Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
TheMutt

Member Garage

Gear for first bike?

I'm planning to get my first bike pretty soon, nothing larger than a 600. Just to serve as my trip to and from work on the weekdays, and a joyride every now and then. But I have a kid and don't need to be dying anytime soon so I want some opinions on some good safety gear.

What are good brands and good choices, but affordable choices for:

-helmet
-gloves
-jacket
-boots
-back protector or something to keep my spine straight? do they have those, or are they made into jackets?
-anything else I missed?

any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
-Matt
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXTREMESUPPLY bike gear GAU-8 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-20-2012 11:32 AM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
dirt bike gear NgaWhat General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-01-2011 09:58 AM
Just bought a bike..need some gear memonmz Gear Talk 15 04-04-2010 11:00 PM
Pics Of My Gear And My Bike!!! Brena23 General Discussion (Moto Related) 204 11-30-2006 10:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
TXZR7S

Member Garage

Re: Gear for first bike?

Yea the best thing you can get...

the MSF motorcycle course.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
TheMutt

Member Garage

I am signed up to take a course already but they suggest to get shoes, gloves, and a jacket. I have none, so I'm going to get the good stuff the first time around.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
tbone16

Feedback Rating: (0)

Snell aproved helmet and good jacket are most important. *If you go over board, keep in mind how hot it is in texas, and keep in mind that if you have too much you might not were anything at all. *I would definatly recomend preforated with a liner as far as jackets go (cheaper, versatile). *Your best bet with a helmet would probally be an HJC Cl14 off ebay. *You should be able to score one for around 100 that will provide optimal protection. *I good pair of work boots, docs, or engineer boots will save you some road rash, but your going to have to get a rigid boot (sidi, alpinestars) if you want to save them bones from popping out. *Personally, I wear doc marten engineer boots, but I ride everyday and can wear them anywear. *Gloves can also range pretty far (mechanics, work gloves, to full armored Icon Hooligans. *Again, some leather or mesh gloves will save you the rash, but not the bones. *I dont usually wear gloves unless im going for a ride (40+ miles), becuase I find them most inconvienant of all gear because they prohibit you from getting in pockets and doing things. *As far as pants, a good thick denim jean will hold up suprisingly well to road rash, and almost no one uses anything else for daily driving, but there are track pants and suits available.

*For a beginer rider, I would recomend : *Good Snell Aproved helmet (doesnt have to be a 600 suomy), Good mesh jacket with some armor and a liner, good pair of all around boots (wolverine, docs), and some good cheap gloves. * The more you wear your gear, the safer you are, keep that in mind when you are shopping so you buy comfertable, and modest. *Something you can wear in a store, or to class. *AND WEAR THE STUFF. *
tbone16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
TheMutt

Member Garage

Thanks! I appreciate the help! right:
Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3

check out
http://www.newenough.com/product_dep..._closeouts.htm
i would say if your gonna buy your first set of gear, jackets/gloves hit up this site look see what they have go down to your local shop try on a jacket and gloves to get your size, then hit up the close out section for really good deals, i just spent 80 bucks on a 200 doller jacket and a 120 doller pari fo gloves right:

i dont recomond "summer" or "mesh" gloves i would go with somthing full leather just because the mesh gloves arnt going to be very good protection altho it is better then nothing. as far as boots go, my favorite pair to ride in is my academy boots its just called like out door gear they have ankle support dont go up to high and have a nice solid toe so makes good for shifting. :icon_smile:
Old 09-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
Maverick
Made Man

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Team Green Ninja !
100cc Knock0ff Dirt

Send a message via AIM to Maverick

im a squid, but i suggest

textile / mesh jacket
u can also buy another spine protector or chest protector sepratly as well

good helmet that is SNELL DOT aproved , i like HJC and KBC prices

work boots and some clearance gloves

M

and wear them !! its not kool to have the helmet on the back of the bike when it should be on yer head !
Old 09-08-2005, 11:43 PM   #8
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3

Quote:
its not kool to have the helmet on the back of the bike when it should be on yer head
but then what protects your seat if you lay the bike down?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
TheMutt

Member Garage

Yeah I saw two guys on sport bikes the other day weaving in and out of traffic and both had their helmets on the back of the bike. It seems like if you were going to bring it you might as well wear it eh.

Advertisement