MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
AhmadHasib
Turkey Sammich: Mmmm Good

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Question about Roll Starting your Fuel Injected Bikes

I've read some people talk about push starting their bike when their bike's battery runs out at random occasions such as, filling gas at a gas station and such. But I'm a little confused with this idea.

Fuel Injected engines require an ECU of some sort so it can be programed to know how much fuel to spray inside the motor. This ECU would require some sort of power from a battery. If the battery is dead, how is the ECU (or what ever computer used) getting its "juice" to read the information about fuel going to fuel injectors once the bike gets running?

I understand how it could work on a carburettor type engine (no ECU or such required), but not really following with a Fuel Injected motor.
Warming up your fuel-injected beast... NitroHonda General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 04-01-2011 08:33 AM
carb'd vs Fuel injected venezuelan12 Stunters Lounge 11 11-02-2009 10:19 PM
first bike, fuel injected or carbeurated? along77082 Safety Corner Main 31 04-21-2008 06:30 PM
Need help with a new fuel pump, bike isnt starting!!!! HoustonGixxer How To's and Q & A's 4 03-19-2008 11:10 PM
Carburator or fuel injected??? ttRan General Discussion (Moto Related) 55 10-12-2007 04:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
ever323
Mayhem

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
ZX6R up in flames
07 1000RR

your battery will never go 100% dead and is very little what you need to for the FI.
ever323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

As he said. Your ECU needs at least 10 volts to operate (i believe it's 10V). Also there must be enough juice left in the battery to run the fuel pump. Just so you know also, the higher gear you try to push start the bike in - th easier it will be to push. the trade off is that the engine will turn over slower.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

As long as there's enough power to cycle the fuel pump and pressurize the rail it'll probably start.
If not, you can jump it off from a car, just make sure the car is NOT running.
A cars alterator puts out too much amperage while it's running and can fry a bikes charging system.
Hope this answered your question.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
AhmadHasib
Turkey Sammich: Mmmm Good

Experience: 1 year

thanks guys
Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Patrick my old CBR would not charge a battery if the charge had gotten below 10V I could push start it but it would not charge. Have you seen this?? I noticed this when I let it get low and when I pushed it I got in near home but it quit running and the batt was down to 8.1V even with the bike motor spinning. checking thing out it would jump up to 14.7 as soon as the battery was charged above 10V.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I've confirmed that a hayabusa with a dead battery will not run, even if rolled down a parking garage for 3 stories, and another 2 stories even with the clutch pull switch bridged so the bike thinks the clutch is pulled in. Jump starts right up tho.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
dirtybaydj

Bike(s):
03 Gixxer 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
Patrick my old CBR would not charge a battery if the charge had gotten below 10V I could push start it but it would not charge. Have you seen this?? I noticed this when I let it get low and when I pushed it I got in near home but it quit running and the batt was down to 8.1V even with the bike motor spinning. checking thing out it would jump up to 14.7 as soon as the battery was charged above 10V.
When I stayed in Austin a few of my friends and I rode to SA. One of them had an old CBR also and the battery kept going dead every time we stopped. What we decided to do is for him and I to switch battery so my Gixxer could charge his while riding. Needless to say that mine worked a couple of times for him before mine went dead. We ended up parking the bikes an just walke around then when we decided to leave we switched back to our original battery. Also I was told if you need to push stat a bike it is better to use 2nd gear rather than first due to non experienced people flipping the bike.
dirtybaydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
There probably wasn't enough voltage to "switch" your regulator rectifier.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Often if you try to push start a bike in 1st gear, when you dump the clutch the rear tire will lock.
2nd gear will allow the tire to drive the engine easier and as mentioned by dirtybaydj it will reduce the chances of flipping the bike when the engine starts.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement