MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Dog steps on loaded shotgun, kills Baytown teacher

Bad Dog... I would charge that dog with manslaughter

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5434984.html

In a freak hunting accident, a Baytown man was killed over the weekend when his dog stepped on his loaded shotgun, triggering a discharge that penetrated his truck's tailgate and then struck him, officials said.

Perry Alvin Price III was hunting on a lease near Stowell in Chambers County Saturday and had shot down a goose but had not seen where it landed, sheriff's investigators said.

The 46-year-old math teacher from Baytown's Robert E. Lee High School then put his shotgun in the back of his truck and was about to open the tailgate to release his tracking dog when the shotgun fired, investigators said. The blast struck Price in the thigh.

Price died from severe blood loss from his femoral artery shortly after arriving about 6:20 p.m. at Winnie Medical Center. Price's hunting companion and a former student, Daniel Groberg, said he tried to stop the bleeding with clothing before taking him from the hunting lease off FM 1941.

Paw prints from Price's beloved chocolate Labrador retriever, Arthur, were found on the muddy shotgun, said Chambers County Sheriff Joe LaRive.

"It's the strangest case that I've seen," LaRive said. "We couldn't talk to Perry and Groberg was at the front of the truck when he heard the shotgun blast and didn't see what happened."

Price's sister speculated that the dog was anxious to begin the pursuit.

"His dog was so excited," said Patricia Payne. "He was jumping all around, because he was about to get out and go get that goose.

"That gun had to be knocked around just right to fire. I believe the dog knocked the safety off and hit the trigger, too," she said. "Price was always so careful."

Since the shooting, the dog and Price's other pet, a golden retriever, Leon, have been looking lost and sad at his Baytown home where he lives with his wife, Kelli, and his two stepchildren, Payne said.

The dogs were "like children to him," his sister said. His classroom at Lee is also filled with photographs of his dogs which he used to get his students' attention, she said.

A teaching colleague, Melanie Turner, recalled how Price developed a special award this year that was indicative of his love for hunting. For students who exhibited extra perseverance and determination, he would hand out T-shirts naming them "Bird Dog of the Week."

"His loss will be felt for quite some time," Turner said.

Teachers in the Goose Creek district held a moment of silence in honor of Price on Monday. Counselors today saw students, who talked about grieving over the loss of their teacher.

Price had been a fixture on that campus for 20 years. He graduated from Texas A&M with a civil engineering degree but chose to dedicate his life to teaching instead, his sister said.

Teaching in Baytown has been a family tradition, as not only Price but also Payne and his other sister and brother-in-law, Nancy and Andy Jacobs, teach there.

"Price was a highly respected educator, whose wonderful rapport with students was key in helping them to understand and even joy mathematics," said Barbara Sultis, Baytown's superintendent.

"Everyone remembers him for his smile," said Kathy Clausen, the district's spokeswoman.

Teachers praised his ability to help the slower learners and remembered his love of hunting.

"I always enjoyed talking to him about the outdoors, especially about his wild hog trap and his taxidermy," said Calvin Jeffrey, another math teacher.

Sheriff LaRive said even experienced, safety-conscious hunters like Price must double check themselves when in the field.

LaRive said the safety should always be kept on any gun that is not immediately being fired and that a gun should be stored in a protected place with its barrel pointed away from people.

In October, a 37-year-old Tama, Iowa man was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, who stepped on his shotgun and tripped the trigger.

James Harris was hit in the calf on the opening day of pheasant season. The wound was not life-threatening.

Visitation for Price is scheduled for 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Navarre Funeral Home in Baytown.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baytown teacher stocks up on free MREs chrisd Off Topic 37 09-19-2008 03:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
. That sucks
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
BoostJunky

wow, what a freak accident... listen to this ...

another freak accident. A buddy was telling me yesterday that over New Years his friend was parked down the street and didnt want to walk to his car so as he's stepping into his friends truck his friend thinks he's already in the truck and takes off.. The guy falls backwards landing on his head. Had to be life flighted and had 2 brain surgeries. He can't talk and he lost function in some of his brain. It'll be a long road to recovery for him... Life is crazy
BoostJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostJunky View Post
wow, what a freak accident... listen to this ...

another freak accident. A buddy was telling me yesterday that over New Years his friend was parked down the street and didnt want to walk to his car so as he's stepping into his friends truck his friend thinks he's already in the truck and takes off.. The guy falls backwards landing on his head. Had to be life flighted and had 2 brain surgeries. He can't talk and he lost function in some of his brain. It'll be a long road to recovery for him... Life is crazy

gawd !!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Life is full of unxspected events. That is why I live my life the way I do. You never know what is going to happen. I know it all too well now.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Can the dog get in trouble for not having a hunting license?
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet View Post
thats fuct up, and i bet the dog hadnt even taken a firearms safety class....

and worse thing yet NO MSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
J-Row
Gold MemberŪ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR, 2006 1000RR (STOLEN)

dogs!!
PGR #121546
J-Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

Mans best friend... What a bunch of !!!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

That's nature's way of thinning the population. There's to many idiots leaving loaded guns laying around.
Give that dog a bone!
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

I heard about this news on the radio this morning... must suck to be shot by your own gun...

I once got ran over by my own car... ... really.
I drove it too...
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement