MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
cantstuntlikeme
PECKTORIOUS

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2004 yami R6

Cool 89 gsxr questions

i just got an 89 gsxr 750 not completely running and dont really know anything about the bike or bikes in general first of all,
is there a fuel pump on the bike or is it pressureized and if its pressurized where does the line hook up
second what do i really need to do to get it running good like how do i adjust the carbs back to the original setting stuff like that
im open to any suggestions
thanks
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
ContourRoam HD for $89 crzy88 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-19-2011 01:21 PM
89 XR250 ?? amramsey Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 06-30-2009 01:05 PM
gsxr exhaust questions??? FasterFaster Performance and Modifications 2 12-27-2007 06:57 PM
97 wheel fit a 89 gsxr madvette74 Performance and Modifications 1 11-07-2005 12:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

First, it would help to know what's wrong with it.

But it's not a fuel injected bike, there's no fuel pump, the fuel is gravity fed to the carbs, it hooks up under the tank, and to "get the carbs back to original settings" is not possible if it has a jet kit (unless you can find the original needles or set them back to "stock" height, main air jet, pilot jet, main jet, etc)

Has it been sitting up for a while or something?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
cantstuntlikeme
PECKTORIOUS

Bike(s):
2004 yami R6

yeh i bought it as a parts bike and then found a frame and another parts bike so i think i have everything for it
i dont know whats wrong with it i hooked it up to jumpers and sprayed in some ether to see if it would try to turn over and it did now i just have to get it running off of gas install the alternator put on the broke farings and then ill be ok i think i dont know much about carbs or bikes in general
Old 01-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
cantstuntlikeme
PECKTORIOUS

Bike(s):
2004 yami R6

anyone have more suggestions
also i have a prob with the gas tank its not putting gas out of the petcock
the bike runs off of ether but dont want to do that very much
Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

It's a vacuum operated petcock except when it's on prime.

It sounds as if the carbs need to be cleaned, and you may need your petcock rebuilt as well.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstuntlikeme View Post
anyone have more suggestions
also i have a prob with the gas tank its not putting gas out of the petcock
the bike runs off of ether but dont want to do that very much
either? either is flamable?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
pix!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Where you located?
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaR6 View Post
either? either is flamable?
Ummm, either is not. On the other hand, ETHER is very flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by intraweb
Ethers

The next flammable liquid hydrocarbon derivative family is ether. The primary hazard of ether is flammability. Ethers have low boiling and flash points, wide flammable ranges, low ignition temperatures, and are non-polar. In addition to being flammable, ethers are anesthetic; they have wide flammable ranges, from 2 to 48% in air; and can form explosive peroxides as the ether ages. When a container of ether is opened, oxygen from the air gets inside and bonds with the oxygen in the ether, forming a very unstable peroxide. Heat, friction, or shock can cause the peroxide to explode. Oxygen has been known to permeate the soldered seam in a metal container even without the container being opened. Ethers can become very dangerous in storage. Most ether should not be stored longer than 6 months. If an aging container of ether is discovered, the nearest bomb squad should be called; the container should be treated as if it were a bomb. Ether compounds are composed of a single oxygen with two hydrocarbon radicals, one on either side of the oxygen. It is expressed by the general formula R-O-R. Ether names do not always follow the trivial naming system. However, the formula will have a single oxygen atom, which indicates the ether family. The radicals on either side of the oxygen may be the same or they may be different. Ether compounds are named by identifying the two hydrocarbon radicals and end the compound with the word ether. As a general rule, if the radicals are different, start with the smallest and name it, then name the second radical, and end with the word ether. For example, the following structure has a methyl radical and an ethyl radical on either side of the oxygen.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It's a vacuum operated petcock except when it's on prime.

It sounds as if the carbs need to be cleaned, and you may need your petcock rebuilt as well.
+1

My guess is that you don't have it hooked up correctly, your carbs are dirty, and likely have other issues too. Good start would be to rebuild the carbs and test the fuel petcock (I remember a lot of people replaced their stock petcocks with on/off fuel valves back then too) as Patrick suggested.

OmegaR6, you need to read things before you try to make a sarcastic post about spelling- he said "Ether", not "either"- yeah, "ether" is flamable, that's why the other market name is "starting fluid"
Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
cantstuntlikeme
PECKTORIOUS

Bike(s):
2004 yami R6

thankx guys ill be workin on it next weekend so ill probably be back on then

ETHER haha
Old 01-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Don't use ether on it if you can help it. Very bad for all aluminum motors.

Take your carbs to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. It will cost more than you think it should but it will be worth every penny you spend. If you aren't careful you can screw them up. There are little seals and passages that can either not get clean and all the work is for nothing, or they get messed up from improper cleaners or technique and you still have wasted your time.

i used to be a service manager at a Yamaha shop and I'm telling you from experience, get them cleaned by a pro. Patrick will do you right AND he gives discounts to MotoHouston members.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Or do a search on here for posts by me about how to rebuild carbs. But Patrick is far easier and you'll get way better results.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

If you're anywhere nearby I wouldn't mind lending a hand
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
First, it would help to know what's wrong with it.

But it's not a fuel injected bike, there's no fuel pump, the fuel is gravity fed to the carbs, it hooks up under the tank, and to "get the carbs back to original settings" is not possible if it has a jet kit (unless you can find the original needles or set them back to "stock" height, main air jet, pilot jet, main jet, etc)

Has it been sitting up for a while or something?
Carbed gsxr's have fuel pumps....
Noob
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

No fuel pump in GSXR's till 1996.

BTW, I got my old 88 GSXR750 racebike for sale w/ sharkskins, Pro-Lite rotors, Yosh kit harness, Yosh duplex pipe, Vortex bracket, Vortex sprockets, 92 GSXR rear wheel to use 180/190 tires, Fox shock w/ fresh rebuild and lots of spares. Oh yea, Champeenship winning too. lol Someone please come get this thing outta my shop.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement