MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post

i need a track fix already.......it's been almost 3 months since i've been on the track.

it's too cold.....see you boys and girls on the track in feb! hopefully it warms up by then

back to work for me

What a whimp you are! After seeing what Taeyoung is doing up in Minnesota, I can only laugh.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WHO IS ALL GOIN THE ONE Events, Meets and Rides 16 09-19-2009 09:42 AM
Goin' Fishin' SPYDER BITE Off Topic 16 10-06-2008 12:11 PM
goin' skydiving chase Off Topic 14 08-17-2008 05:45 PM
Goin' to the lake SPYDER BITE Off Topic 19 07-18-2008 04:30 PM
a whos goin too... carlos flores General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-28-2007 07:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #22
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

i've never been to the track but im going insane cuz i wanna go!!!!!!
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Turn seven is the "gravity cavity" there, and yeah, it feels cool!

The "hump" over the neckcar track between 3 and 4 is "wheelie hill", guess where that name came from?

You'll see similar speeds on the straight coming in to 1 on the mighty Gix. Indicated speeds will be around 180 on your speedo though. Top speed will probably be about 160- maybe a bit more. The fastest guys in CMRA on liter bikes there were clocked at a top speed of 168 or so.
What are the laptimes of average, non-racer, types at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #24
Alstare_Gixxer
Crash Meister

2:15 for non-racers. 2:00 for fast guys. 1:55 good enough for endurance and 1:50 for sprint guys.
Alstare_Gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #25
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
HAHA Tony i havent been on the track sine TWS (Texas World Speedway). I miss just looking at my bike every now and then. Only fast thing i get to see here is the F-16's going in and out and mortors coming in and thas good enough for about 2 weeks. Im going to need a fix bad when i get back.

Any one want to pay for mny first TD when i get back. It would be a good way to support your troops.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #26
maxgs

Member Garage

Done. Join me as a guest at MSR-H.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #27
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

I can't wait to be on the track again... Kinda funny that I am counting down the days till the 12th... Curt fudged me up bc he got me hooked on a sport that I can't quite afford but Im glad I can do it every once in a Blue Moon...
Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstare_Gixxer View Post
2:15 for non-racers. 2:00 for fast guys. 1:55 good enough for endurance and 1:50 for sprint guys.
Fast guys run in the high 40's, most mortals run in the 50-55 range (and are "fast"), most folks during track days run in the 2:00 range in the "a" group.

I run 57's on my stock engine SV, a bit fast on our mod'd SV (high 56's). I run 55's on my GSXR600, and I'm not a fast guy. Those guys blow by me like 'nuttin.

Alstare_Gixxer is pretty much accurate.

During endurance races, the 600 "Meat Grinder" class guys run high 40's to low 50's consistently, the F2 (SV) class runs 55- up to about 2:05 depending on the class size- class leaders run no slower than 2:00 in endurance. The Formula 1 guys (mod'd liter bikes) will consistently run in the high 40's.

With your experience in cars, since you know the layout of TWS (Texas World Speedway), and since you've logged so much seat time at the Mercedes course, you should fit nicely in the "b" group, and likely get "bumped" up to the "a" group by the end of the day. If you're comfortable in the "b" group, you can always stay there, and that's probably a good idea for your first time there, but the option to move up is always available.

Don't expect to run faster than 2:00 at your first time out there, and expect to see a bunch of folks pass you up like you're braking. If you come to one of our events there, I'll be more than happy to work with you for free.

I'm not the fastest, but I know my way around the track there pretty well.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #29
Alstare_Gixxer
Crash Meister

I'm trying to break the 2:00 myself, but with only few track days I can go per year, it'll be a tall order :(
Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstare_Gixxer View Post
I'm trying to break the 2:00 myself, but with only few track days I can go per year, it'll be a tall order :(
Turn 1 and 2 are the key! Once you figure out that turn, the rest of it gets easier with bigger bells!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:13 AM   #31
Alstare_Gixxer
Crash Meister

I haven't seen the line Tony has been raving about going full throttle into turn 1, but I think I hit 135 going into turn 1 but got bad line into turn 2 (hugging the inside line instead of drifting out then dipping into turn 2). Will work on that....
Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #32
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Fast guys run in the high 40's, most mortals run in the 50-55 range (and are "fast"), most folks during track days run in the 2:00 range in the "a" group.

I run 57's on my stock engine SV, a bit fast on our mod'd SV (high 56's). I run 55's on my GSXR600, and I'm not a fast guy. Those guys blow by me like 'nuttin.

Alstare_Gixxer is pretty much accurate.

During endurance races, the 600 "Meat Grinder" class guys run high 40's to low 50's consistently, the F2 (SV) class runs 55- up to about 2:05 depending on the class size- class leaders run no slower than 2:00 in endurance. The Formula 1 guys (mod'd liter bikes) will consistently run in the high 40's.

With your experience in cars, since you know the layout of TWS (Texas World Speedway), and since you've logged so much seat time at the Mercedes course, you should fit nicely in the "b" group, and likely get "bumped" up to the "a" group by the end of the day. If you're comfortable in the "b" group, you can always stay there, and that's probably a good idea for your first time there, but the option to move up is always available.

Don't expect to run faster than 2:00 at your first time out there, and expect to see a bunch of folks pass you up like you're braking. If you come to one of our events there, I'll be more than happy to work with you for free.

I'm not the fastest, but I know my way around the track there pretty well.
Tom,
That would be great, I'd really appreciate the help!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #33
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Tom,
That would be great, I'd really appreciate the help!
I have a strong feeling that you'll be juuuuust fine.

If you come out to the LSTD, just get with me at the beginning of the day and I'll make sure you get out for the 'round robin (a slow paced look at the track for the "c" group) so you can look at it from a bike perspective vs the car look you're used to. You can run the "b" group right after that, and I'll try to get out with you for the first couple of sessions. I think after that you'll be bookin'.

It's a fun track, and there is much to be learned there regarding carrying corner speed at a big track vs the technical tight stuff you've been learning. The tight technical stuff you've been running is definitely going to help your skills at TWS (Texas World Speedway), it's just different is all.

Turn 4 is my favorite corner there, and that's usually a great place to pass too.

Advertisement