MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #21
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Re: Michelin Pilot Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Track = Track Tire* right:
You know, I see where you're comming from... but I honestly don't think anyone (save for 1 or two here) can actually push street tires to their limits. Powers and BT014s are outstanding tires and for a 600 (that shouldn't be spinning the rear with good throttle control) they should suffice unless you're racing.

I'd like to get Jeff or Steve's (Macman) opinions on this one...* right:
I was running Dunlops and found the limit in T2. Although I will say the Pilot Power is a superior tire. Although, I switched my riding to strictly track shortly after that and preffered to run a better tire.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pilot Powers DrAwkwArD General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 06-16-2010 11:45 PM
Michelin Pilot Powers vs 2ct bigjay General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-02-2010 11:33 PM
I need Pilot Powers For Cheap......Where??? DrunkMagnet General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-18-2007 02:39 PM
Pilot powers for a Gsxr600 0oAndyo0 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 01-06-2006 04:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #22
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

And for the psychological side of things..... If you know you are consistently going to try to push harder and harder then why would you not want to dispell the idea of knowing that you will find a limit to your tire?

Old 09-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #23
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

what determines a tire being pushed to its limits? a crash?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #24
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
And for the psychological side of things..... If you know you are consistently going to try to push harder and harder then why would you not want to dispell the idea of knowing that you will find a limit to your tire?
I agree whole-heartedly there... I've crashed 2 times on 208s at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I then switched to BT014s and I've had no more than minor slips since then. Granted I would love to have a larger buffer knowing that the tire is WAY better than I'll ever be. But... that being said, I've been working on smoothness and lines for the past 2 trackdays now and my bike and I have felt better than ever before and I'm running more consistently fast laps than I ever have. So I know that by changing and improving my riding style, I'm learning to ride my current equipment better and with more control. So when the time comes that I'm sliding the rear alot or pushing the front alot, I'll be more equipped to handle that situation. And then... I'll make the upgrade. But for people who ride street and track, I don't think tracktires are needed unless your superfast.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #25
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
Loosing tracktion midlean at 120 is a bad thing. Hence my little incident a couple weeks ago but having that happen when the track and tires are warm is not fun. Hope you have a good knee down. Go ride TMGP and you will learn about tire limits and how to ride around that. It is a good way to wear out your knee pucks. *right:

These are just my little opinions... ask The really fast guys on here... they know more and can probably explain the advantages and disadvantages. I talked to several people before I threw down cash on my first set of race tires. But it was one of the best feelings out on the track after wards. *right:

Old 09-09-2005, 03:02 PM   #26
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Quote:
I agree whole-heartedly there... I've crashed 2 times on 208s at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I then switched to BT014s and I've had no more than minor slips since then. Granted I would love to have a larger buffer knowing that the tire is WAY better than I'll ever be. But... that being said, I've been working on smoothness and lines for the past 2 trackdays now and my bike and I have felt better than ever before and I'm running more consistently fast laps than I ever have. So I know that by changing and improving my riding style, I'm learning to ride my current equipment better and with more control. So when the time comes that I'm sliding the rear alot or pushing the front alot, I'll be more equipped to handle that situation. And then... I'll make the upgrade. But for people who ride street and track, I don't think tracktires are needed unless your superfast.
Well said... I will agree with that. Money could be spent on other areas to increase your riding level especially if you are switching between street and track but if you go all track then get track tires. Just my opinion.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #27
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
I talked to several people before I threw down cash on my first set of race tires. But it was one of the best feelings out on the track after wards. right:
I have no doubt that it's going to be badass when I get my suspension done up and some tracktires... but for right now, I'm happy with BT014s and they are working well for me. Who knows, with better suspension and better tires I could be doing sub 2:00 laps (I need to drop about 7 seconds to get there) but with budgetary concerns (getting a new streetbike in the spring) and the fact that I don't race CMRA, I'd rather save the cashola for the time being. :biggthumpup:
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #28
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Quote:
Loosing tracktion midlean at 120 is a bad thing. Hence my little incident a couple weeks ago but having that happen when the track and tires are warm is not fun. Hope you have a good knee down. Go ride TMGP and you will learn about tire limits and how to ride around that. It is a good way to wear out your knee pucks. *right:

These are just my little opinions... ask The really fast guys on here... they know more and can probably explain the advantages and disadvantages. I talked to several people before I threw down cash on my first set of race tires. But it was one of the best feelings out on the track after wards. *right:
that 120mph get off happend to me too. around 3pm and after i got use to my adjusted stock suspension too. poor Gianni went off road in that session, too
Old 09-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #29
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Quote:
I talked to several people before I threw down cash on my first set of race tires. But it was one of the best feelings out on the track after wards.* right:
I have no doubt that it's going to be badass when I get my suspension done up and some tracktires... but for right now, I'm happy with BT014s and they are working well for me. Who knows, with better suspension and better tires I could be doing sub 2:00 laps (I need to drop about 7 seconds to get there) but with budgetary concerns (getting a new streetbike in the spring) and the fact that I don't race CMRA, I'd rather save the cashola for the time being.* :biggthumpup:
I am hoping to score an 05 600RR for next season and get some track rubber underneath it. Just riding one around the neighborhood a few weeks ago felt amazing. The new suspension and weight changes made it feel even better.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #30
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
that 120mph get off happend to me too. around 3pm and after i got use to my adjusted stock suspension too. poor Gianni went off road in that session, too
If you're doing 120 in T3 then you're superman, haha...

Quote:
I am hoping to score an 05 600RR for next season and get some track rubber underneath it. Just riding one around the neighborhood a few weeks ago felt amazing. The new suspension and weight changes made it feel even better.
Yours is an 03 right? Is there really that big of a different between the 2 years? I'm getting the Buell Ulysses in the spring. Brand new model from them... it's sooo badass. And it's a dual sport!

action2 small
Old 09-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #31
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

T3 no....

Huge difference between the 03 and 05. Go check them out. right:

Old 09-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #32
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
T3 no....

Huge difference between the 03 and 05. Go check them out.* right:
i was flying through that turn since it is fast turn, unless i got the turns confused again. im sure i was in that range around 100mph though.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #33
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Quote:
T3 no....

Huge difference between the 03 and 05. Go check them out.* right:
i was flying through that turn since it is fast turn, unless i got the turns confused again. im sure i was in that range around 100mph though.
T3, the hard right after T1/T2? The turn right before wheelie hill? Maybe why you highsided?

Old 09-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #34
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
T3, the hard right after T1/T2? The turn right before wheelie hill? Maybe why you highsided?
I usually tape my speedometer... but I'd say I'm doing 85 - 90 or so through there. I'm I'm almost always kneedown there.

lstdjuly040095jl
Old 09-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #35
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

its not that hard of a turn. the hardest turn there is the horseshoe for me.

the whole first sessions of the day i was going too fast for some of the turns and the reason i scraped alot of hard parts. syd and gianni told me to slow down and i stopped dragging pard parts and that helped me set myself up for the next turns.

i took all the turns around the same speed consistently the whole day but didnt WOT on the straights after the morning sessions.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #36
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

steve in that turn yes. however i hug that yellow curb alot more so maybe thats why i dont thinks its that hard of a turn and so i think its a fast turn. i dunno :dontknow:
Old 09-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #37
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Yep that is a kneedown corner but you guys are way off the curbing there. The fastest I have ever noticed myself entering that turn was about 96 while still scrubbibg speed off trail braking.... the front has pushed on me in that corner and Andy went down there from to much corner entry speed. If you get the exit right on that corner yo are really setup for the straight heading to T4 which then you can hold plenty of speed in. *:dontknow:

Just more of my idiot rambling.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #38
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Where are the gurus that should be posting in here?

Old 09-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #39
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Yep that is a kneedown corner but you guys are way off the curbing there. The fastest I have ever noticed myself entering that turn was about 96 while still scrubbibg speed off trail braking.... the front has pushed on me in that corner and Andy went down there from to much corner entry speed. If you get the exit right on that corner yo are really setup for the straight heading to T4 which then you can hold plenty of speed in. *:dontknow:

Just more of my idiot rambling.
your are right. i hug it alot and usually gas it while standing up the bike to go up wheelie hill. hence my high side right:
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #40
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Where are the gurus that should be posting in here?
they are going to post when nobody else is here and after the thread dies, i know gianni is, lol