MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #21
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
BS, cause the ones giving the tickets have no regard for what you just said.

I took this pic a couple weeks ago at the Lake Jackson mall in front of sears.

Parked in the fire lane and the officer was no where in sight. I went into sears and after about 5min I see him talking to a sales person about air compressors.

Well at least it was not a law abiding citizen or else they would have got a ticket.

Legal Questions regarding parking on side walks

"To serve and protect" in this case means "Do as I say, not as I do."
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legal questions? wackjum Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 18 04-05-2010 02:10 PM
LEGAL QUESTIONS fourleaf20 Off Topic 3 08-18-2008 09:15 PM
questions for you legal minded level5 Off Topic 40 05-27-2008 03:08 PM
street legal 50 questions sbfuller Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 25 01-15-2008 09:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #22
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Please don't park your bikes on the sidewalk. I am paralyzed and in a wheelchair and I cannot get into some places because bikes park in the way. Remember, I can't hop over a 6" curb. Also, guys please don't park in the striped off areas in and around the handicap parking spots. I see this all too often with bikes. When I could ride, I never did it. There was always somewhere else to park. I have been a and called the cops on several occasions. Trust me, they don't like to come to a call for a parking violation so they are not too kind to the guilty party. You wouldn't expect to be able to park your car on the sidewalk so don't park your bike on it. Pushing a wheelchair through wet, muddy grass me off when I have to go around a bike. I may start pushing them over! Lol....So I take it back, park where you want...at your own risk of course. Lol
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #23
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
Please don't park your bikes on the sidewalk. I am paralyzed and in a wheelchair and I cannot get into some places because bikes park in the way. Remember, I can't hop over a 6" curb. Also, guys please don't park in the striped off areas in and around the handicap parking spots. I see this all too often with bikes. When I could ride, I never did it. There was always somewhere else to park. I have been a and called the cops on several occasions. Trust me, they don't like to come to a call for a parking violation so they are not too kind to the guilty party. You wouldn't expect to be able to park your car on the sidewalk so don't park your bike on it. Pushing a wheelchair through wet, muddy grass me off when I have to go around a bike. I may start pushing them over! Lol....So I take it back, park where you want...at your own risk of course. Lol
Very good points. To be honest, I do the same when I see cars with drivers, who are obviously not disabled, park in the HC spots. It me off, and I'm aware of the difficulties it imposes because my ex-gf's (from HS) mom was disabled and had to contend with these peeps taking up the HC spots. The only time I would park on the "sidewalk" portion of a business is if it were in a wide open area, leaving at least 5 feet for wheelchairs to pass around, and park it parallel and close to the wall. If a sidewalk is not wide enough, I wouldn't even consider parking there.

In fact, I've often wondered, if I were to take a pic of a non-hc cager parking his vehicle in a HC zone, including his license plate #, and sent the pic to the cops, if they could mail the a-hole a ticket?
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
In fact, I've often wondered, if I were to take a pic of a non-hc cager parking his vehicle in a HC zone, including his license plate #, and sent the pic to the cops, if they could mail the a-hole a ticket?
Nah, they won't do anything about that. You have to have the officer there to confront them. They have to compare the HC Placard# to the person using the space's Drivers License.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #25
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
Nah, they won't do anything about that. You have to have the officer there to confront them. They have to compare the HC Placard# to the person using the space's Drivers License.
That sucks, because I see this happen all the time... and I mean ALL THE TIME!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #26
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

As mentioned before you can get a ticket. I got one for doing it downtown a while back.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #27
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Private property... ask the management for permission.

Other sidewalk... dont.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #28
Homebrew
AkA Rubbersidedown

Feedback Rating: (25)

Bike(s):
gsxr 600
custom pocket rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
Private property... ask the management for permission.

Other sidewalk... dont.
pre-k quick question......i parked both my vehicles in my own driveway so my i backed em up all the way to the curb,so my kids could play basket ball in my driveway.....i actually got a ticket for blocking the sidewalk.

is there a law against this ? i see people all the time with 4 cars in the driveway and they block the sidewalk

i just can not believe i got a ticket for being in my own driveway and blocking a side walk......please explain
Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #29
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersidedown View Post
pre-k quick question......i parked both my vehicles in my own driveway so my i backed em up all the way to the curb,so my kids could play basket ball in my driveway.....i actually got a ticket for blocking the sidewalk.

is there a law against this ? i see people all the time with 4 cars in the driveway and they block the sidewalk

i just can not believe i got a ticket for being in my own driveway and blocking a side walk......please explain
You may think it was your driveway! Lol But truthfully, it is considered the easement. The easement is property of the city. I had a constable tell me that if I didn't move mine, he'd ticket me and have it towed off. I thought he was BSing me but he was dead serious. Now that I am in a chair, I can see the reasons now.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #30
RBLCHIC
599 Chic

Bike(s):
2006 Honda 599

I've gotten a warning before for parking on the sidewalk at Best Buy.
RBLCHIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #31
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
You may think it was your driveway! Lol But truthfully, it is considered the easement. The easement is property of the city. I had a constable tell me that if I didn't move mine, he'd ticket me and have it towed off. I thought he was BSing me but he was dead serious. Now that I am in a chair, I can see the reasons now.
Yep. You're Property Line is typically 24" from the inside edge of a public sidewalk, and the driveway beyond that line to the paved street is within the Easement/Right of Way. This is why you would typically see an expansion joint in your driveway, at about 24" inside the sidewalk edge.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #32
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:

If he gave you a ticket for that, then he was just being an *ss, imho. It's not like you knew, and it was your driveway = honest mistake. He should have just given you a warning for something like that.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #33
Homebrew
AkA Rubbersidedown

Feedback Rating: (25)

Bike(s):
gsxr 600
custom pocket rocket

Quote:
If he gave you a ticket for that, then he was just being an *ss, imho. It's not like you knew, and it was your driveway = honest mistake. He should have just given you a warning for something like that.
i spoke with the city and they said someone complained.....daily?

if they had a problem, at least ask me to move them>>>>>>>>>>
Old 01-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #34
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Maybe you have a disabled neighbor that uses that route to get to the mailboxes or a neighbor that doesn't want their kids to go into the street on their bikes but are forced to? Who knows?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #35
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:

yes - on the news a couple of weeks ago they had a segment about people whose large SUVs were blocking the sidewalk.

As mentioned before - it may be your driveway but from the sidewalk on out is city easement and it cannot be blocked or a ticket will result.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #36
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
i spoke with the city and they said someone complained.....daily?

if they had a problem, at least ask me to move them>>>>>>>>>>
Yeah, people can't seem to do that anymore. They'd rather call the "authorities", instead of being a neighbor.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #37
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

I'll try and find the article in 'The Facts', the local paper for Lake Jackson. They had a swarm of ticket-writing a year or two ago... It is definitely illegal to block the sidewalk in front of the house, also to park parallel to the street, over the curb with your car's wheels (or mirror) over the sidewalk.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #38
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

sorry, their articles only go back 1 month.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #39
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
Yeah, people can't seem to do that anymore. They'd rather call the "authorities", instead of being a neighbor.
That's because when people make the attempt to be neighbors and discuss things the party that is the offender usually goes off because someone is challenging their "f*ck everyone its my driveway/yard/property and I can do whatever the I want and everyone else has to put up with it." attitude.

A good neighbor would recognize that it is an issue BEFORE it happens.

Like my neighbor, who insists on parking a car across the street right out the end of my driveway even though there is an entire block to park their car on. This even blocks the mail carrier from access to their mailbox so the mail is not delivered.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #40
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I use parking spots alot but I take up the whole thing so I don't become a victim of a person swinging a car into a spot relying on their brakes.

In my side of town, I do park on the sidewalk or crossed off sections that aren't in the way of anyone. If people can easily walk around it, I don't park there; last thing I want is someone to burn a leg on the exhaust and complain to me about it.

Advertisement