Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Bomb Shelter Question...

Anyone know any Nuclear Fallout Shelters? I heard that Macy's downtown use to have one back in the 1950-60's that was in working order till about 80-90's and they recently (2000ish) closed the doors. Im just curious because I was wondering the locations of them incase anything was to happen! last count i hear was around 435 locations in Houston. most downtown because of the houses built back in the 1950's when it was a big scare people had shelters installed in their basements.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bully Shelter C.Hern5972 Off Topic 2 09-27-2012 05:14 AM
Bomb shelter - get in hurr, Poops kibitzer Off Topic 28 08-09-2012 02:08 PM
Gimme Shelter Wormgear General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 09-11-2008 07:56 PM
Hurricane bike shelter gtdrivr General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 09-08-2008 09:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

WTF are you preparing for sonny? you are scaring me now..
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
we need to hit up the gun shows get guns and tons of ammo... build a shelter in the woods for when SHTF
:thum b:
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Gryphin
09 r1!

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

haha nah, I was just curious, you know working for the man. How really i am in the dark in case SHTF in that aspect... were to go. I know Civil Defense use to have a bunch of shelters in texas, but i doubt they are maintained anylonger...
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Gryphin
09 r1!

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

http://www.gzanders.com/jic.pdf
Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
Gryphin
09 r1!

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

freaky!!! that got crunk on his !

i guess after watching I am legend and watching all the rest of the end of the world movies.. makes you think..
Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Drumboy

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

The dorm next to mine at A&M was a 3 dorm complex (FHK) and had a huge fallout shelter underneath it. When I lived there 99-00 there were several signs with the radiation sign and said 'SHELTER' on them. I think they might be gone now.

Me and a couple friends were hammered one night and realized that the lock on the big grate on the ground was off so we climbed down there and we got to a huge room that was being used as storage just underneath the big grate. From there we saw a metal gate with the shelter sign and then a long hallway that led to a big metal sealed door, but the gate was locked and there was no way in.
Drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy View Post
The dorm next to mine at A&M was a 3 dorm complex (FHK) and had a huge fallout shelter underneath it. When I lived there 99-00 there were several signs with the radiation sign and said 'SHELTER' on them. I think they might be gone now.

Me and a couple friends were hammered one night and realized that the lock on the big grate on the ground was off so we climbed down there and we got to a huge room that was being used as storage just underneath the big grate. From there we saw a metal gate with the shelter sign and then a long hallway that led to a big metal sealed door, but the gate was locked and there was no way in.
Howdy Ag!

I lived in Moore Hall. A&M has a big network of tunnels and fallout shelters underneath the campus. They are used now for pipes, cables, wires, fiber-optics, etc.

Good thing nobody caught ya'll down there, cause when i was living on campus (01-03) there was a standing rule that any students caught down there would be expelled.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
andre3k
I see dead people...

There are quite a few downtown in fact, but as you mentioned earlier they are no longer actively considered fallout shelters. There is still an old sign on the wall at 61 Riesner designating it a fallout shelter. The main post office used to be one as well. It seems to me that most of them had some type of basement level access and were in large and old buildings.

Fallout shelters were designed to give the public peace of mind and weren't really designed to sustain a large number of people for any length of time. Nuclear fallout last months and years, it takes a lot of resources to feed, house, clothe, and eliminate waste for that long.

Katrina / Rita was a test run of a SHTF scenario on a pretty small scale. No gas, food shelves empty, no cell phones, pretty much no concerted evacuation plan. It was a communication failure. I worked at the Astrodome for 2 weeks when the rufugees came in, it looked like we were in Monrovia, Liberia instead of Houston, TX. I can't think at any other time in recent US History where you had private military contractors on the ground working on US soil. Don't even mention the guns that were confiscated from private individuals in New Orleans.

Just imagine when terrorist release a biological weapon in a populated area. Talk about panic. The Soviets had some stuff that made the bubonic plague look like a cold.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Howdy Ag!

I lived in Moore Hall. A&M has a big network of tunnels and fallout shelters underneath the campus. They are used now for pipes, cables, wires, fiber-optics, etc.

Good thing nobody caught ya'll down there, cause when i was living on campus (01-03) there was a standing rule that any students caught down there would be expelled.
I heard about that when I was there and always wondered if it was true. I always figured someone had to have been caught down there somewhere and if they were actually expelled it would have probably led to a lawsuit and received media coverage.

PS. Moore Soft as Socks!!!

Moses Bish!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy View Post
I heard about that when I was there and always wondered if it was true. I always figured someone had to have been caught down there somewhere and if they were actually expelled it would have probably led to a lawsuit and received media coverage.

PS. Moore Soft as Socks!!!

Moses Bish!
Moore Hall Truckers! Bad F*ckers! Best Dorm On Campus!

Moses Hall...blows us all!

j/k
If you google A&M tunnels, there is a story about some corps guys getting arrested for going in there. The story says the incident was referred to the student conflict office for disciplinary action, but all that stuff is private. So no telling what happened to them.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Haha, good shlt.

Man, in the fall of 99 or spring of 2000, some guys from Moore came into out dorm in the middle of the night and stopped up all the drains in the showers on the 4th floor and turned them on. I was on the second floor and woke up to some lady mopping the walls and floor of my dorm. The people on the 1st floor had a couple inches of water on their floor and anything electronics on the floor were ruined.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Andre,

don't forget when a lot of those were built too...

Rumor was, the old Western Atlas complex at westhimer & blt 8 had a fallout shelter. Rumor also had it that it was sealed/closed off and essentialy was a hazard... Asbestos used as/in the insulation around the old piping etc.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

..in todays age, in the vent of attack. The lucky one are probably the ones taken out immediately.

Ignoring war, but considering hurricanes etc... check out monolithic.com
Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Andre,

don't forget when a lot of those were built too...

Rumor was, the old Western Atlas complex at westhimer & blt 8 had a fallout shelter. Rumor also had it that it was sealed/closed off and essentialy was a hazard... Asbestos used as/in the insulation around the old piping etc.
I'm not surprised, most old building have that hazard if they haven't been remediated. It would be nice to buy one of those old missle silos, just in case.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
..in todays age, in the vent of attack. The lucky one are probably the ones taken out immediately.

Ignoring war, but considering hurricanes etc... check out monolithic.com
monolithic ftw
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #17
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

url for those curious... 8o)

http://www.monolithic.com/