Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Rossi: Toseland wrong to join Tech-3

Quote:
Eurosport - Thu, 03 Jan 10:31:00 2008
Valentino Rossi believes James Toseland has made a mistake in joining Tech-3 Yamaha for his rookie season and should instead have signed with a Honda team.The 27-year-old Briton will ride for the French satellite Yamaha squad this season alongside Colin Edwards, after turning his back on World Superbikes - a series in which he won two world titles in 2004 and last year.

He chose his new team after rejecting a Moto GP offer from the d'Antin Ducati team and a new contract from his Ten Kate WSBK outfit.

But Rossi, a five-time Moto GP world champion, who won his first three titles on a Honda before switching to bitter rivals Yamaha, thinks Toseland, who rode a Honda to World Superbike glory last season, should have stayed with the manufacturer.

"Maybe Toseland has made a small mistake," the Italian told Motorcycle News. "I imagine that for him it would be better to race with Honda."

Rossi said that he does not believe Toseland has the talent of the other rookies; Jorge Lorenzo, Andrea Dovizioso and Alex de Angelis.

But he still backed him to perform well on the Tech-3 machine.

"I think Lorenzo and Dovizioso are the most talented riders of the four," Rossi added. Maybe Dovizioso has a small advantage because the Honda is easier to ride than the Yamaha, but we have to see what the 2008 Honda is like."

"I'm happy he's [Toseland] racing for Yamaha and I'm sure the bike will be better and he will do well."

The season kicks off with the Qatar Grand Prix on March 10, which will be the first Moto GP race in it's 48-year history to take place at night.

Jamie O'Leary / Eurosport
Seems a strange thing to say......
Mind games perhaps, I doubt it, maybe a few years ago.
A nice way of saying the Yamaha is sh#t and JT just isn't good enough to get the best out of it ............. ??
A dig at WSB's ??
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's official , Rossi off the wrong guy dontbap()ssy Taking it to the Track 3 04-14-2012 08:55 PM
What Rossi, Lorenzo, Edwards, Toseland do when they don't race? nutmegchoi Taking it to the Track 1 07-05-2009 12:01 PM
Limited Edition Rossi Celebr-8 GP-Tech BadApple Gear Talk 0 06-02-2009 07:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Sounds like Rossi is giving a PC response to make it sound better than he really thinks things are. It doesn't sound too bad, I don't think he's slamming JT, just being Rossi and tellin' it like it is.

I agree with everything he said here, I think Toseland was not making a very good decision either, and should have stuck with Honda. I think Vermolen should have done the same thing. I think both of those guys should have waited for a Honda ride, even if it were a satellite team.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Was there even a ride available from any of the honda teams in motogp?
I don't remember reading about any for JC or Vermulen.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Was there even a ride available from any of the honda teams in motogp?
I don't remember reading about any for JC or Vermulen.
It was being touted here that JT would replace Melandri (Hannspree Honda link)
Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
I agree with everything he said here, I think Toseland was not making a very good decision either, and should have stuck with Honda. I think Vermolen should have done the same thing. I think both of those guys should have waited for a Honda ride, even if it were a satellite team
I read that both these riders were promised rides by Honda in MotoGP following WSB duty that never materialized. I believe both opted for what they felt was the best "available" option !!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Scorpio

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
I read that both these riders were promised rides by Honda in MotoGP following WSB duty that never materialized. I believe both opted for what they felt was the best "available" option !!
Well, if that is indeed the case, then I would have done the same thing as them. Woulda been nice to see Toseland on one of the factory teams at least, but at least he's riding motogp and he probably won't have the same pressure as the factory riders. I wish him the best either way.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Well, if that is indeed the case, then I would have done the same thing as them. Woulda been nice to see Toseland on one of the factory teams at least, but at least he's riding motogp and he probably won't have the same pressure as the factory riders. I wish him the best either way.
Me too, I nicer bloke you couldn't hope to meet.
Off post, I note you have an '08 duc 848, what do you think of her ??
Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Scorpio

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Off post, I note you have an '08 duc 848, what do you think of her ??
PM sent
Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
PM sent
Thanks, a good read.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I'd love to meet King James in person, I've heard the same things you're commenting about him.

Off the topic, but Grinchy, why do you have a pic of a nekked kid in your avatar?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I'd love to meet King James in person, I've heard the same things you're commenting about him.

Off the topic, but Grinchy, why do you have a pic of a nekked kid in your avatar?
That's my 6yo daughter baking cookies...............
I just love the photo
Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Scorpio

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

LOL,
just noticed her little sticking out the back side. haha, yeah, may wanna change that with all the wierdo's on the net.

Anyways,
I'm thinking about it here, and what are those pinheads over at Honda thinking letting a such a great rider such as Toseland slip over to Yamaha. Honda, IMO, needs to work on their public image as much as possible and Toseland would have been a great person to represent the Brand. I don't get those guys.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
LOL,
just noticed her little sticking out the back side. haha, yeah, may wanna change that with all the wierdo's on the net.
I hear you,
I'm on it.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

A few years back when JT was riding the Fila Ducati in WSB, he came to the last leg of the British MRO championship at Brands Hatch and did some demonstration laps.
That evening myself and 4 pals headed up the circuit bar/pub for the end of season party.
A few hours later and very much worse for wear a packed bar was told that we were to be entertained by a little piano playing…..
Boo boo we all went and out walks JT !!!
He was the nuts and got the place rockin’.
Posed for photos after as well.
My mate Plug who’s a big lump and looks like a convict dragged him over to us for a chat by his shirt sleeve and he took it all in such good spirit. Could easily have called over the bouncers.
Wouldn’t come for a kebab though lol. (English thing, get drunk go for a kebab with chilli sauce)
Top bloke IMO
Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
hypertrophyy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Its well known that Honda provides a top bike to compete with. If Michelin comes this year with their A-game. The Repsol guys are going to be all over the podium. The Yamaha ride JT landed is probably the most competitive package offered to him at the time. JT knows Edwards well. Collin should be a great mentor giving lots of good advice to him. I too belive that Lorenzo and Dovizioso have more talent. The team owners know this thats why those guys were offered their spots. Jir Team Scot is investing in young talent and made a great pick with Dovizioso. The only place I see Toseland fitting in with Honda would be with Team Gresini. I believe he has more promise than those guys.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I think it will be an interesting year to watch MotoGP and I think JT wanted in on the game. Nobody is ever getting any younger.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #17
Chino
We need Emotional Content

Bike(s):
R6's

Quote:
PM sent
Scorpio, I'd like to know your opinion about the 848 since have been crossing my mind purchasing one... Would you mind share it?
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
I think it will be an interesting year to watch MotoGP and I think JT wanted in on the game. Nobody is ever getting any younger.
Only this week it was quoted in our press that Colin Edwards got to MotoGP and a decent ride two years too late by which time he wasn't hungry enough and too old.
Not sure I'd agree with that but the argument was that with two WSB championships under his belt and guaranteed financial security, he was never going to push hard enough and risk life and limb to be a MotoGP front runner !!

JT has two WSB championships. I guess we'll see how hungry he is for it
Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
ChemiKaze

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I agree with everything he said here, I think Toseland was not making a very good decision either, and should have stuck with Honda. I think Vermolen should have done the same thing. I think both of those guys should have waited for a Honda ride, even if it were a satellite team.

The key diff b/t CV and JT is that CV is actually on a factory team.. JT is on a sat. team.. Plus Honda is always slow in making promises unless you're a Japanese.

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote