Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #61
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"Defendant **** refused to authorize the repair of Plaintiffs' vehicles with factory-authorized parts made by or for the original equipment manufacturer. Defendant **** directed certain of the Plaintiffs to either (a) accept repairs to Plaintiffs' vehicles utilizing inferior imitation parts, or (b) pay the difference between the cost of the inferior imitation parts and the cost of the factory-authorized parts made by or for the original equipment manufacturer. In a common variation on this theme, the body shop repairing another plaintiff's vehicle installed OEM parts, even though **** only authorized and paid for inferior imitation parts, because the body shop technicians knew that imitation parts were categorically inferior and would not restore the vehicle back to its pre-loss condition. In this and numerous similar instances, the body shop absorbed the cost difference between the non-OEM parts for which **** paid and the OEM parts that were actually installed. Copies of certain Plaintiffs' invoices reflecting the cost of repair with the nonfactory authorized or non-OEM parts are attached. Plaintiffs' affidavits are attached."
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
would you report insurance fraud at a local dealership? green600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 74 01-03-2013 12:39 PM
MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE/CAR INSURANCE PETE General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 11-06-2005 03:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #62
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Why should a used car get brand new parts?

Ok i gotta WORK... i WILL continue this convo tonight if anybody wants to oblige me!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #63
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastGSXR View Post
Why should someone driving a vehicle, involved in an accident not their fault have their car repaired using weaker or inferior parts?

The insurer chose to insure the driver based on a certain value... if that driver proves to be accident prone, it is their right to raise that drivers rates or cancel their policy. It's their risk, they chose to assume by insuring that driver.
The 'origin' of 'insurance' was not meant to be a guaranteed profit.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #64
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
i would expect to get parts of the same condition they were before the wreck... and most of the time, that is in "like new" condition. whether it be new or used, i want OEM parts in the correct condition. notice i didn't say NEW OEM parts, just OEM parts period
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #65
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:

Ok i gotta WORK... i WILL continue this convo tonight if anybody wants to oblige me!

Ok, my car will be a collectors car in years to come. Say someone runs into it, and it's only cosmetic. If some Taiwanese fenders, bumpers, hood, etc. . . are thrown on, it WILL devalue the car greatly even right now. Nevermind the value it will have lost in another 25 years.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #66
Candy

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Why should someone driving a vehicle, involved in an accident not their fault have their car repaired using weaker or inferior parts?

The insurer chose to insure the driver based on a certain value... if that driver proves to be accident prone, it is their right to raise that drivers rates or cancel their policy. It's their risk, they chose to assume by insuring that driver.
The 'origin' of 'insurance' was not meant to be a guaranteed profit.
I wouldn't put weaker or inferior parts on any car, but a used refurbished part of the highest quality is gonna make no difference to your car than a brand new one! it isn't.. u don't KNOW the difference unless someone told u.

as far as profit. Let's say u were with INS CO A for 5 years and over that period u paid about $3k in premiums, they paid a few claims for u all totalling $10k, in the scheme of things the company has LOST ON U. it would take u insuring ur vehs with them another 10 YEARS with NO ACCIDENTS for them to profit off of ur particular policy, so the ins co are very AWARE that it isn't gauranteed profit

I gotta work i'm sorry guys
Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #67
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
ok, so I have a few peeps on here that disagree with me when I say that insurance fraud affects all insured motorists....as in higher rates for everyone....

am I wrong?

am I the only one (besides PoPo of course) that mans up when we screw up?

It kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and it was everybody's fault, except my own of course. If you screw up and make poor decisions in life, please don't pass those mistakes down to honest individuals who try to abide by the law and try to be positive members of society.

Thanks,

DBuck
+1... I know that many talk about how insurance companies Fudge the customer and blah blah blah blah... BUT 2 wrongs do not make a Right!!! IMO... be HONEST for yourself and not for someone else... just because they rip us off doesnt mean you should be dishonest and do the same... there are many aspects of life that treat us as a public unfairly, but we must live our lives as best/honest as possible if only to be able to look in the mirror at night and say " I did the right thing "
Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #68
amber|alexis

Experience: 4 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
ok, so I have a few peeps on here that disagree with me when I say that insurance fraud affects all insured motorists....as in higher rates for everyone....

am I wrong?

am I the only one (besides PoPo of course) that mans up when we screw up?

It kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and it was everybody's fault, except my own of course. If you screw up and make poor decisions in life, please don't pass those mistakes down to honest individuals who try to abide by the law and try to be positive members of society.

Thanks,

DBuck

FINALLY we agree on SOMEthing

amber|alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #69
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
I wouldn't put weaker or inferior parts on any car, but a used refurbished part of the highest quality is gonna make no difference to your car than a brand new one! it isn't.. u don't KNOW the difference unless someone told u.
The quote I provided, and to which you responded to about parts... comes from a class action lawsuit in which the particular Insurance carrier was using parts of lesser quality than were originaly on the car. Further they did this w/o notifying the insured this was thier policy.
Now tell me, what process SF has in regards to testing 'used' parts to sure their are as strong/safe/reliable as was on the car prior to it's being in an accident. THAT is the reason OEM parts cost more, because their are tested/guaranteed to meet certain standards...it's not because thier 'new', heck those parts could have been setting on a shelf for years collecting dust.

"as far as profit. Let's say u were with INS CO A for 5 years and over that period u paid about $3k in premiums, they paid a few claims for u all totalling $10k, in the scheme of things the company has LOST ON U. it would take u insuring ur vehs with them another 10 YEARS with NO ACCIDENTS for them to profit off of ur particular policy, so the ins co are very AWARE that it isn't gauranteed profit"

Lets be realistic, most insurance carriers would drop someone before or as the approached that mark.
Yes your correct their aware it isn't, but by the same token there are people within them that have taken action to attempt to make them so, and as can be evidenced by case files on the internet... partaking in illegal actions to do so.

By no means am I saying it is right to attempt to defraud the insurance companies. It is also not right, for the insurance companies to attempt to screw and/or defraud the people they are paid to 'protect'.

Last edited by Ulric; 01-25-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #70
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4i amber View Post
FINALLY we agree on SOMEthing

I really don't dislike you...
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #71
Candy

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch View Post
Ok, my car will be a collectors car in years to come. Say someone runs into it, and it's only cosmetic. If some Taiwanese fenders, bumpers, hood, etc. . . are thrown on, it WILL devalue the car greatly even right now. Nevermind the value it will have lost in another 25 years.
The point isn't to devalue the vehicle or ADD value either. If a weaker part is used that devalues that car, lawsuit it is, but if a OEM used part is placed on that vehicle, it's not anymore devalued than it already was as a vehicle with miles on it.

now just for the sake of argument, Take in mind ur collectors 1965 Cadillac, whose manufaturing new OEM bumpers on that today? NO ONE, so finding the parts used is in this case probably ur only option.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #72
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"The point isn't to devalue the vehicle or ADD value either. If a weaker part is used that devalues that car, lawsuit it is, but if a OEM used part is placed on that vehicle, it's not anymore devalued than it already was as a vehicle with miles on it. "

Why should there be a lawsuit? Why shouldn't the carrier be expected to user the proper part? That is the very purpose for OEM parts.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #73
Candy

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Quote:
The quote I provided, and to which you responded to about parts... comes from a class action lawsuit in which the particular Insurance carrier was using parts of lesser quality than were originaly on the car. Further they did this w/o notifying the insured this was thier policy.
Now tell me, what process SF has in regards to testing 'used' parts to sure their are as strong/safe/reliable as was on the car prior to it's being in an accident. THAT is the reason OEM parts cost more, because their are tested/guaranteed to meet certain standards...it's not because thier 'new', heck those parts could have been setting on a shelf for years collecting dust.

Lets be realistic, most insurance carriers would drop someone before or as the approached that mark.
Yes your correct their aware it isn't, but by the same token there are people within them that have taken action to attempt to make them so, and as can be evidenced by case files on the internet... partaking in illegal actions to do so.

By no means am I saying it is right to attempt to defraud the insurance companies. It is also not right, for the insurance companies to attempt to screw and/or defraud the people they are paid to 'protect'.

Using walmart brand parts vs name brand was the bulk of that suit, and it was a just suit, but the fact that a used OEM part IS of the same tested/gauranteed quality it was when it was brand new, is the fact of the matter!

So when it boils down to quality a USED OEM is gonna put ur vehicle back to where it was just the same as a NEW OEM, as long as walmart parts aren't on it!

I GOTTA GO TO WORK PEEPS
Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #74
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
The point isn't to devalue the vehicle or ADD value either. If a weaker part is used that devalues that car, lawsuit it is, but if a OEM used part is placed on that vehicle, it's not anymore devalued than it already was as a vehicle with miles on it.

now just for the sake of argument, Take in mind ur collectors 1965 Cadillac, whose manufaturing new OEM bumpers on that today? NO ONE, so finding the parts used is in this case probably ur only option.

I said in a previous post that used OEM parts are perfectly fine with me, given that they are perfect. I refuse to accept a fender with 10 pounds of bondo hanging on it though OEM or not. There is a lot of NOS parts around, or if worse comes to worse, repair the original, no matter the cost.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #75
Candy

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Quote:
"The point isn't to devalue the vehicle or ADD value either. If a weaker part is used that devalues that car, lawsuit it is, but if a OEM used part is placed on that vehicle, it's not anymore devalued than it already was as a vehicle with miles on it. "

Why should there be a lawsuit? Why shouldn't the carrier be expected to user the proper part? That is the very purpose for OEM parts.
There shouldn't be a suit, but in the consumer bill of rights for personal auto insurance, if an insurance company violates your rights it allows u to sue for what ur not getting that is reasonable and the integrity of the company and it's practices is at stake. Suits normally bring change to those practices that may be unfair.

Also in that Consumer bill of rights, u have the right to CHOOSE the repair shop AND replacement parts for ur vehicle, the company CAN'T specify the brand, type, kind, age, vendor, supplier, or condition of parts of products used to repair your automobile.

Check it out: http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/rules/bor-auto-english.html

i gotta go!

Last edited by Candy; 01-25-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #76
Candy

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch View Post
I said in a previous post that used OEM parts are perfectly fine with me, given that they are perfect. I refuse to accept a fender with 10 pounds of bondo hanging on it though OEM or not. There is a lot of NOS parts around, or if worse comes to worse, repair the original, no matter the cost.
we agree and ultimately that's what u should be getting come claim time
Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #77
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

...interesting...

"28. DEDUCTIBLE RECOVERY. If another person is liable for damage to your auto and you filed a claim and paid a deductible on your own policy, your insurance company must make a reasonable and diligent effort to recover the deductible from that person within twelve months from the date your claim is paid. If not, your company must:
· authorize you, at least 90 days prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations, to pursue your own collection efforts, or
· refund your deductible."

So, if I understand this.. if I file a claim with my insurance company in regards to an accident. Within 1 year they are obligated to attempt to collect from that party, and failing that they most notify me 90 days before the expiration of that 1yr mark or refund my deductible?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #78
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

I was told by SF that under no means do they have to return my car to before crash conditiion.They refused to do a proper estimate,the body shop ended up adding $6000 more over time to repair.o the car could have been totaled if someone would have done their job properly.The SF agent even refused to talk to me in person.Very unprofessional .And i have state farm also.But my agent refused to intervine
mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #79
Candy

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Quote:
...interesting...

"28. DEDUCTIBLE RECOVERY. If another person is liable for damage to your auto and you filed a claim and paid a deductible on your own policy, your insurance company must make a reasonable and diligent effort to recover the deductible from that person within twelve months from the date your claim is paid. If not, your company must:
authorize you, at least 90 days prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations, to pursue your own collection efforts, or
refund your deductible."

So, if I understand this.. if I file a claim with my insurance company in regards to an accident. Within 1 year they are obligated to attempt to collect from that party, and failing that they most notify me 90 days before the expiration of that 1yr mark or refund my deductible?

It's called subrogation. Within the year after the original claim, the ins co can claim against the person at fault or their insurance co to recoup what was paid out. IF they are successful and get money back, then yes u'll be forwarded a check for what you paid on the deductible. IF they aren't then u get a letter in the mail saying "the responsible party won't respond to our collection efforts", and u can try to handle it thru civil court.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #80
Candy

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
I was told by SF that under no means do they have to return my car to before crash conditiion.They refused to do a proper estimate,the body shop ended up adding $6000 more over time to repair.o the car could have been totaled if someone would have done their job properly.The SF agent even refused to talk to me in person.Very unprofessional .And i have state farm also.But my agent refused to intervine
Wow...who did u off?! That sounds VERY outlandish!!! Purpose of the ins co is to put u back where u were b4 the incident, i could see them telling u under no means do they have to return the car to before crash condition. And an agent REFUSING to talk to u is CRAZY....

Advertisement