MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
stunt-r
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
(2) KLX110 stock-mod class / KLX110 stocker / His & Her XR50s stock-mods

Send a message via AIM to stunt-r
POWDERCOATING QUESTION!!!

i bought a swingarm for my 50, a down components +4 swingarm, aluminum. it has been powdercoated pink, and i thought about powdercoating it a different color. but a guy on 50riders told me that if i repowdercoat aluminum it will weaken the strength of the metal a WHOLE lot! is this true? if so ill just leave it pink, i honestly dont care. or would it be better to paint this like i did all of my other 50s?

also, can you sandblast that powdercoating off of the aluminum? or will it ruin the metal?

time for yall powdercoaters to chime in haha
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powdercoating in Houston? Brian2006 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-14-2012 11:14 PM
Is it worth powdercoating ??? lanzer913 Off Topic 71 10-06-2009 07:47 AM
powdercoating FasterFaster Performance and Modifications 20 01-14-2008 08:11 AM
powdercoating NO MORE F4I General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 12-27-2006 09:39 AM
Where to get powdercoating done? Paintbawler General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-09-2006 09:36 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Get with Scootertrash, but as I understand it:

You can blast the old PC off and start over

Re-coating will not harm the metal (with the low-temp like ST uses)
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
stunt-r
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
(2) KLX110 stock-mod class / KLX110 stocker / His & Her XR50s stock-mods

Send a message via AIM to stunt-r
i was told to heat it up first, then use aircraft remover to get most of it off, then to sandblast it lastly and then do whatever. i think i may just paint it single stage paint like my stunt 50 (the black and lime green one im sure yall have seen). i might do base coat, clear coat, and do a black to red fade and clear it. havent decided. i might even leave it pink. who knows, we will see when it gets here i guess...

but my main concern is i dont want to harm the metal
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Don't heat it up- it won't help anything, and may fatigue the aluminum. The heat used for pc'ing is different than if you heated it up with a torch or something.

If you want to strip it, I'd blast it- you can use aircraft stripper, but I don't think it'll work too well on pc.

If you just want to paint it, I'd scuff the pc and paint over it. Do a white coat first, then you can paint anything on top of that.

You can do the 2 stage krylon and I'm sure it'll look just fine for stunnin.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

As mentioned, contact Scootertrash. He should be able to strip the old PC for you and throw on a new color.

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
J-Row
Gold MemberŪ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR, 2006 1000RR (STOLEN)

+1 Scootertrash
PGR #121546
J-Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 AM   #7
mammothmc

Duplicolor bedliner in a spraycan....

Do a really light misted on coat & it turns out pretty durable & looks almost as good as powdercoating & you can touch it up easily when you scratch it.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt-r View Post
i bought a swingarm for my 50, a down components +4 swingarm, aluminum. it has been powdercoated pink, and i thought about powdercoating it a different color. but a guy on 50riders told me that if i repowdercoat aluminum it will weaken the strength of the metal a WHOLE lot! is this true? if so ill just leave it pink, i honestly dont care. or would it be better to paint this like i did all of my other 50s?

also, can you sandblast that powdercoating off of the aluminum? or will it ruin the metal?

time for yall powdercoaters to chime in haha
I would dunk the swing arm in my tank o' death ( stripper tank) and let the chemicals do the cleaning, then I would re-powder it. , if you dont like pink, re powder it, if you like pink, pimp it..

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt-r View Post
i was told to heat it up first, then use aircraft remover to get most of it off, then to sandblast it lastly and then do whatever. i think i may just paint it single stage paint like my stunt 50 (the black and lime green one im sure yall have seen). i might do base coat, clear coat, and do a black to red fade and clear it. havent decided. i might even leave it pink. who knows, we will see when it gets here i guess...

but my main concern is i dont want to harm the metal
yeah, dont heat it with a torch or anything like that, my tank o death will clean it right nice in a day.
If you decide to spray bomb it, leave the pink base coat on, it is a good strong base and also light enough to paint over easily. just scuff it with a green scrubby pad real good and spray away.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
yeah, dont heat it with a torch or anything like that, my tank o death will clean it right nice in a day.
If you decide to spray bomb it, leave the pink base coat on, it is a good strong base and also light enough to paint over easily. just scuff it with a green scrubby pad real good and spray away.
There you go Matt! Get 'r dun!

Hey Tim, is that the same thing they used to kill the Toons in Roger Rabbit? (dip)
Old 12-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
There you go Matt! Get 'r dun!

Hey Tim, is that the same thing they used to kill the Toons in Roger Rabbit? (dip)
dizzamn ! it just might be

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]

Advertisement