MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Some 50 questions

Okay, just got my first 50. It's a 2002 XR50r. It looks sweet, and came with street tires(on it) and a free set of dirt tires as well. I haven't had much time to try it out yet because 1.) I just got it home and 2.) It's nasty as outside. But I did ride it around the block a couple times. Here are a few of my questions so far:
-First gear seems really short, almost too short. Do you guys wheelie in first, second, or third?
-It doesn't seem to have enough power to pull itself up on its own regardless of seat position, maybe I'm just not used to it or should there still be noticeable wheelie power?
-Also, I attempted to push it up with my feet in first from a stopped position and it gets up but then the power kinda drops for a second making it unable to keep it up. Normal?
-What are the very basics for learning to wheelie one of these things?
-What other mods should I look into doing immediately and which ones can I hold off on until I get better at riding it? It currently has street tired, upgrading CDI box and msd wires.

~Keith

I'm sure I'll have more questions so whatever I can't find on the boards I'll try to keep in this thread

Thanks
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50 stunt questions upononer6 Stunters Lounge 11 05-18-2011 07:38 AM
Honda NSR 50 questions tonyt915 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 13 02-12-2010 10:06 PM
some 50 title questions (ver. 1million) switch Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 14 07-02-2009 01:57 PM
50 Questions vertigo Stunters Lounge 10 01-21-2008 03:42 PM
street legal 50 questions sbfuller Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 25 01-15-2008 09:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

fifty questions about fiddy bikes, lol
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
infidel
drpickles

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

pm josh302 he can fix it.
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post
pm josh302 he can fix it.
It's broke?
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

they wheelie in both 1st and second...AND third...

bike doent have much power, you have to pull back a bit.

but it you want it to come up, rev the **** out of it in first, and pop it into 2nd REAL fast.....trust me, you will loop it... lol
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
The bike has a lag when you throttle it , so it's all about timing .I may not be a 50 vet, but since my first 50 i have spent hours and hours learning the bike . First gear to learn wheelies,2 gear for a noob not the greatest idea.
And i forgot the other questions you had ,sorry.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

its not broke. when you first get it your like this has no power its impossible to wheelie. but you will soon learn the power band and how to wheelie it.

as far as learning to wheelie. put both feet down stretched out in front of you. give it gas and pull back on the handle bars using your feet as leverage. once its in the air let your feet slide along the ground. this will be hard at first. dont get frustrated if you can only go a foot or two at first. once you can ride the wheelie using just throttle with your feet dragging, start picking one foot up and then balancing from there. once youve mastered that put both feet up

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
infidel
drpickles

Feedback Rating: (0)

stocker is weak period but there are a few things you can do to help it make a lil more power . i ride a stocker and love it
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasee69 View Post
its not broke. when you first get it your like this has no power its impossible to wheelie. but you will soon learn the power band and how to wheelie it.

as far as learning to wheelie. put both feet down stretched out in front of you. give it gas and pull back on the handle bars using your feet as leverage. once its in the air let your feet slide along the ground. this will be hard at first. dont get frustrated if you can only go a foot or two at first. once you can ride the wheelie using just throttle with your feet dragging, start picking one foot up and then balancing from there. once youve mastered that put both feet up
Thanks for all the answers

If any of ya'll are riding anytime soon and feel like helping a total n00b out please let me know!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
real OG's rock stock motors

get a big bar kit and your golden

when the weather clears i plan on trying to organize a giant 50 day since it seems more people have them and are interested in learning
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
I bought a fmf exhaust and went up 4 teeth on rear sprocket ,and it helped out alot. And if your down to ride this weekend shoot me a p.m.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i miss my 50. the 150 gets no use!

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasee69 View Post
i miss my 50. the 150 gets no use!
trade ya
Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #14
stunt-r
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
(2) KLX110 stock-mod class / KLX110 stocker / His & Her XR50s stock-mods

Send a message via AIM to stunt-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
trade ya
BAD! NO NO!!!!

dont even think about getting rid of it already haha

but if you werent in fukking huntsville itd be great...

but as far as your questions...

i rock a 40 tooth rear sprocket, might be 41...either way, that helps out a WHOLE lot. you wouldnt think it would on a 50, but it barely takes anything to lift it up. i dont think that one had big bars on it, thats definitely something you MUST HAVE! BBR sells theres for 200, for the complete kit, and i think "bagwell" is selling a red baron bar kit for a decent price, but either way you need a bar kit.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #15
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt-r View Post
i rock a 40 tooth rear sprocket, might be 41...either way, that helps out a WHOLE lot. you wouldnt think it would on a 50, but it barely takes anything to lift it up. i dont think that one had big bars on it, thats definitely something you MUST HAVE! BBR sells theres for 200, for the complete kit, and i think "bagwell" is selling a red baron bar kit for a decent price, but either way you need a bar kit.
Thanks for the advice

If I leave the stock bars on there for the moment to practice I could obviously ruin them, but would it hurt anything else on the bike to practice with them? I'll check into getting a larger sprocket asap, will I need a new chain with more teeth(not sure what the stock tooth setup is).
Old 01-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #16
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Another question I wanted to throw out there. How hard should they be to ? I had soft shoes on and it was actually hurting my foot to it until I started using the middle of my foot.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #17
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Another question I wanted to throw out there. How hard should they be to ? I had soft shoes on and it was actually hurting my foot to it until I started using the middle of my foot.
Does your "f" key not work?

Sorry that is all, btw I think I got home a lil to late to meet up with you while you were down here

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #18
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Does your "f" key not work?

Sorry that is all, btw I think I got home a lil to late to meet up with you while you were down here
So nowwwww you want to be my friend, huh?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #19
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
So nowwwww you want to be my friend, huh?
I can't wait to get a 50. One way to think of it, since I'm not enrolled in school this semester, the money I save in tuition could buy me a 50................

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #20
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
I can't wait to get a 50. One way to think of it, since I'm not enrolled in school this semester, the money I save in tuition could buy me a 50................
I'll share

If you call me when you say you will bish

Advertisement