MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #41
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Re: Michelin Pilot Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Yep that is a kneedown corner but you guys are way off the curbing there. The fastest I have ever noticed myself entering that turn was about 96 while still scrubbibg speed off trail braking.... the front has pushed on me in that corner and Andy went down there from to much corner entry speed. If you get the exit right on that corner yo are really setup for the straight heading to T4 which then you can hold plenty of speed in. *:dontknow:

Just more of my idiot rambling.
your are right. i hug it alot and usually gas it while standing up the bike to go up wheelie hill. hence my high side* right:
You remeber what gear you where in? I know your bike has more then mine.... I am usually in 2nd going into T3 and blip into 3rd on wheelie hill, which keeps the front down... unless I feel like playing around.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pilot Powers DrAwkwArD General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 06-16-2010 11:45 PM
Michelin Pilot Powers vs 2ct bigjay General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-02-2010 11:33 PM
I need Pilot Powers For Cheap......Where??? DrunkMagnet General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-18-2007 02:39 PM
Pilot powers for a Gsxr600 0oAndyo0 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 01-06-2006 04:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #42
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

i was in third. im in 2nd in turn 2 and up shift into 3rd and ride that out until after wheelie hill into turn 4, where i shift down to 2nd again.

i usually get on the gas after every turn but not always WOT unless i want to pass somebody really bad.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #43
S14

Buells are so tiny.
S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #44
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
i was in third. im in 2nd in turn 2 and up shift into 3rd and ride that out until after wheelie hill into turn 4, where i shift down to 2nd again.

i usually get on the gas after every turn but not always WOT unless i want to pass somebody really bad.
Wow... I am in 4th in T2, 3rd if I want to make a pass... that is crazy you are in 2nd.

I then dowshift to 2nd heading into T3 and back into 3rd on wheelie hill. right:

Old 09-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #45
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

what gear are you on the straight. im in 5th then i click three down after the bump going into turn 1.

so i guess you are right jason. im in either 2nd or 3rd in turn 2. turn 1 is almost like a straight for me. thanks to gianni he told me what do to make it one right:
Old 09-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #46
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Yep that is a kneedown corner but you guys are way off the curbing there. The fastest I have ever noticed myself entering that turn was about 96 while still scrubbibg speed off trail braking.... the front has pushed on me in that corner and Andy went down there from to much corner entry speed. If you get the exit right on that corner yo are really setup for the straight heading to T4 which then you can hold plenty of speed in. :dontknow:

Just more of my idiot rambling.
During that pic I was following my buddy Robert for a few laps (he posts as SitTLSit on HSN). I normally take a much tighter line... I honestly have no idea what speed I'm at anywhere on the track. I never look at my speedometer save for the front straight.

lstdjuly040102ja
Old 09-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #47
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Personally, I really don't have a lot of experience with street tires at the track... but no matter what tires you are running, listen to what Patrick said on the cold tire pressure. Also, the basic goal of all street and just about all race tires is to be at 35 to 36 psi when hot. That is, right when you come off the track. Check your hot pressure then. If you are around 40 psi and the bike still feels fine... just wait when you start getting more speed. The bike will starting moving around on you the faster you go. Conversly, if tire pressure is too low when you get off the track, steering will feel mushy and you will eat up a tire faster as well. Anyway, you will NOT be disappointed in a nice set of DOT race rubber.

>> at TWS (Texas World Speedway) if your run
>>
>> less then 2:00, then you prolly should be on race tires
>> 2:00-2:10/15's race tires would be a good idea, but if your
>> primarily a street rider then street tires
>> 2:15+ street tires are more then enough

This is pretty darn close I'd say. The tricky part is not waiting too long, biting the bullet and getting some DOT rubber... for added piece of mind and to allow your progession. Making mistakes on street tires can be less forgiving than on race tires as well. If you're getting some more speed and stepping up your game a little more, a pannick situation might be too much for street rubber, but fine for race rubber... maybe not.

In any case, be as smooth as you can and have fun! :biggthumpup:

The horseshoe... the tighter line is the way to go for sure.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #48
zixx6r

Quote:
Yep that is a kneedown corner but you guys are way off the curbing there. The fastest I have ever noticed myself entering that turn was about 96 while still scrubbibg speed off trail braking.... the front has pushed on me in that corner and Andy went down there from to much corner entry speed.
Turn 3 gave me a nice scare after I apexed too early and almost lost the front mid-corner. After that experience I will be thinking twice before I take that turn at 120 mph

Thanks Jeff, I will be looking for an extra pair of Ebay wheels over the winter to mount a dedicated set of track tires. I'll save the Powers for the street.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:53 PM   #49
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
what gear are you on the straight. im in 5th then i click three down after the bump going into turn 1.

so i guess you are right jason. im in either 2nd or 3rd in turn 2. turn 1 is almost like a straight for me. thanks to gianni he told me what do to make it one* right:
The goal on the big straight should be to get near the top of 6th. Otherwise you are not utilizing the full potential of the bike on the track. I went one down in the front on the gearing and that allowed for me to get there. Which on the 600RR is indicating about 161mph before I let off the gas. Talk with Ronnie, Jeff or Patrick out there about what they are getting from the 636. I really have no clue about that bike at the track except it is a monster. right:

Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #50
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

>> Thanks Jeff, I will be looking for an extra pair of Ebay wheels over the winter
>> to mount a dedicated set of track tires. I'll save the Powers for the street.

You shant be disappointed. right: Also save a few pennies here and there for se of tire warmers. Instead of taking a couple laps to heat them up, let the warmers do the work. The "process" to use warmers is really easy once you go through it once.

>> The goal on the big straight should be to get near the top of 6th. Otherwise
>> you are not utilizing the full potential of the bike on the track.

You guys are on fire! :cool: Very true. Of course, it depends on the bike and rider, etc, but most people either go down one on the front or add two to the rear for starters. For my '03 636, it was a little different though. The front remained stock and had to reduce the size of my rear sprocket by one tooth because with the stock gearing, I was hitting the limiter too soon. Again, this depends on the bike, rider, etc. The 636 might have a liiiiittle "shorter" gearing than most (the '03/'04 model anyway)... but then of course there's my smokin' drive out of the final turn and onto the banking. :laughing6: (I crack myself up)

Anyway, for those who are not at the point to where they feel comfortable entering T1 at close to redline in top gear, worry about corner entry/exit and throttle/brake control for now... then the rest will come naturally and you'll have a better idea on what your bike might need.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #51
BubbaRRay

Feedback Rating: (7)

I am not by any means an expert, but I redline in 6th at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and take the high line into T1 after the bump I get 2 downshifts stay just to the right of the yellow paint and hold the line until I squeeze down to apex T2. My advice for coming out of T2 is don't be afraid to use all of the track, I see lots of guys hold way to the left side...I feel it is more effective to carry your speed and use the track, I suppose it's the speed vs distance thing. I like to be in 4th gear because you can get on the gas harder with less chance of wheel spin. For the life of me, I can not remember at this moment if I go into 5th or not...anyways I wait until about 5-10 feet after the big black spotch on the left side of the track to pop out of my bubble and get on the brakes and get 2 downshifts, usually some good trail braking into apex. Very important not to early apex T3, it can push you out to the grass and if nothing else you get no drive out of it.
+1 on tight line in the horseshoe, I just learned this at the last track day...tires about 2-3 feet off of curbing, bike leaned with body over the inside bumps and knee down about 6 inches from curbing, set up perfect for the next left hander
CMRA #803
Check out my Sponsor House Page http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Member...m/Default.aspx
BubbaRRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #52
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
Turn 3 gave me a nice scare after I apexed too early and almost lost the front mid-corner. After that experience I will be thinking twice before I take that turn at 120 mph
Highly unlikely you're even taking that turn a 100mph...
Old 09-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #53
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
its not that hard of a turn. the hardest turn there is the horseshoe for me.
(QUOTE MODE)there are no hard turns, only slow turns(/QUOTE MODE)

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #54
speedismo
OCD for speed

I should probably come pit with you guyz next time. In my hurry to be fast, i hardly learnt anything.

Also, I ended up doing most of the turns in 4th, except 10,11 and 13,14, because I sucked at shifting in the turns and then blipping the throttle to match RPMs.
Maybe I should go for 3rd gear in 3 and 8 also, I am pretty slow in these. But nowhere do i see the need to go in 2nd :dontknow: What am I missing???
The peak HP comes in at 10-12k rpm, and unless I am racing, I dont mind being at 8-9k rpm sometimes, just to keep it a little easy on the bike.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #55
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
Also, I ended up doing most of the turns in 4th, except 10,11 and 13,14, because I sucked at shifting in the turns and then blipping the throttle to match RPMs.
You shouldn't be shifting in the corners... shift before you enter the corner and sometimes while you're exiting.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #56
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
Also, I ended up doing most of the turns in* 4th, except 10,11 and 13,14, because* I sucked at shifting in the turns and then blipping the throttle to match RPMs.
You shouldn't be shifting in the corners... shift before you enter the corner and sometimes while you're exiting.
not only that but gearing is diffrent on all bikes. my second gear is pretty long and third gear is really short.

i usually take sydney in a straight line in 3rd gear by about a bike or two but then i come close to red line and shift. his R6 still has enough to go before shifting to fourth.

BTW, dont listen to what i have to say about what gear to be in. i never count the gears im in i just listen to the sound of my exhaust and that tells me to shift up or down before/after a turn.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #57
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:

BTW, dont listen to what i have to say about what gear to be in. i never count the gears im in i just listen to the sound of my exhaust and that tells me to shift up or down before/after a turn.
I like that answer Arturo! right: i do the same thing.. but my biggest bad right now is i havent had the bike too long.. cant yet make out gears or any from sound of the bike... i need 2-3 more months before.. like my last motorcycle, it becomes what I call "an extension of body".. I would be faster then I guess

and no Steve, I am not really shifting in corners.. but sometimes I am still not straight..and the bike starts demanding an up or down...anyway..I am learning..

Old 09-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #58
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Shift when you need to. right: