MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Ridesmart

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Anyone here own a Varmint A4 AR15 firearm?

I am thinking of getting something for long range targets. Kind of looked into various things, and am settling on the Rock River Arms Varmint A4 (24 inch and 16 inch flavors).

Wondering if anyone on here has one of these, or similar. If yes, can you comment on the quality, shoot precision (at what range), etc. Kind of looking at opinions of others before committing to get it.
Thanks.

Here is a link to it:
http://www.snipercentral.com/rra.htm
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
guy cuts me off, then aim a firearm at me. suggestions? eric636 Off Topic 108 10-28-2011 08:09 AM
carrying a FireArm on a bike w/o CHL? Petro General Discussion (Moto Related) 114 12-06-2007 09:07 AM
FIREARM REFRESHER Homebrew Off Topic 6 04-26-2007 08:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Are you stuck on AR's or are you just interested in anything that shoots great at long range?
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
infidel
drpickles

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

i got a 6.8 coyote ar15
Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.
infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
infidel
drpickles

ive also got a 223 22 bull barrel but never used it. the 6.8 is awesome for a varmit rifle and and can be used for pigs and deer.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
infidel
drpickles

how long for long range targets? 223 is pretty worthless after 200 yards. i wouldnt shoot a ar15 for longrange. bolt action rifle accuracy is much better than a semiauto.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Here's what my brother uses for a sniper rifle:

http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firea...04&mid=FNM0012
He consistantly shoots groups at 200yds with all shots touching.

The Remington 700 Police is also a good rifle:
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700ptws.htm

The Savage 10FP will be your best bang for the buck though:
http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm

When you decide what you want, give me a shout
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
infidel
drpickles

wanna go long range? buy a barrett or a cobb go fer 1000 meters. i need someone i can steal brass from anyways.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post
how long for long range targets? 223 is pretty worthless after 200 yards. i wouldnt shoot a ar15 for longrange. bolt action rifle accuracy is much better than a semiauto.
Probably in reference to hunting, but not target shooting. High Power Service rifle matches go out to 600 yards using 5.56mm, with iron sights. 6.8 SPC is mainly a reloaders round, not much factory ammo out there, and what is available is going to be expensive for punching paper. But if you do reload then then go for it. I have a Rock River Entry Model with a 16 inch M4 profile barrel. It does what it's supposed to do and is quite accurate, roughly 1 to 1.5 MOA with Black Hills 55 gr FMJ ammo. I haven't tested it past 100 yards though, YMMV. Build quality is good and most people speak high of RRA customer service should a problem arise. The come standard with a 2 stage match trigger, using the term "match" loosely. But it is way better than a standard mil spec trigger. I would buy another RRA in a hearbeat, no problems out of mine so far.

The standard 1/9 twist barrel is said to be good for up to 69 grain bullets. I've shot 69 gr Sierra BTHP out of mine seated to magazine length with no problems. Just as accurate as the 55 grainers. If you want to shoot the heavier bullets then you will most likely need the 1/8 or 1/7 twist barrel with a long throat to shoot the 77 and 80 grain bullets which will help buck the wind beyond 300 yards. But you will be limited to shooting single shot as the heavier bullts will be too long to fit in the magazine.

If you want to go bolt action, then any of the Savage 10 or 12 series guns are a good deal. The nice thing about the Savage besides the price is that they are pretty easy to work on. A vice, barrel wrench, and are all you need to swap out the barrel. If you want to switch to .308 for long range work then you can swap out the bolt head and you have a .308 rifle. I have a single shot Savage LRPV in .223, sub 1/2 MOA out of the box with good loads.
With the target accu-trigger, mine breaks like ice at 8 oz.

Last edited by andre3k; 01-08-2008 at 12:28 AM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

You can purchase a Hbar or simular with a removable charging handle. Put a scope (18-20x) on medium rings to clear the front sight and you got a very accurate rifle. I used mine on coyotes out to about 400 yards in south Texas on very high stands that we built for that purpose. I loaded 69 gr bullets and would drop them all day. It is a minute of Coyote (MOC) accuracy
I bought a left handed VSS in .22-250 and could drop them out a little further but that was only with Sierra .52 gr handloads. I didn't have enough twist to get a heavier bullet.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Some good info here. Thanks for it. I am considering the firearm for range practice for now. Considered bolt action as I knew it was well suited for sniper type of work.
For now, however, I have a feeling for a semi auto. Not to say I won't change my mind once I do go to buy, but among many platforms, I consider the AR to be a fairly versatile platform to have.
With the varmint A4, in particular, I am thinking of the 20 (or maybe even 24 inch) and a 16 inch variants.

I first considered the Dakota T-76 Longbow, but at about $4K, will have of a time convincing wife that I 'need' that one.

So for now, looking for as cheap as can, but still very 'fun' and fairly accurate weapon to take to a range.

So if you have other recommendations, would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

RRA builds nice guns. 223 can be accurate out to 7-800 yards; heck we quald on open sights at 500 meters.

I have a 24" that I built and still have yet to break in. Initial testing was very positive with milsurp ammo at 100 yds.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

RRA and Bustmaster both make CMP/DCM rifles with removable charging handles. They have a good price considering the price of Colt (Fn stupid!).
You can pick them up at the gun show for under $900. I always went for the Stainless barrel without flash hider, but that is just incase I decide to shoot a match with it.
Your rifle is only as good as it's optics so don't scimp there. Mirage can throw you off a shot as much as a 10 MPH wind at 400 yards. Adjustable objectives help but nothing better than good quality glass to start with.

One other things, they have these little wind meters now that you can buy for about $100. They keep me MOA!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

I love the AR15, I have shot a load of them
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

not a fan of .223 is this lr target practice only?
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
not a fan of .223 is this lr target practice only?
We were just getting to the .338 Lapua!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

.308 win ftw! i think JD enterprises makes an hk91 clone for around the same price as that ar15. and its 20x the rifle!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

The 190 gr Matchking is the most amazing bullet I have ever seen. I only shoot it in a bolt action b/c you can't get out the lands on SA rifle.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #18
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post

I think max of 200 meters is an understatement. Here is proof...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9Nk...eature=related

860yds with .223 ar15
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
.308 win ftw! i think JD enterprises makes an hk91 clone for around the same price as that ar15. and its 20x the rifle!
comparing apples to oranges. why is the 91 20x the rifle?
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #20
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
comparing apples to oranges. why is the 91 20x the rifle?
How is it apples to oranges. its an assault rifle in the same price class. Do i honestly need to explain why .308 win. is better than .223? i could prolly take a in the reciever of that hk91 clone and the thing would still fire. all the parts are interchangeable with the h&k's too.

Advertisement