MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
dangdatspete

Member Garage

DUMB QUESTIONS NEEDED ANSWERED PLEASE. DONT MAKE FUN OF ME, IM A NOOB

Ok well this is a dumb question I think, but I rarely get to get out riding and barely make it to any of the meets, always busy working and don't have time to learn the things I should probably learn with my bike. BUT my registration sticker has been expired since 2003. Where is a place I can get it and what is the average price?

ALSO: my oil light is going off, and I just bought this bike as a keeper for myself, the seller told me I should geta full tune up, change oil and flush out all my fluids, whats the average on that?

LAST: I'm not that bad of a rider and really don't have time to take the MSF class, but like I said, I barely get out, but I am smart enough to ride in small groups to be safe and take my bike riding learning slow, I am no pro at all yet, still learning a lotta new things in riding, I need to get my "M" class license for now just in case I get pulled over because I heard cops are locking down on bikes lately, so at least I can ride legal in my small times of riding and learning on my bike. Is it true, I can go to the DPS and take the easy computer test and have someone follow me on my bike for the riding test and it costs like 15 bucks for the M class license?

Thanks guys for the help, hopefully I'll get out with you guys more often and start posting up on threads more. Please inform me some and help me out, appreciate it fella's! :biggthumpup:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To those that answered all my dumb questions about my bike and the track Grimace Taking it to the Track 9 01-28-2010 09:05 AM
MOTORCYCLISTS INSURANCE QUESTIONS ANSWERED. PETE General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 02-10-2006 09:23 AM
Our Questions are answered! dotcom Off Topic 18 11-14-2005 06:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2005, 02:54 AM   #2
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Feedback Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku
Re: DUMB QUESTIONS NEEDED ANSWERED PLEASE. DONT MAKE FUN OF ME, IM A NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangdatspete

I barely get out, but I am smart enough to ride in small groups to be safe and take my bike riding learning slow
Just like when you rode with the stunters that do endos on the freeway.

racerx/usa.org or someone will help you out with all you paper issues.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

hmmm.........lets look at the odds here.

riders aged 16-30 have the highest % of deaths amongst riders
90+% of rider deaths are people who are self taught or taught by friends or family.
most sportbikers can say they've crashed.........i have

so what are the odds?

www.msf-usa.org

next class i teach is 9/10

spring branch I.S.D. $165 for at least aug 713-365-5660

sat & sun 7:00-5:00 scheduled, sometimes you finish early.

you should make time, your bones will thank you.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
TxVrod

Listen to RacerX.... You might think you know everything until you take an MSF calss. It's worth the insurance discount, too (not Progressive - they offer no MSF discount).
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Ok well this is a dumb question I think, but I rarely get to get out riding and barely make it to any of the meets, always busy working and don't have time to learn the things I should probably learn with my bike. BUT my registration sticker has been expired since 2003. Where is a place I can get it and what is the average price?

ALSO: my oil light is going off, and I just bought this bike as a keeper for myself, the seller told me I should geta full tune up, change oil and flush out all my fluids, whats the average on that?

LAST: I'm not that bad of a rider and really don't have time to take the MSF class, but like I said, I barely get out, but I am smart enough to ride in small groups to be safe and take my bike riding learning slow, I am no pro at all yet, still learning a lotta new things in riding, I need to get my "M" class license for now just in case I get pulled over because I heard cops are locking down on bikes lately, so at least I can ride legal in my small times of riding and learning on my bike. Is it true, I can go to the DPS and take the easy computer test and have someone follow me on my bike for the riding test and it costs like 15 bucks for the M class license?

Thanks guys for the help, hopefully I'll get out with you guys more often and start posting up on threads more. Please inform me some and help me out, appreciate it fella's! :biggthumpup:
Welcome aboard and feel at home.

1 - Any Fiesta or Randalls will sell you the registration sticker but they are going to ask for your Motorcycle liability insurance.
2 - Brand, model & year..?? Have you check the oil level..?? Even if the oil level is OK is better to change the oil asap, who knows when was the last time the previous owner change it.
3 - Find time for the MSF..!!! The skills learned at the class can save your life. You must be able to find some free time, if you take the MSF class you do not need to take the riding test at the DSP, only the written test and you will get a 10% disount in your insurance.
last but not least...practice makes perfect...the more you ride the more confortable you will get in the bike until is second nature.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
nels

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

Normally, if you get your registration before it expires, you can get it at grocery stores like Zapata said. Since it's way overdue, you're gonna have to go to a Tax Assessor/Collector's Office, depending where you live. Like, if you live in Ft. Bend/Sugar Land, there's one off of Williams Trace and 59, hidden behind that Shell gas station. If you in Harris County, there's a bunch of locations, one's around Bellaire and Gulfton area, there's one off of Griggs Rd and MLK. You can look up locations online. I gotta get mine before the end of the month, and I think it said 42 bucks for it.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Send a message via AIM to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via MSN to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via Yahoo to UrMyStlkAl

I agree w/ them, MSF class is a great way to help you learn. It will not make you a pro, you still have alot of practice to do after but it helps you with the basics and makes you more comfertable.
UrMyStlkAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Yokee
Shorty :(

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
13' CBR250
05' ZX6R 636 (sold)
Aprilia RS80 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Yokee Send a message via MSN to Yokee

I've been riding for only 1300 miles (05' zx6r, first bike)
and I can tell you MSF class knowledge* has saved my at least two times so far... :biggthumpup:

I'm glad I took it* right:

By the way I took it at SB ISD
Old 08-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
speedismo
OCD for speed

oil light going off?
if i am not wrong, that happens when ur oil level goes LOW!
and I am sure you would know wat happens to the engine when it does not have enough oil.
you should fill up as quickly as possible!!!!!!

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
Hainess
Biggest Poser

Class M yes with "J" restriction is 15 bucks at dps..the test is a piece of cake total joke. Registration is in downtown at Preston in between Main and Fannin, you need insurance and its about $43.80.
What I learned when I took the test is your not suppose to kick the dog that is approaching you on your bike. Instead you slow down and speed up. Kicking the dog just seemed so appropriate :dontknow:
Hainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #11
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainess
Class M yes* with "J" restriction is 15 bucks at dps..the test is a piece of cake total joke.*
yup, sad how easy the test is...........but how about arrangements for the test.........

i've been told

you have to go to DPS in the morn. schedule a test. come back later on that day w/ a licensed rider a licensed and registered insured bike, riding the bike, a car or a bike on a trailer. and somebody else has to drive the car.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 08-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
TxVrod

No kidding. I would much rather spend the $165 and learn something. The fact I didn't have to take the driving test was a bonus.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
dangdatspete

Member Garage

im going to eventually take the MSF class when I get time, but for now I am just worried about legalizing myself and the bike so when i go on my 5-10 minutes rides, ill at least be ok if I get pulled over. but as of now I cant take any MSF classes, yes i know everyone falls, ive already taken one, but i mean thats tough luck on me =/ . i heard theres a place called lucky sticker on bellaire/59 that does registration for 13 bucks? i already have insurance
Old 08-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #14
PORSCHITO

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

if its ur first time to do registration your gonna have to pay sale tax and fees.... so its gonna be way more then $13 .
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
dangdatspete

Member Garage

how much is a full tune up and oil change and flushing out my fluids on a 02 honda cbr f4i?!?! someone please tell me, i need to get this done hopefully next week
Old 08-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #16
nels

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

Quote:
im going to eventually take the MSF class when I get time, but for now I am just worried about legalizing myself and the bike so when i go on my 5-10 minutes rides, ill at least be ok if I get pulled over. but as of now I cant take any MSF classes, yes i know everyone falls, ive already taken one, but i mean thats tough luck on me =/ . i heard theres a place called lucky sticker on bellaire/59 that does registration for 13 bucks? i already have insurance
thats Inspection you talking about, it was 12.50 for me.* Registration is the stickers you put on ur plates, one for month the other for year.* Inspection it the bigger blue sticker they punch holes on.
also...
call or pm Patrick for prices, I saw somewhere that he does oil change plus overall checkup for around 40 bucks.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #17
Hainess
Biggest Poser

dangdates pete...you know REGISTRATION is different from INSPECTION right? *Registration is paying taxes on your and thats $43.80 *inspection is $13. * Yeah its a hassle to get rider that has a bike and legit but its not that bad? *You just drive up your car while they follow you, why does it have to be trailored? *The person is insured and has license so why couldnt they just follow you on their bike while u drive your car and then swap vehicles for the test? I dont know im just asking so dont blow off. *
Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #18
Hainess
Biggest Poser

thats Inspection you talking about, it was 12.50 for me.* Registration is the stickers you put on ur plates, one for month the other for year.* Inspection it the bigger blue sticker they punch holes on.
Actually registration is only 1 sticker with both month and year and its silver
Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #19
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
how much is a full tune up and oil change and flushing out my fluids on a 02 honda cbr f4i?!?! someone please tell me, i need to get this done hopefully next week*
how many miles on the bike?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 08-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #20
Hainess
Biggest Poser

im still wondering why cant someone on their bike that has license and insurance ride their bike up there while they follow you in your car?

Advertisement