MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

Unhappy PoPos Bike rebuild to pre-wreck condition up to 7k...

I spoke to Larry(from MSRHouston) today who did a prelim estimate on my FUBARed bike. It' the first estimate since the accident many of you know I had on 1-12-07 at MSRHouston. Larry advised me that it would cost at least $7,000.00 dollars to build the bike up to Pre-Wreck mint conditions using the best HONDA parts out there... He did say we can cut the cost way back if we use " other " after market parts... OR I can turn it into a track bike and just let her be a track from now on... My insurance will not cover a wreck on the track and I DO NOT INTEND TO LIE as many have suggested... I would rather eat the cost... What would you all do??? I thought of just making it a track bike and then buying another brand new one in the near to semi-near future...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Bike Rebuild. (post them if you got them) floyd600 Taking it to the Track 23 01-11-2012 04:59 PM
My Bike Rebuild (Street to Track) Jenk's Taking it to the Track 39 11-12-2011 02:38 AM
Zorn's bike rebuild thread. Cleaning them up and need help with parts. e.Honda General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 11-16-2009 09:43 AM
Bike Rebuild Party Jan 10th Daily Triumph Events, Meets and Rides 189 01-12-2009 02:02 PM
Bike rebuild!! vicalma03 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 05-31-2007 10:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

ouch! sorry to hear that, but props on going the honest route with it.

why would it be cheaper to go track than street though? just less stuff to replace?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoRiderRR View Post
What would you all do??? I thought of just making it a track bike and then buying another brand new one in the near to semi-near future...
Dude, you'd get a new bike!...why the not??? Go with that plan!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):

yepper... lots of less stuff... plus a track bike does not need to look like a show bike...

*** It just BLOWS that I will have to keep paying for a bike that is not new... I still almost owe the full 11,000 dollars it cost me *** but I guess thats the price we sometimes pay... So thats why I figured that IF Im going to have to keep paying for it I might as well use it , EVEN if its only on the track ***

Last edited by PoPoRiderRR; 01-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoRiderRR View Post
I spoke to Larry(from MSRHouston) today who did a prelim estimate on my FUBARed bike. It' the first estimate since the accident many of you know I had on 1-12-07 at MSRHouston. Larry advised me that it would cost at least $7,000.00 dollars to build the bike up to Pre-Wreck mint conditions using the best HONDA parts out there... He did say we can cut the cost way back if we use " other " after market parts... OR I can turn it into a track bike and just let her be a track from now on... My insurance will not cover a wreck on the track and I DO NOT INTEND TO LIE as many have suggested... I would rather eat the cost... What would you all do??? I thought of just making it a track bike and then buying another brand new one in the near to semi-near future...
Turn it into a track/stunt bike
Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I just lied and commited insurance fraud and State Farm covered me...

Or at least thats what SOME people on here have claimed.

Seriosly though, I crashed there in September and State Farm covered me all the way, they didn't even bat an eye when they found out it took place on a track. I was paid in less than two weeks for the bike, leathers and helmet.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Track it out!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Track days with Buck is a Longhorn Motorcycle School. You tell the ins co that you were taking a motorcycle school which you were. They will cover your losses and you don't have to lie. Yes the school is performed on a closed road course.
At MSR Houston they also have Teen Driving Schools there. The teens take the schools in their own cars and they are still covered under there insurance also.
State troopers also take schools at MSR Houston.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):

No... its not just bc of the fact it was on the track... its bc I had liability with that thing that covers you if someone runs you off the road... some people suggested that I say I was Ran Off the road... NOT!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

You didn't have Collision ins?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):

nope bc Full coverage was 9thousand a year...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
Nox

Bike(s):
06 R1
01 FZ1(sold)
96 vmax(sold)
02 sv650 TRACK! (sold)

does it get any better than a street bike AND a track bike? i should think not. thats why i got my sv650. so my R1 wouldnt be thrown down the track without me on it. and the day my SV did get thrown down the track without me on it, i realized id made a really good decision, however rare i do that.

so my advice to you good sir, go ahead and track this one. there are plenty more bikes being produced.

Im not Ben Spies, but Im from Texas. And I ride a Yamaha.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
dtlam_88
Noob

Bike(s):
03 600RR

Send a message via AIM to dtlam_88 Send a message via Yahoo to dtlam_88
7gs is alot. Just total the bike, collect insurance money, and the 7gs that you would spend on repairs plus the insurance money get a new one.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
dtlam_88
Noob

Bike(s):
03 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlam_88 View Post
7gs is alot. Just total the bike, collect insurance money, and the 7gs that you would spend on repairs plus the insurance money get a new one.
didnt read the forum all the way through. so ignore that one.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
Tobey

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
SV650, Vulcan 500

There's another lesson here that I learned when I was open tracking cars that deserves some thought: If you can't afford to wad it up and walk away from it, you should think twice about taking it to the track. If you are honest, and your insurance pays for a mishap, then great. But if not, then you could be stuck making payments on an expensive pile of parts.

In no way, shape, or form am I singling anyone out for criticism or second-guessing. Everyone makes their own decisions based on their own experiences and desires. My experience was taking my daily driver car to TWS (Texas World Speedway) once, and then I decided never again until I had something I could throw away and not be upset about. It took me 4 more years to fund a dedicated track car, but I had a blast for the next 4 years running it, and I never had to worry about insurance, what I might drive to work on Monday, etc. That peace of mind made a world of difference in my fun-quotient on the track.

I'm going to be doing my first motorcycle track day in a few months. On a bike I bought used, paid cash for, and that I don't rely on for my daily transportation. If I total it, I can walk away disappointed, but no worse off financially, assuming there aren't big medical bills to go along with it.

Again, this isn't aimed at anyone; make up your own mind and do what you want to do. But at least give some thought to whether you can afford to wad up your bike, throw it away, and walk away with no regrets, emotional or financial.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #16
dtlam_88
Noob

Bike(s):
03 600RR

Its not what we would do, its what you would do and what you can afford to do.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
There's another lesson here that I learned when I was open tracking cars that deserves some thought: If you can't afford to wad it up and walk away from it, you should think twice about taking it to the track. If you are honest, and your insurance pays for a mishap, then great. But if not, then you could be stuck making payments on an expensive pile of parts.

In no way, shape, or form am I singling anyone out for criticism or second-guessing. Everyone makes their own decisions based on their own experiences and desires. My experience was taking my daily driver car to TWS (Texas World Speedway) once, and then I decided never again until I had something I could throw away and not be upset about. It took me 4 more years to fund a dedicated track car, but I had a blast for the next 4 years running it, and I never had to worry about insurance, what I might drive to work on Monday, etc. That peace of mind made a world of difference in my fun-quotient on the track.
I'm going to be doing my first motorcycle track day in a few months. On a bike I bought used, paid cash for, and that I don't rely on for my daily transportation. If I total it, I can walk away disappointed, but no worse off financially, assuming there aren't big medical bills to go along with it.

Again, this isn't aimed at anyone; make up your own mind and do what you want to do. But at least give some thought to whether you can afford to wad up your bike, throw it away, and walk away with no regrets, emotional or financial.
Tobey, I dont give 2 if this WAS directed towards me or not... BC if it wasnt IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN... You are 100% RIGHT... Lesson Learned
Old 01-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #18
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I say turn it into a track bike...

I'm praly gonna do that with the 10 cause no one will buy it (in about two months I've only had two people ask about it)!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Look around some BEFORE you decide..........for $7K you might be able to buy another bike AND fix yours. Buying all new Honda parts isn't the only option.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #20
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
Look around some BEFORE you decide..........for $7K you might be able to buy another bike AND fix yours. Buying all new Honda parts isn't the only option.
+1 buy cheaper parts save a few grand make it into a track bike, and get a new bike imo, buy a fiddy for the street
Closed Thread

Advertisement