MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
JSki

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Cool Rode my first (and hopefully last)...

Rode my first, and hopefully last, Hardly today. Boss man asked me to deliver it to Mancusso as a favor and that was the worst 20-30 mile trip of my riding life. It was a 99 or 01 fully dressed electraglide with who knows how many miles on it (wasn't paying attention to that). There was a bad head shake that started at 65-70mph and the short windshiled BLEW! It did NOTHING but direct wind to the top of my helmet causing a motion that resembles in turbo mode(with out the smile). Half way into the trip I felt dizzy and nauseated from the ridiculous amount of buffeting. The only good thing was when I figured the radio out and got to jam at 70 miles an hour. Side note: I need to figure out how to get a system like that on my SV. Hopefully most harleys aren't like this cuz if they are I would have to say that most harley owners are CRAZY (with all do respect). Oh, and kudos to those who can scape the floor boards on those, cuz I would never even want to try.

Last edited by JSki; 01-11-2008 at 06:45 PM.
JSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who Rode In Today? Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 179 02-19-2010 09:51 AM
Anyone ever rode one of these.... GsxrRcr369 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-07-2008 01:37 PM
rode an SV1000S jkcole900rr General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 11-30-2006 12:50 AM
Who Rode gix1k Off Topic 7 11-21-2006 08:41 PM
Who rode in today and.... ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 11-16-2006 01:10 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

I would imagine that not all Harleys feel as you described do to the fact they are popular as ... maybe the bike was f-ed up... I cant really tell since I have never riden a Harley but I hope to get one when Im a bit older... sorry you had such a experience on an American Classic...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
sk8josh92

Bike(s):
07 ninja 250

they're mainly popular cuz people buy for the name and to be cool
sk8josh92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8josh92 View Post
Totally agree with that sentiment... I think it could've been a nice bike at one time, but GOOD ! I liked the experience and the change of pace from my SV, but the big touring bike I hope to get a few years down the road will either be a big honda, yamaha, or victory, and definitely not a harley. Just my opinion after that ride...
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

Those other brand cruisers may have less vibration, but you'll still feel the wind buffeting.
It comes with the riding position.

Riding a cruiser above highway speed can be a work-out experience for some. I know, I lost some weight
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

I've rode my dad's 01 fatboy a few times. Not exactly my thing, but I thought it was fomfortable and had a decent ride for a cruiser.

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

my dad had one... i was smooth... must have been a wheel out of balance on the one you rode. He had the factory windscreen on his so it did the job of directing wind just fine. they are ok bikes if you are mechanically inclined enough to fix your own oil leaks and such.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
J-Row
Gold MemberŪ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR, 2006 1000RR (STOLEN)

Im riding SB forever just like GEZZER!!
PGR #121546
J-Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I had a Harley for 7 years.
It was comfy and above 60mph was as smooth as butter.
I liked it very much. The reason I got rid of it was that it didn't do the 3 things I like most about riding.
Accelerate, turn and brake. It WAS a more of a chick magnet than any other bike I've ever had tho'.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8josh92 View Post
The same could be said for sportbike riders!

But yeah, when it comes to cruiser vs. cruiser, HD wins the popularity contest.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
level5
moving chicane

I have seen many Harley shakes like it was a jack hammer. I have no idea why anyone can buy one of those. Metric cruiser FTW.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
jgixer

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

99 zx9

two each there own i guess my dad had one in the 70s and it meant u really were a badass (viet-vet) now any weiney can have one, i personally give no respect 2 them. the way they wear a chip on there shoulder and are a bunch of wusses. yeah i can say it im 40 and ill never be associated with owning a harley. i cant fathom jerking around and noisy with no go ( case in point the lone star rally)bhow many glares did u get cause i know i got plenty.
jgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
STREETBIKEMIKE
GANGMEMBER

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
Trickin on you with the stock xr50

Send a message via AIM to STREETBIKEMIKE
a harley isnt even an american bike anymore. Just like people call a gto an american muscle car. HA!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREETBIKEMIKE View Post
a harley isnt even an american bike anymore. Just like people call a gto an american muscle car. HA!
No kidding! I saw those in Australia a long time ago!

I'll never forget the article I read comparing the a ford 500, chevy malibu, and Honda Accord. The ONLY car made in America was the HONDA!

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgixer View Post
two each there own i guess my dad had one in the 70s and it meant u really were a badass (viet-vet) now any weiney can have one, i personally give no respect 2 them. the way they wear a chip on there shoulder and are a bunch of wusses. yeah i can say it im 40 and ill never be associated with owning a harley. i cant fathom jerking around and noisy with no go ( case in point the lone star rally)bhow many glares did u get cause i know i got plenty.
They're not all ghey like that. There are many on the PGR that are just cool kats... many are vets, too. But I know what you're saying, especially HD Yuppies in full HD leathers and gear... right down to the sunglasses!!

I like all types of bikes, and I'm one who believes you can't own just one bike. I feel I will be complete when I own at least 1 sportbike, 1 cruiser, 1 tourer, 1 standard, 1 classic, 1 chopper, 1 dirt, .... Ahhh yes... life will be complete.

I'm not into HDs, per say, but I do like cruisers. I rode a Road King Classic, a Heritage Softail Classic, and a Yamaha Road Star. Between the 3, I like the Star the best. It was just well built and solid. The RK was nice, but it was in the details that I noticed "cheap" (latches/knobs/bolts/etc.). The HSTC had fuel injection problems after about 100 miles, and shook like a . The Star was just well built all in all, and alot more comfortable overall. With all 3, my vision shook for a while thereafter

btw, I'm 40 too!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
jgixer and Rob919. . . . for some reason I figured both of you to be in your late 20's. was I off.

Never ridden a cruiser, but I'd like to own one, but not in place of a sportbike. Doesn't matter what brand though, as I like a looooot of bikes.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #17
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Rode my father in laws 05 Fat Boy for about 4 months. It was a smooth ride. I actually rode it all the way from McAllen to Houston with the wife following me. About 7 1/2 hrs. trip. I did not feel too bad when I got off of it.

I inadvertantly scraped one of the floor boards on a turn and realized that I was not on my sportbike.

I am also 40. 40 yr. olds unite!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #18
Jesse H

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

If you weren't wearing a helmet, you wouldn't have experienced all that head buffetting!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
If you weren't wearing a helmet, you wouldn't have experienced all that head buffetting!

LoL! I figured that's how most people handled it, but wasn't going to say it.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #20
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

I think it was engineered that way to provide as much airflow to the top of the head so that the "average middle aged-riders" could feel the last and only two hairs they have left on their head blowing in the wind while they aren't wearing their helmet...

Sorry for the stereotype.... I'm just bitter cuz last saturday a fully dressed harley (IDK HOW) pulled away from my little SV on the freeway...

ok, it didn't just pull away, it FREAKING SPANKED ME LIKE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL! you harley!

Advertisement