MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #41
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
They can use excerpts (one paragraph) without copyright infringements as long as they show the source.
No, they can't. Here's the message from RRW, see if it says you can do that:

Copyright 2007 Roadracing World Publishing, Inc. (This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, donít post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send them a link or post a link to this page.)

JU has pursued and won with such cases. I'd hate to lose the web site for something like this. But by all means, carry on.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
helmet law gone, deaths and head injuries up RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-14-2008 09:20 PM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #42
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
No, they can't. Here's the message from RRW, see if it says you can do that:

Copyright 2007 Roadracing World Publishing, Inc. (This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, donít post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send them a link or post a link to this page.)

JU has pursued and won with such cases. I'd hate to lose the web site for something like this. But by all means, carry on.
should I add my special touch to this thread?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #43
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
No, they can't. Here's the message from RRW, see if it says you can do that: ...
Doesn't matter what they say, the law allows it under certain circumstances. See: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #44
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Doesn't matter what they say, the law allows it under certain circumstances. See: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
I'm pretty sure that's what I did on the twoo RRW articles I cited. (Since the post is gone I can't be sure) but I don't think I pulled more than a couple of sentences from either one.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #45
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
From your link:

The distinction between “fair use” and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.
The safest course is always to get permission from the copyright owner before using copyrighted material. The Copyright Office cannot give this permission.

When it is impracticable to obtain permission, use of copyrighted material should be avoided unless the doctrine of “fair use” would clearly apply to the situation. The Copyright Office can neither determine if a certain use may be considered “fair” nor advise on possible copyright violations. If there is any doubt, it is advisable to consult an attorney.

Did yall do all that when you posted JU's copyrighted material?

And I didn't see any copyright symbol or anything on that one, so hopefully I'm not violating their copyright if one exists!

As I said earlier, yall carry on, don't let me stop you. You won't catch me (intentionally) posting copyrighted materials, and definitely not from JU.

BC, you're on!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #46
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

it's cool man. i didn't know anything about rrw's propensity for clamping down on copyright infringement - but i'm always careful to only quote a short passage from anything i sample, and i always cite sources. there are hundreds or thousands of far worse examples on this site tho.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #47
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
it's cool man. i didn't know anything about rrw's propensity for clamping down on copyright infringement - but i'm always careful to only quote a short passage from anything i sample, and i always cite sources. there are hundreds or thousands of far worse examples on this site tho.
I only bring it up because JU is a vindictive dude when it comes to this. He doesn't eff around.

I agree with you on the "other" violations of similar things (though most don't copyright their material). The deal is also that those sites get advertising money, and in order to get it or to continue, they have to generate so much traffic. If the traffic is hindered because people post the whole article (or enough that others won't go to the site themselves), then they could lose money or not be able to get more support. It kinda takes the money out of their pockets so to speak.

It's all good in my neighborhood, I don't personally care at all- but I do know about RRW and their copyrights, and it's not something they over-look. Even a "little" site like our local MH.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #48
DirtyRed

Can you die/get seriously injured at a track day? yeah. Jennings had an incident a couple of years ago where a rider went off track hit a tree and they didn't even know about it for a few sessions when his buddies started asking questions about his whereabouts. STT had a death at Road Atlanta a couple years ago also. I had a friend that came close to dying at Summit when a rider crashed, the bike was on the "race line" in a blind spot that cornerworkers couldn't see, and my friend T-Boned the downed bike going about 130. He wore a colostomy bag for about 6 months and has plenty o hardware in his hip, femur, knee, and collarbone. Even though it's not racing, it's still not knitting.

All that being said, I feel a zillion times safer on the track than I do on the street.

RRW & Ulrich...wouldn't question his tenacity for going after anyone that posts stuff without his permission.

Anywho, speaking of RRW and trackday safety, there was a story in the Oct/Nov 06 RRW about questions to ask a trackday provider. These included EMS Support and their accreditation, cornerworkers, and rider experience level, to name just a few. If you're a track newb, that would be an excellent reprint to obtain, IMO.
DirtyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #49
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
RRW & Ulrich...wouldn't question his tenacity for going after anyone that posts stuff without his permission.
No doubt boo, no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
Anywho, speaking of RRW and trackday safety, there was a story in the Oct/Nov 06 RRW about questions to ask a trackday provider. These included EMS Support and their accreditation, cornerworkers, and rider experience level, to name just a few. If you're a track newb, that would be an excellent reprint to obtain, IMO.
I read that too, and a big +1 to that.

We're pretty lucky in our area IMHO.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #50
MANSON6

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2005 636

I do trackdays often, i have also wrecked twice on the street and once at the track. My first accident was in leakey near san antonio, And I was going well over 100mph yes it was stupid on my part but it did cost me an airlife ride to the hospital, A broken shoulder, broken tailbone, and broken ankle. rods and pins were inserted during surgery. when i crashed at TWS (Texas World Speedway) i lowsided in turn 11 trying to break the 2 minute mark. all i sustained was bruising all over my body. in my opinion it is still a much more controled enviroment then on the street. All the trackday orgs run a great school and preach safety, and there is always medical staff at an arms reach if need be. i myself gave up street riding all together just because of people not paying attention to riders on the street.

Advertisement