Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #21
Greenway Smokey
Super duper member!
Feedback Rating: (0)

'04 1200XL

Send a message via AIM to Greenway Smokey
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
As some others have mentioned, a little water shouldnt hurt - some forced induction cars (including my previous Z28) use water injection for intake air temp cooling. I'd imagine your engine would stop firing, before you ran into hydrolock issues.
is that like water meth injection? I know peeps in the VW club doing it.
If dwells inside us, like some people say, I sure hope he likes enchiladas, because that's what he's getting!
Greenway Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'09-'14 Ninja 250/300 BMC Race Air Filters $42.99 Today Only! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 0 07-23-2014 06:43 AM
air filters: how often to clean/change? lucydad How To's and Q & A's 10 04-11-2012 09:57 PM
K&N air filters CBR_10 Performance and Modifications 11 01-06-2009 05:11 PM
Uni Carb air filters derrex General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 03-22-2008 01:20 AM
Air filters Old School RR General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 01-10-2008 11:50 PM
Old 12-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #22
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
Feedback Rating: (3)

'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

My street tracker has K&N pod filters. They are fairly protected when it rains but washing is a different story.
If I'm not careful it is hard to start and runs crappy for a few minutes. I think it will be OK if you are cautious and keep in mind that it's exposed.
Look at it this way...
If it were a REALLY bad idea, we would all know not to do it. Since that isn't the case, it'll be alright.
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #23
Radiator Wrecker

2000 ZX-12R

Originally Posted by Greenway Smokey View Post
is that like water meth injection? I know peeps in the VW club doing it.
Yep, pretty much the same purpose and delivery, 'cept the meth or alky is also an additional fuel source.
IMG 0160 1

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #24
Feedback Rating: (1)

05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
i have rode home about an hour in pouring rain with 4 exposed k&n filters no problems then or now
ANTISOCIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #25
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Water would cause a hydrolock with in excess; otherwise a small amount, vapor, etc will likely burn up and go out the cylinder. We're not talking continuous riding for extended periods of time w/ water in the intake; like a t-engine w water injection valves.

The reason the bikes ran funny when raining is because the air is restricted by the wet mesh or cotton in the filter. That changes the map of your bike and will peg it rich due to restriction of flow. If you're bike runs an h02 system w closed loop, it may be able to adjust for a little; but also more prone to set an FI light.

Remember most FI bikes use only MAP and throttle position w/ rpm to determine fuel. So if throttle is greater percentage w/ less MAP pressure then CPU used to seeing, the controller will likely run w the MAP values which would cause the bike to be sluggish. On a carburated setup, you simply won't have air flow over the venturi, stalling or loupy idle and lessened acceleration until it warms up.

Find a dry spot, pop off the filter, start up bike and use exhaust to dry it off.... jk....
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #26

cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote