MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Feedback Rating: (2)

NYPD to road test electric scooters

NEW YORK (AP) -- Police working to keep the city safer will be trying to keep it greener too -- by testing an electric, ultra-quiet scooter.
New York Police Department Detective Derek Siconolfi tests a Vectrix electric motor scooter.

Four plug-in Vectrix scooters will be road tested starting early next month as the New York Police Department tries to become more environmentally friendly and reduce gasoline use in its massive motor fleet.
The nation's largest police department already uses a handful of hybrid cars and so-called flex-fuel vehicles, which can run on both gasoline and ethanol.
I wish the State Troopers would use these here for traffic control oh well

"Police effectiveness comes first, but where we can combine environmentally friendly vehicles without compromising the mission, we do," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
The sleek, two-wheel Vectrix scooters are the first all-electric vehicles to be government-certified to travel on any highway, street or road, said Andrew MacGowen, president of the Rhode Island-based company.
The NYPD says officers use the current fleet of regular-fuel scooters to patrol city parks, police street demonstrations or direct traffic.
The Vectrix has a top speed of more than 60 mph and is recharged by plugging it in a standard outlet for two hours. Its higher purchase price compared to other scooters would be quickly offset by the fuel savings, the department said.
Detective Derek Siconolfi, who will train riders, suggested the quiet engines also offer a side benefit: the element of surprise.
"You could easily sneak up on somebody if they don't expect it," he said
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 01-08-2008 at 11:06 AM.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road Test Iraz New Riders and MSF Course Info 5 07-24-2015 08:06 AM
Road Rage with Electric Saw Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-14-2013 05:58 PM
Test ride on an electric MC. The BeastMaster General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 02-18-2013 01:21 PM
Replay1080XD road test CraigRR General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 11-12-2011 01:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
maskale

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR Trackbike
2007 Warrior Midnight

yeah that will run down a sport bike.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskale View Post
yeah that will run down a sport bike.
Dude its Green (environmentally friendly) + "You could easily sneak up on somebody if they don't expect it,"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

im thinking itll be FAR more effective than the bicycle cop.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 AM   #5
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

it wont be cost effective IMO. The COH has 600cc Suzuki Burgman scooters that are used by the Mobility Response Team. One went down in a 15 - 20 mph crash and it was totalled. Police stuff gets used an abused so much that I dont think any moped would be able to take the abuse.

Bikes are a better investment but they have to be managed differently and are limited in scope. I rode a Specialized Rockhopper for two years when I worked downtown and I probably wrote just as many tickets and arrests as I did driving in a car. I wouldn't ride one in the hood though and try to make traffic stops, those 's would run from you all day long.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
it wont be cost effective IMO. The COH has 600cc Suzuki Burgman scooters that are used by the Mobility Response Team. One went down in a 15 - 20 mph crash and it was totalled. .

How did the officer come out? was he totaled as well?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post

How did the officer come out? was he totaled as well?
They are ridden by civilians who work closely with HPD. They do traffic control on all the big 18 wheeler accidents, fatalities, pretty much any situation where a street needs to be shut down. They wear a brown uniform with bdu pants. Anyway, the guy had some road rash and thats about it. They give them basic safety gear, but nothing that I would wear.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
They are ridden by civilians who work closely with HPD. They do traffic control on all the big 18 wheeler accidents, fatalities, pretty much any situation where a street needs to be shut down. They wear a brown uniform with bdu pants. Anyway, the guy had some road rash and thats about it. They give them basic safety gear, but nothing that I would wear.
I see thanks

Advertisement