Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #41
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
well i think that some peeps believe that once they have ran the "B" group they can never step back down.
isn't it a fact that on LSTD friday trackdays there is almost never a "C" group(i think only at some MSR-C trackdays)?
that could be another misunderstanding.
and yes,taking the racer class WILL test if you can get passed or not.
but most importantly it WILL also test your ego,as you will run with much younger kids that have more experience.
try to attend with a buddy who knows "the ropes" of the event and it will be much more fun and smooth day.IMHO
ie. getting passed by a 125cc bike when you ride a 600cc can strike a nerve.
CMRA race weekend track days (the Friday's before) do not have a "c" group, and do not have a rider's school, they do have the CMRA licensing school though.

The exception to this is when the CMRA is racing the original course at Cresson, and the new course is used for 3 "street groups". We have a "c" group, and two "b" groups. This year however, the CMRA *may* race the 3.1, so that may go out the window this year. We'll see when the schedule is finalized for CMRA. We still don't run the rider's school though- we let our instructors get practice time for their race weekend and only use control riders for the street groups.

There are plenty of opportunities to "get your track on" with us this year, February is a great month to do it- GSS on the 16th is a great day for "noobs" to attend!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #42
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Nobody is OK a the track. That is why we are all there.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #43
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CBR View Post
Are there any days that they will have the riding school at Oak Hill? I'm from Nacogdoches and those other tracks are pretty far except for TWS (Texas World Speedway).
me and sum buddys of mine are gonna be there on 1-19-08. testing sum motards that we are racing at Pikes Peak. if you want... ill help lead you around the track. ive been racin at the hill since 1992.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #44
ysr612

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

track days on the big bikes are fun but if you really want to learn, learn on a mini.

TMGP next forum up. CMRA in some ways more fun then TMGP in some ways not.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #45
07CBR

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver
07 CBR600, black (wrecked/sold)
Suzuki DRZ400SM, yellow (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
me and sum buddys of mine are gonna be there on 1-19-08. testing sum motards that we are racing at Pikes Peak. if you want... ill help lead you around the track. ive been racin at the hill since 1992.
I may ride out there if the weathers good but I probably won't have my leathers by then so I won't be able to ride the track.
07CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #46
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CBR View Post
I may ride out there if the weathers good but I probably won't have my leathers by then so I won't be able to ride the track.
as I said, I don't think that Oak Hill is a very good idea to ride your first trackday.

your best bet is to do the GSS trackday on the 16th of Feb.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #47
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
For your information too Patricia, the "two deaths" at OHR could have happened anywhere! Neither were because of the track, and that's coming from the eyewitnesses (one of which was family).

Have you ever ridden OHR?

It kills me that people go on hearsay about things like this.
No, I haven't ridden Oakhill and would've only done so with a riding school but never on my own; especially not having any track experience. The fatalities weren't hear say but what I read on the forums and I know you know they are true. They happened outside of a riding school too. Yes, I am only going by hearsay for Oakhill but it is due to the many threads in which riders speak about Oakhill and that is is nothing for inexperienced riders. Attack them, not me, you are shooting the messenger.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #48
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1 View Post
as I said, I don't think that Oak Hill is a very good idea to ride your first trackday.

your best bet is to do the GSS trackday on the 16th of Feb.
i agree that GSS would be the best for a first timer. but Oakhill was the first track i went to with no track experience under my belt. as long as you use your head and dont go and try to set a new track record your first time out... i think you'll be ok there.

if you dont have enough self discipline to take easy, then you shouldnt even think about goin to the track at all !
Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #49
rc51eviltwin

Quote:
if you dont have enough self discipline to take easy, then you shouldnt even think about goin to the track at all !
+1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #50
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
. Attack them, not me, you are shooting the messenger.
to stop rumors is to first shoot the messenger.

JK.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #51
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
i agree that GSS would be the best for a first timer. but Oakhill was the first track i went to with no track experience under my belt. as long as you use your head and dont go and try to set a new track record your first time out... i think you'll be ok there.

Better to learn at the track then being dead on the street. At the track, you learn your limits and discipline.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #52
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Better to learn at the track then being dead on the street. At the track, you learn your limits and discipline.
well said level 5 !
Old 01-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #53
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
well said level 5 !
Thank you. Have I not known about the track, I would have been road kill.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #54
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
to stop rumors is to first shoot the messenger.

JK.

I figured posting up one noob to another would help and sorry, but all you guys make Oakhill sound like a special place, so mission accomplished, I have tons of respect for it.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #55
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
No, I haven't ridden Oakhill and would've only done so with a riding school but never on my own; especially not having any track experience. The fatalities weren't hear say but what I read on the forums and I know you know they are true. They happened outside of a riding school too. Yes, I am only going by hearsay for Oakhill but it is due to the many threads in which riders speak about Oakhill and that is is nothing for inexperienced riders. Attack them, not me, you are shooting the messenger.
Check yourself there Patricia- I'm not attacking you. What I am attacking is "Ooooh, Oak Hill is soooo dangerous, and Oak Hill has killed people..." it's all a bunch of hype and speculation, mostly from folks who have never ridden there. You can "read" all the internet "information" you want to, but the truth is that nobody has the information except the folks that were there. There were contributing factors to both deaths (notice that NOWHERE in my post did I say they didn't happen- the "hearsay" is in regard to people's speculation that the track is the cause of the death- you need to re-read what I posted), both of which (especially one) would have almost assuredly caused death anywhere!

TWS (Texas World Speedway) has claimed more lives than OHR has, yet you rode there as a "noob". Why aren't you spouting off about the people who died there and directing people not to attend a track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?

The simple truth is, when you ride at ANY track, you stand the chance of DIEING. Face it. And like Jody said "if you dont have enough self discipline to take easy, then you shouldnt even think about goin to the track at all !

My experience is, and hundreds (maybe thousands?) of others like me, started out at OHR as a first track experience. There is no issue with it, and any person, new or experienced, can ride it safely as they would any other track. The only stuff you'll see on the internet dioramas are from the riders that are at such a level none of use "mere mortals" will know. The racers that are "complaining" about the track surface, are the ones that run lap times most of us will never get close to.

Does it have some slick spots? Yup. So does Cresson, TWS (Texas World Speedway), Mercedes Road Course, etc, etc, etc. Does it have some run-off areas that are less than desirable? Yes, so do all of the above again. Does it have some pavement issues? Uh, yeah, and so do all of the above, again. Some better, some worse, some the same. It is what it is. No track is perfect.

My first track day in '88 was showing up at OHR, Charles Brothers took me around the track, we talked a bit, we went over rules, we talked about lines, we went over spots on the track, we rode a bunch. I got my "pink" shirt and raced my first race the very next day. Hundreds of folks did it the same way I did.

The simple fact is, if you've never been to a track day, you should sign up for the rider's school and run the "c" group. OHR does not offer either of those since they're race weekends, so that effectively puts it out IMHO for new folks.

As several of my posts already indicate (I think for the 4th time now?), go ahead and get your license (which means you took the rider's school, cmra school, and ran the "c" group), get your membership, practice at OHR and make sure you go with friends. Ask any of the CMRA folks (here or on the CMRA bbs) if they want to go with you, and have them show you around the track first and work on riding/ lines/ technique/ etc. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way, it's just another way of doing things.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #56
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) has claimed more lives than OHR has, yet you rode there as a "noob". Why aren't you spouting off about the people who died there and directing people not to attend a track day at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?
I was with a riding school and had an instructor in front of me most of the time and wasn't on my own during the week as one can do at OHR and what the OP is referring to. In the two years I've been browsing the forums, I haven't heard of a death at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that is why I didn't spout off about it.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #57
jodyhudson

Quote:
I was with a riding school and had an instructor in front of me most of the time and wasn't on my own during the week as one can do at OHR and what the OP is referring to. In the two years I've been browsing the forums, I haven't heard of a death at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that is why I didn't spout off about it.
well... you might wanna do your homework next time sweetheart
Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #58
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I haven't heard of a death at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that is why I didn't spout off about it.
And that is how rumors get out of hand. Simply, the deaths happen at tracks all over the world for various reasons. Some are due to rider error, some are spawned from mechanical issues, some are from lack of or improperly worn gear. Sometimes, these things happen at the worst places they could possibly happen, or circumstances of the event contribute to a very unfortunate outcome.

Believe me, these things can happen anywhere, at any time, at any track.

Oak Hill just happened to have some very unfortunate incidents, and they've been recent.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #59
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage