MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs
I'm debaiting....

i went to the US Open this weekend, and i had a chat with a few of my friends about going pro... i don't know what to friggin do, if i go pro in tennis, that means i give up racing for a good while.* it would be in the contract from any endorsers.* i love riding and racing, but tennis has been a part of my life since 12 yrs old and i've been top 5 in the country and top 150 in the world, while my first CMRA Race was this past april.* i'm stuck like chuck mang, what should i do?* i'm going crazy here, cause i miss the thrill of rippin through a corner on my R6, but on the other hand i miss playing in a grandslam with the rest of the pros :dontknow:

daym this is my first post in forever
Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
roro

Re: I'm debaiting....

This is just my $0.02...

I would go for the one that is most lucrative financial-wise then practice at that 110%.* If you're young, you have plenty of time to enjoy both hobbies as you get older.* I would think about "now" and what can get you quicker to financial freedom.* Plus, who says you can't be a pro at tennis and racing at the same time...you can be the first to play both sports.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio

Tennis is Safer.

Good luck with which ever you choose.

Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro
This is just my $0.02...

I would go for the one that is most lucrative financial-wise then practice at that 110%.* If you're young, you have plenty of time to enjoy both hobbies as you get older.* I would think about "now" and what can get you quicker to financial freedom.* Plus, who says you can't be a pro at tennis and racing at the same time...you can be the first to play both sports.
hehe endorsement companies say that i can't, but i could after i hit 30 race again =b cause i won't be playing when i'm 35 lol my bones would be creeking lol
Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
PORSCHITO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

just pick the one your better at ....
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

it'd be unfair i've been in tennis for 10 years, been in racing for less than a year
Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Well, let me give you an older man's perspective..... at your age you need to chase what you are passionate about. Whatever that is. There where times when I was your age that I reflect on now and I wish I would not have let certain aspects affect my decisions. Money is worthless if you are not happy.... yeah you probably hear that all the time but it is true. Even recently I was put in your position, my job wanted me to sign a contract stating I would not engage in activities after work that would endanger me as an assett to the company. I refused, stating that it was part of who I am and I would not be the same employee without it. Life is about the journey... not the destination. Trust me! The destination is boring!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

whatever you do just know its maybe a little too late for you to have that as a career. dont think of this as a money maker but just a hobby or "part" time job.

train for tennis seriously thne have your first match and see how well you do based on your practice time.

you arent seriously racing now BUT you are serious about racing. either way you have a long way before being paid to race. do it as a hobby right:
Old 09-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

First of all, I think it's very cool that you're good enough at tennis to be ranked like you are. VERY cool. I agree that you should do what you are passionate about, but I also think that you should not forget what you have accomplished in tennis... and realize that all that work could reward you even moreso in the future... personally AND financially. Racing bikes is cool and all, but you've already got so much invested into something that could yield even BETTER results. Maybe 10 years from now you'll be financially secure enough for you and your family to spend various days at your personal race track with your Ducati 999R's... or travel around the US and race for pleasure. Just some thoughts.

:biggthumpup:

Anyway... similar example... Colind Edwards. He had been racing motocross since he was 5 years old. By the time he was 15, he was Nationally Ranked as one of the Top 5 racers in the country. He got burned out with the whole dirt thing and quit... then decided to go road racing. He got a used F2 from Lunsford's Honda and rode Oak Hill raceway in the off-season. Come next year, he was beating the Experts from the word GO! By the time the season ended, he had won 7 national club championships and had a deal with Yamaha to race 250's professionally the next year. He made the change and it worked. Who's to say that it wouldn't happen with you? Who's to say that it will?

IMHO, I would stick with tennis. You obviously have a desire to play and have been successful. It would be a shame to lose the momentum that you have now.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

if u become super rich and real popular and need a manager, call me i will be more then willing to help :cool:
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #11
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
if u become super rich and real popular and need a manager, call me i will be more then willing to help* :cool:
Would we have to start calling you paid-cheetos then?
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

Dude take it from me. *I would say I'm in your shoes right now. *I currently am about to finish engineering undergrad and also loovve the track. *I see more of racing as a hobby than anything. *Not because I can't do it because I know I well can, but because the way I see it my engineering stuff is gonna take me further than the whole racing thing. *Obviously Im studyin this field because it catches my attention and I'm good at it. *I would say Im ranked in the top 5 electrical engineering students at my university. * Sure the thought of quitting and just racing has crossed my mind, but at the same time I think it would be stupidity for me to do that. *My need for speed will never go away but at the same time I will have many many years ahead of me to do take it up as a hobby. *If I end up becoming champion and for some miraculous reason getting some big deal then it would be a plus and perhaps a turning point in my career. *But until then my future is as an engineer and I intend to take that path. *there are a lot of guys involved with racing that are engineers, so who's to say I couldn't do that in the future? *right: *
Think about it! *:icon_smile:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Dude take it from me. *I would say I'm in your shoes right now. *I currently am about to finish engineering undergrad and also loovve the track. *I see more of racing as a hobby than anything. *Not because I can't do it because I know I well can, but because the way I see it my engineering stuff is gonna take me further than the whole racing thing. *Obviously Im studyin this field because it catches my attention and I'm good at it. *I would say Im ranked in the top 5 electrical engineering students at my university. * Sure the thought of quitting and just racing has crossed my mind, but at the same time I think it would be stupidity for me to do that. *My need for speed will never go away but at the same time I will have many many years ahead of me to do take it up as a hobby. *If I end up becoming champion and for some miraculous reason getting some big deal then it would be a plus and perhaps a turning point in my career. *But until then my future is as an engineer and I intend to take that path. *there are a lot of guys involved with racing that are engineers, so who's to say I couldn't do that in the future? *right: *
Think about it! *:icon_smile:
What if your employer says you can not ride at the track anymore because it endangers you as an assett to them. This is what you guys are missing.... If Syd goes pro with tennis there will be an immediate end to his bike riding as a career or hobby.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #14
speedismo
OCD for speed

i thought i wont reply to this, dont think i have wisdom enough to reply to somebody's choice of life. but then..i somehow am...

THINK, but with your heart. as Moody says, money is no good without hapiness. do what you think you are "the best" at. because nobody can be "the best" at ANYTHING unless it comes straight from the heart!
probably both things comes from your heart, but which is "the one"?

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #15
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

you guys also need to remember that syd was ranked this high back in high school(2001-2002) but i think got hurt and needed surgery. if he really loved tennis and thought he could have gone PRO, he would have gone right back to training after he got better but instead got into motorcycles.

if this is the biggest problem you have now, then you have a great life.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody

What if your employer says you can not ride at the track anymore because it endangers you as an assett to them. This is what you guys are missing.... If Syd goes pro with tennis there will be an immediate end to his bike riding as a career or hobby.
I don't think anyone would wanna pursue something they don't like or aren't good at. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices.. You can't always have or do everything u want all at once. You can do one for a while and then do the other. I highly doubt if he didn't really enjoy playin tennis he wouldn't even be thinking about it cuz why would you do something you don't enjoy? :dontknow:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 09-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #17
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Play tennis, go pro, win a few championships, get lots of sponsors, retire in a few years stinkin' rich, then have fun with your motorcycle hobby.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #18
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMalt
Play tennis, go pro, win a few championships, get lots of sponsors, retire in a few years stinkin' rich, then have fun with your motorcycle hobby.
:iamwithstupid:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
Old 09-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #19
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

just do whats in your heart.. follow your first instinct. ALWAYS
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #20
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Send a message via AIM to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via MSN to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via Yahoo to UrMyStlkAl

I'm guessing your a member at Westside then?
UrMyStlkAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement