MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #21
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

I'm trying to get this done on the cheap side.
Claw hammer and bondo
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so i bought this so i can learn how to do it (attention body repair guys) paniro187 Off Topic 5 12-13-2013 11:33 PM
Body Kit repair and paint in DFW? TrackAddict How To's and Q & A's 2 01-14-2009 03:01 PM
BODY REPAIR SPHINX General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-09-2007 10:00 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #22
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
Hammer + dolly
Please explain Tony
hammer & dolly kits for bodywork are super cheap at Harbor Freight...it may not be the best quality tool, but for what you are doing it should be easy....bondo that bia...tap the dents out almost to the original shape (you still want some indentation on the tank as you wanna be able to mold the bondo) fill beyond the limits of the dent and work the bondo to the tank

the hardest part will be getting those dents to almost the original shape...bondo works well as long as you don't clump HUGE of it to fill gaps....I think 1/4" of depth would be the maximum you'd want it to be....just my opinion of course.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
vertigo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Busa, 03 busa, 08 Artic Cat ATV, 08 CRF50

Send a message via AIM to vertigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
I'm trying to get this done on the cheap side.
Claw hammer and bondo

There is something to be said about having/using the right tool. I know for me, time is money.
08 CRF 50
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
vertigo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Busa, 03 busa, 08 Artic Cat ATV, 08 CRF50

Send a message via AIM to vertigo
Or you could just beat the tank in and call it a stunt bike. Fck, then you dont even have to paint it....
08 CRF 50
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #25
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Come on, did you just ignore my post? :keke:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
The dry ice method works sometimes. We use the same method with sheet metal on cars but we use a torch and cool water quenching with a rag. It's not very effective, and works *sometimes*, not always.

I use a brass rod with a blunt end and a hammer- hammer n dolly method. If it's that small, and you're going to paint it anyway, why not just Bond-o that ?
The dry ice will NOT work on big dents. It's really geared toward smaller dents that are in an area that is relatively flat. You can try it, it won't cost much, but it won't work on what I think you're working on.

Like I mentioned, brass rod with blunt end and body hammer. Get it as close to straight as possible, then Bondo it.

Caution though, as I have told many folks, often the tanks develop pin holes and they'll only surface when you add fuel.