MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #21
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx View Post
And you can still get busted up at a track day...........without pushing too hard. Just remember too aim for the grass.....it's a softer landing.
just don't "target fixate" and you'll be perfectly fine.. just remember to keep an open mind and leave the bad habits at the gate. You'll have tons of fun.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
helmet law gone, deaths and head injuries up RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 06-14-2008 09:20 PM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #22
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1 View Post
just don't "target fixate" and you'll be perfectly fine.. just remember to keep an open mind and leave the bad habits at the gate. You'll have tons of fun.
Yeah....that too
Old 01-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #23
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Alrighty...I'm taking the F4 to the track for the 3/8 noob day! I'm signing up in the morning!

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #24
Radar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Anything can happen anywhere, but my beliefs are (odds wise) You are more likely to crash on the track ---- You are more likely to be killed on the street. I do both, but I don't ride near as aggressive on the streets, nor do I have the desire to - the track keeps that itch scratched.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #25
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Throughout the Country, people do die at track days. The Barber incident is the most recent one I remember (posted earlier). The recent local deaths were not track days, did not have EMS/ cornerworkers/ grid control, etc, it was a racer's practice time at the track. Both of those incidents had extenuating circumstances, which I don't need to go in to or discuss.

The fact remains, there are lots of good opportunities to get on the track, we have a rider's school, and the Grand Sport Speedway event is a perfect time to take it. Geared toward "noobs", small track with technical turns, excellent staff of instructors, can't go wrong. It's on Feb 16, and GSS is just down I45 a bit.

Regardless, your F4 is a good bike, but if you've decided to get off the streets and only ride the track for now, Jody is right, sell that and get yourself a good track bike that is already set up. It would cost too much to get an "old" street bike with high mileage track worthy. I'm sure those that have done it can tell you the cost usually doesn't match the benefit unless you're a serious racer.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #26
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike

This is all great info...keep it coming...thanks

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #27
slo_rdr

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR 750-Totaled
'01 KX60-mini-tard

I have an F4 - great bike to start with on the track (IMO), It seems to be very forgiving and easy to learn on. Get someone to help you adjust your suspension if you haven't (even if stock components) as it really helps too. (oh yeah - & those F4's are tough too - crash well ) You'll have a blast out there!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #28
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike

sweet...had the suspension set up a month or so ago at Motorcycles Unlimited...made a world of difference.

xdng33m4iv
Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #29
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

I'll throw 2 back in.
I have always been an idiot and have been lucky on both. I've had friends die on the street not on the track.
Race pace crashes are worse than track day.:/: Unless your hammering the track day pace. Hopefully you've gained the experience by then.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #30
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthHoustonCBR View Post
Ok guys...track noob here. never been to one but I am seriously itchin to get out there...my g/f and I were talking about a few nights ago and I am curious about something...lately I have been to a few funnerals and seen and heard of several people wrecking while riding the street. I know the track is still extremely dangerous but being that cages are not present along with all the other roadside hazards that come along with the street...

my question is has anyone that you guys know of ever died while at a track day? I understand that wrecking may be a part of it b/c there of being able to push the limit but has there ever been anything serious enough to cause death? Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Well, I do not know anyone who has died riding at a track day, but I do know several people who were walking and got hit by a car, or were playing at a playground and got run over, or were hit by a car while at a stop light.

It is an activity that adds risk. However, if you bring your head to the track and use it by listening to instruction and exercising common sense, you will mitigate that risk to a level where the day will become a relatively risk reduced event. There will never be zero risk there (there is never zero risk anywhere), but good judgment goes a of a long way.

So if you are interested, congrats...you are at the brink of a mega addiction, into which I would urge you to dive into (for the pure fun factor of it).

Hope to see you out there.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #31
ange062

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
i think that is what Rick was waiting for

it seems he just wants numbers or an instance where someone has died at the track, not the "it's safer spiel... "

i have heard of car drivers dying at the track but not bikes. Dale Earnhart ring a bell?
How about Daijiro Kato or any of the other pro-moto-racers that have been killed?

Never heard of anyone getting killed at a trackday, but I have seen some people get injured pretty badly.
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #32
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
How about Daijiro Kato or any of the other pro-moto-racers that have been killed?

Never heard of anyone getting killed at a trackday, but I have seen some people get injured pretty badly.
It happens. Besides, he was asking about track days, I think the deaths of racers competing and practicing is a little out of the realm of "us".

All these things happen, and the more you do it, the more chance you have of something happen. It's true in all things.

The fact stands that an incident at an organized track day increase your chances of a positive outcome exponentially.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #33
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Anything can happen anywhere, but my beliefs are (odds wise) You are more likely to crash on the track ---- You are more likely to be killed on the street. I do both, but I don't ride near as aggressive on the streets, nor do I have the desire to - the track keeps that itch scratched.
Oh you said "near" as agressive ok. I can live with that. You are plenty competive on both street and track.

I agree with Radar the track is alot safer. I have crashed 3 times on the track with only a sore shoulder from a get off at 100mph. So I would say the track is TONS safer heck just being on a track with no popo is worth doing the track to me.

Last edited by gixxerbill; 01-10-2008 at 12:18 PM.
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #34
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Invest in the best gear you can get. You will appreciate it when you need it.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #35
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I know the track is FAR safer than the street, but anytime you are travelling at speed on a motorcycle their is inherent danger - this danger is vastly mitigated at the track, however.
Exactly.... You are finding a small handfull of deaths and or serious injury all over the US...
Yet how many days go by on this board when there is not a "rider down" or "RIP" thread locally??
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #36
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
Exactly.... You are finding a small handfull of deaths and or serious injury all over the US...
Yet how many days go by on this board when there is not a "rider down" or "RIP" thread locally??

I found plenty, just got tired of looking.

It's the 'per population' ratio that I'd like to see.

Sure you hear about a lot more deaths on public streets, but you have to keep in mind that there are FAR more riders on public streets than there are riders at track days. (and I'd bet that for the most part, the average rider on the street is not nearly as skilled as the average rider on the track.)

I would not go so far as to say that the number of fatalities per track rider comes near the number of fatalities per street rider (but I would be interested in seeing both of those ratios side by side.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that the track is a more or less dangerous place than the street, but the fact remains that it is a dangerous place.

Yes, at the track you have runoff, corner workers, on site medical personnel and safety rules and requirements - but you also have an environment in which pushing the limits of both your machine and yourself is far easier to do.

The saftey offered by the track is somewhat offset by the general nature of the track as that of a venue for VERY spirited riding.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #37
jettech01
Motorcyle Rider not owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
Invest in the best gear you can get. You will appreciate it when you need it.
Speaking as one that can vouch for that........

Had I NOT had good gear, I would have been in far worse shape after my get-off at MSR last month. The Gear is where its at, also pay attention to your run off areas.......try to avoid being aggressive near areas where a WALL is in your run off area..............Its all about being safe/courteous/and have fun.
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #38
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Guys, don't cut-n-paste RRW articles. John Ulrich will pursue the web sites that allow it. You really shouldn't do it to anyone's material- just post the link.

Just an FYI- I'd delete it if I were you.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #39
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Guys, don't cut-n-paste RRW articles. John Ulrich will pursue the web sites that allow it. You really shouldn't do it to anyone's material- just post the link.

Just an FYI- I'd delete it if I were you.
They can use excerpts (one paragraph) without copyright infringements as long as they show the source.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #40
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
They can use excerpts (one paragraph) without copyright infringements as long as they show the source.

Advertisement