fraction of part compared to a conventional engine, more reliable way less prone to failure, and less parts to deal with if it does fail.

the problem with that is most consumers dont care. they rarely experiance an engine failure and if they do they either total the vehicle, or its warrantied. plus they dont have to be the one to fix it anyways. why should they care how many parts the mechanic has to deal with?

imo, its a "mechanics" engine if there is such a thing. thats not to say it doesnt peform, it is right there with other sport engines.

take a look at the mazda RX7 and RX8. i believe mazda is the only factory still putting any grain of faith and r & d money into rotary, and im glad they are. im hoping someone comes up with a breakthrough that will bring it to the forefront.

as for the spherical motor...cripes. i would like to see a prototype in action, i would have to compare it to a twin, it seems like that would have alot of rotating mass. who wants a bowling ball in the middle of their engine???!?!!

i think it said its made of ceramic, i suppose to keep it lightweight, but i dunno how well that would hold up. arched surfaces are supposed to be better than right angles etc, but with all those groves and moving little ...i just dont know. again, id like to see a working model with some data...

im all for experimental designs though. first production jet bike, you know i am on it...how about a nuke powered bike? i can just see it now, everyone complaining about the price of uranium. lol.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

thanks chris for taking the time to write all that, was also wondering about timing on the spark plugs on the the rotary ball, seems maybe less stuff to worry about parts wise but a headache to actually fix, i had forgot that mazda rx7 had that rotary engine, it would suck though if the only wa to get parts for this sucker was through the manafacturer like mazda, has and they control the price
Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
haha, np. rotary engines fascinate me. something about the tri-anguler design and the ingenius method of its working reminds me of egyptian/alien technology.

oooOooO. conspiracy theory: CEO of mazda is last surviving decendant of pharoh/alien race. yup. i wanna kidnap that guy and pull the zipper down on the back of his head to reveal his uber gray skin and huge eyes....

...or something. lol.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

my friend drives a fd. amazing peice of machine, especially being 15 years old.

these engines can create a lot of hp not torque though? if so seems like they would be perfect for bikes

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
i did some nerding out on rotary motors a while back.

they have been used in motorcycles before, though not extensivly, it just didnt catch on due to various factors.

look up suzuki RE-5. one problem with rotary motors is that the fuel economy is not all that great. at the time suzuki tried it, gas prices went up significantly just before release. this hurt its sales, as well as it being made primarily as a touring bike, the lower MPG meant less range and more stops. some of its other problems has nothing to do with the engine, like a poorly places exhaust that was a notorious leg-burner. even still, the rotary got a bad rap, and no ones really tried with it since then.

that was back in the mid 70's, though. technology has come a long way, and with it the MPG could be improved somewhat. problem remains though, gas prices have only gone up, meaning the end result is about the same.

one the biggest perks of the rotary, imo is the simplicity of the internals, a small fraction of part compared to a conventional engine, more reliable way less prone to failure, and less parts to deal with if it does fail.

the problem with that is most consumers dont care. they rarely experiance an engine failure and if they do they either total the vehicle, or its warrantied. plus they dont have to be the one to fix it anyways. why should they care how many parts the mechanic has to deal with?

imo, its a "mechanics" engine if there is such a thing. thats not to say it doesnt peform, it is right there with other sport engines.

take a look at the mazda RX7 and RX8. i believe mazda is the only factory still putting any grain of faith and r & d money into rotary, and im glad they are. im hoping someone comes up with a breakthrough that will bring it to the forefront.

as for the spherical motor...cripes. i would like to see a prototype in action, i would have to compare it to a twin, it seems like that would have alot of rotating mass. who wants a bowling ball in the middle of their engine???!?!!

i think it said its made of ceramic, i suppose to keep it lightweight, but i dunno how well that would hold up. arched surfaces are supposed to be better than right angles etc, but with all those groves and moving little ...i just dont know. again, id like to see a working model with some data...

im all for experimental designs though. first production jet bike, you know i am on it...how about a nuke powered bike? i can just see it now, everyone complaining about the price of uranium. lol.

well they have used rotaries in boats,airplanes and they have done pretty well but there are very important factors like reliability, safeness...But when it comes to power they are aweesome

and if anyone is ever interested in a rotary engine, let me know , I still have a few laying around in my storage. (or if they need a rebuild)

Last edited by R6Spartan; 01-31-2008 at 11:27 AM.
R6Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-SPARTAN View Post
well they have used rotaries in boats,airplanes and they have done pretty well but there are very important factors like reliability, safeness...But when it comes to power they are aweesome

and if anyone is ever interested in a rotary engine, let me know , I still have a few laying around in my storage. (or if they need a rebuild)
what would they fit?

Advertisement