MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #21
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
If you can pony up the $500, I'd do it as a noob. You'll have the track basically to yourself for an entire day as well as dedicated instruction from Larry.
There are lots of peps that can give you the noob around for a lot less, i will save the money for when i have some track days under my belt. my .02 c.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
You do not have to have a license to run Oak Hill at our track days. However, we will not have a "c" group that day, and for that, I would say run the Grand Sport Speedway day on the 16th of February.

It will be a great way to introduce you to the track, and they'll be plenty of instructors on hand to help you if you want to take the course.

If nothing else, I'll get out there with you for a few laps to provide some critique if you like
Oh yeah, we'll have instruction available, we always will help out new folks to the track.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #23
07CBR

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver
07 CBR600, black (wrecked/sold)
Suzuki DRZ400SM, yellow (sold)

I think I'll try the one on the 16th, my leathers should be here by then and from what ya'll are saying I'll get more out of it.

We were wanting to get our liscense so we could go out there, Oak Hill, during the week if we felt like it, you have to have it for that, from what I understand (I could be wrong though).

Thanks for all the input and help, Kane

Last edited by 07CBR; 01-02-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Figured out how to register for the riding school.
07CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #24
07CBR

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver

Are there any days that they will have the riding school at Oak Hill? I'm from Nacogdoches and those other tracks are pretty far except for TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #25
rc51eviltwin

i did my first track day under very similar circumstances and felt very out of place.it was also a race weekend and there was no c group.b group as a noob is No way to start this experience,you will prolly not be happy.weather conditions will also not be optimal for a confidence inpiring trackday.if i was gonna do it all over i would wait for a day when you have some instruction.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #26
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CBR View Post
Are there any days that they will have the riding school at Oak Hill? I'm from Nacogdoches and those other tracks are pretty far except for TWS (Texas World Speedway).
As I mentioned in the previous posts, you don't have to have a license to attend an LSTD at Oak Hill. However, there is no "c" group on any of those days, and no rider's school. There is a licensing school, but no rider's school.

I think your plan to attend GSS on the 16th with the school is the best bet. Sign up for the school and the "c" group on that date and you'll be in great shape.

You can do the racer's school on the 16th if you want, but there's really no reason to do that on your first track day. See how you feel and then get another few track days under your belt before you get your license. IMHO.

See you out there!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
07CBR

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver

It says on the Oak Hill website that "liscensced kart and motorcycle racers can rent the track for the entire day...for $75 a day" for CMRA. I understand that you don't have to have your liscense to go out there for a trackday.

But yeah, I'm thinking about the track day the weekend before that where there's a "C" group and riders school.

Thanks, Kane
Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Oh, OK, I mis-understood you.

Yeah, there's not much to getting your license and being able to use OHR for the $75 bucks. You don't have to be "fast" to get your license either- just don't crash for the day!

When you do it, make sure you never, ever, ever go to OHR alone!

You probably already know that... but some people do it anyway.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #29
07CBR

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver

Yeah, I want to get my liscense so we can go out there but I also want some instruction. Thanks for everyone's input and because of that I think I'm going to go to one that has a "C" group and riding school first.

Thanks, Kane
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Yeah, I want to get my liscense so we can go out there but I also want some instruction. Thanks for everyone's input and because of that I think I'm going to go to one that has a "C" group and riding school first.

Thanks, Kane
If you get the license and want to go to Oak Hill, I'm usually game for that if I'm off. There's usually a few others who'll go too. Nobody would mind working with you there either, I know I will.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #31
07CBR

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver

I appreciate it, and I may take you up on that offer.
Kane
Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #32
ChemiKaze

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

Quote:
A friend of mine has been wanting to get his racing liscense through LSTD so he can go do Oak Hill, it's close to us, on the weekends without a trackday. I'd also like to get mine but I've never been to the track and the trackday on Feb. 22 won't have a beginners group. We're going to have to run in the B group.

So I guess my question is, do ya'll think I'll be ok on that day if I know my limits and don't push it too hard or should I go to a trackday that has a beginners group? I don't want to be a hassle to anyone or be in the way.

I have about 7k miles on my bike last year and think I'm a decent rider, no kneedragging or anything, but have a head on my shoulders and use it.

Thanks, 07CBR
It doesn't matter what group, you will use that day at OHR, because you'll most likely be wearing a yellow shirt and have special track access if you sign for the riders' school that day..

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #33
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:
When's the next noob day? That's what I was thinking but didn't know for sure.

I am going to the Feb 11 at MSR in Cresson, TX with RideSmart. They will have all levels going (including the beginner, intermediate, advanced and the Ty Howard race school). So if you want to get sooner, give them a try. Their web site is www.ridesmart.info.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #34
ange062

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
I'd have to say NO!!! go to n00b day + you need to have a cmra license to run OakHill
+1, definitely get some track experience under your belt before doing the CMRA license school
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #35
ange062

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Have any noobs taken advantage of the $500 Private Lessons by Larry at Longhorn? Is it worthwhile for noobies, or better suited for experienced trackday riders? At least we won't have to wait until the next noob day! I'm really feeling the itch to do trackdays, now that Patrick is completely upgrading my bike's suspension, and I don't know if I can wait another 1-1/2 to 2 months!!
I did it, though I had quite a bit of track experience under my belt, I think it would really be good for anyone from beginner to advanced as Larry can adjust his curriculum out and help any level rider get better.
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #36
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
I did it, though I had quite a bit of track experience under my belt, I think it would really be good for anyone from beginner to advanced as Larry can adjust his curriculum out and help any level rider get better.
I haven't taken his class yet but would still recommend having 2-3 TD's under his belt before spending that kind of cash. My.02
Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #37
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

I did my first trackday with about 7000 miles under my belt and there is no way, I would've been ready for the B group prior to a raceweekend or the CMRA school.

Also note that from what is heard, Oakhill seems to be a very dangerous track and as long as I've been riding (started 2 yrs ago), there have been two deaths at practise sessions such as what you describe.

If you are a noob, I'd say learn your lines and track riding from a riding school on tracks less dangerous than Oakhill. It may be tempting to go there for a fix but if I was you, I'd wait until there is some more experience under the leathers.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #38
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
I did my first trackday with about 7000 miles under my belt and there is no way, I would've been ready for the B group prior to a raceweekend or the CMRA school.

Also note that from what is heard, Oakhill seems to be a very dangerous track and as long as I've been riding (started 2 yrs ago), there have been two deaths at practise sessions such as what you describe.

If you are a noob, I'd say learn your lines and track riding from a riding school on tracks less dangerous than Oakhill. It may be tempting to go there for a fix but if I was you, I'd wait until there is some more experience under the leathers.
Good Lord. Doom and gloom!

When I first started racing, I had very little road experience, and was given the CRRC riding school AT Oak Hill, and raced the next day!

For your information too Patricia, the "two deaths" at OHR could have happened anywhere! Neither were because of the track, and that's coming from the eyewitnesses (one of which was family).

Have you ever ridden OHR?

It kills me that people go on hearsay about things like this. EVERY friggin' track is "dangerous"! I can pick apart every single track we race/ do track days at and find something that could kill or seriously injure you under the right conditions.

Here are some facts:
1. If you are a competent rider, you can get your CMRA license with no fuss, no muss. If you are learning to ride, then yeah, it may not be for you, heck, riding track days at all may not be for you. That's why LSTD has certain requirements for "new" folks who are attending our track days (that aren't geared toward "noobs").

2. Every track is "dangerous". If you don't think so, you need to re-evaluate the sport you are getting in to. You could feasibly attend a track day and not go home again. Cold hard truth.

3. The CMRA licensing school is for people to get their license, solely. It's not a race (though some students can't get that through their heads no matter how hard we push that fact), and you don't have to be "fast". It could be your first track day, and you'll be fine to get your license. There are qualified people evaluating you all day, and they'll let you know if you need to pursue the license at a different time.

4. Just because you get your license doesn't mean you have to race! Having a license and riding Oak Hill for practice is a great incentive, and will get you ready to race. Get your license, practice at OHR, run some track days, and when you get to a respectable novice pace, attend your first race. What the is wrong with that???

5. If you attend OHR for practice, bring friends and a trailer (if you have one). Don't go alone. OHR is quite a ways out of town, and sometimes cell service is hit/ miss. I'd try to go with 4 or 5 folks if possible. At least 3. I'd find another day to go if there aren't at least 3 other folks out there at the same time (during race season, that's pretty easy to do).

6. $75 to practice at a technical and fun track is a great incentive just to pay the licensing fee.

7. You can get your license, and ride in the "c" group. You don't have to run the "b" group. Not sure where that misinformation got started. Getting your license simply means that you've been evaluated that you don't do anything stupid on the track, can pass and be passed, and you are capable of handling yourself in the mock race without crashing. The classroom gives you the information for race day operations. This is different than the "rider's school" we provide. I'd get both if I were to get my license at my first track day.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 01-07-2008 at 12:18 PM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #39
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Quote:

4. Just because you get your license doesn't mean you have to race! Having a license and riding Oak Hill for practice is a great incentive, and will get you ready to race. Get your license, practice at OHR, run some track days, and when you get to a respectable novice pace, attend your first race. What the is wrong with that???
6. $75 to practice at a technical and fun track is a great incentive just to pay the licensing fee.

those two would be a great incentive for me. And I think you are right, anyone getting into this sport has to sit down, and understand that there is inherent danger in this sport, and that despite it all, they are willing to do it.
Without that, your head may not be in this during the sessions, which may result in bad consequences for the rider or worse, others around him/her.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #40
rc51eviltwin

Quote:
Good Lord. Doom and gloom!.............

7. You can get your license, and ride in the "c" group. You don't have to run the "b" group. Not sure where that misinformation got started. Getting your license simply means that you've been evaluated that you don't do anything stupid on the track, can pass and be passed, and you are capable of handling yourself in the mock race without crashing. The classroom gives you the information for race day operations. This is different than the "rider's school" we provide. I'd get both if I were to get my license at my first track day.
well i think that some peeps believe that once they have ran the "B" group they can never step back down.
isn't it a fact that on LSTD friday trackdays there is almost never a "C" group(i think only at some MSR-C trackdays)?
that could be another misunderstanding.
and yes,taking the racer class WILL test if you can get passed or not.
but most importantly it WILL also test your ego,as you will run with much younger kids that have more experience.
try to attend with a buddy who knows "the ropes" of the event and it will be much more fun and smooth day.IMHO
ie. getting passed by a 125cc bike when you ride a 600cc can strike a nerve.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote