MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
lump9
I Love Lamp

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
GSXR 750

Good Lookin' 450!

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image...07/2/LB_14.htm
lump9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lookin for good lots TyMann Stunters Lounge 6 07-02-2011 06:38 PM
lookin for some good advice shaneo57 General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 02-23-2010 02:09 AM
good lookin chick walking out of the parking garage urbanXJ Off Topic 100 09-07-2009 11:33 AM
Lookin for a good shop. DLunsford21 Performance and Modifications 14 05-23-2007 08:24 AM
ducati tail section...lookin good.. TWISTED METAL General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-25-2006 03:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Sickness...

I want to build one of these fo sho.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
AZ slide

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Send a message via AIM to AZ slide
me and my friend are starting to build one, way harder than it looks
AZ slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ slide View Post
me and my friend are starting to build one, way harder than it looks
Really? What are you having issues with?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Really? What are you having issues with?
+1 more details please
Old 12-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
+1 more details please
Seems pretty easy to me. Swap out the front end, install a shock, make/ adapt some rearsets, mount up some bodywork... what am I missing?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Seems pretty easy to me. Swap out the front end, install a shock, make/ adapt some rearsets... what am I missing?
fixed it for you

all jokes aside. From what i've seen the tricky part is getting the suspension set up right(springs/oil). Other than that everything slides right in and parts are cheap.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

I saw the super-mono idea a few months ago and have been considering a conversion with my sxv5.5. I know it wouldn't be a supermono 450 like they are looking for but it sure would be FUN! With a pipe and intake I'll be at over 70 hp at the wheel on a bike under 300 lbs wet.

awww.. and I though I was almost done with projects!

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
I saw the super-mono idea a few months ago and have been considering a conversion with my sxv5.5. I know it wouldn't be a supermono 450 like they are looking for but it sure would be FUN! With a pipe and intake I'll be at over 70 hp at the wheel on a bike under 300 lbs wet.

awww.. and I though I was almost done with projects!
Would be hard to mess with that bike at all fer sher... I'd have a hard time changing anything too.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

ya, it seems like a conversion that would not be too difficult, from what i've looked into.

the hardest thing would be coming up with the money for the wheels. everything else can be purchased used and modified to fit.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
ya, it seems like a conversion that would not be too difficult, from what i've looked into.

the hardest thing would be coming up with the money for the wheels. everything else can be purchased used and modified to fit.

That's what I'm thinking too. The wheels may actually be the easy part- the front end will use whatever wheel comes with it (like a GSXR wheel/ front end on a RM chassis). The rear wheel can be a stocker too, just have to make spacers for the axle. As long as the swingarm is wide enough for the tire, use a stock CBR wheel/ axle with the right spacers.

Like above, I agree that suspension setup may be the only sticky point with swingarm angle.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
working on a motoped

Quote:
Would be hard to mess with that bike at all fer sher... I'd have a hard time changing anything too.
For less weight, Larry's 450 is putting out over 60 HP on AF1's dyno and I believe all he did was intake and exhasut also. That would be over 70 HP on a DYNO JET. Yes, from a 450!

BUT, they are twins not singles.

Hmm..... now that I think about it.. My gsxr track bike might have to go up for sale soon to free up some cash.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
For less weight, Larry's 450 is putting out over 60 HP on AF1's dyno and I believe all he did was intake and exhasut also. That would be over 70 HP on a DYNO JET. Yes, from a 450!

BUT, they are twins not singles.

Hmm..... now that I think about it.. My gsxr track bike might have to go up for sale soon to free up some cash.
Related story- I was on my friend's '05 GSXR750, a very well-tuned and sorted bike with lots of go-fast goodies (but stock engine), and Jody Hudson was on his (then new) SXV. During the mock race at TWS (Texas World Speedway), Jody and I (along with some other instuctors) started in the back of the grid as "rabbits" for the CMRA students. With the hp that bike throws down, it didn't take long for me to get away, and by turn 7 on the first lap, I *thought* I had a comfortable gap on anyone who may have chased. I was wrong. By turn 10 (the horseshoe), Jody came by me slideways, squirted out of that turn and took off! I caught up to him coming in to the chicane and he gapped me again coming on to the front straight. On the straight, he took the low line and I easily passed him and smoked in to turn 1/2. I thought that was the last I would see of him since the top speed was no match for the GSXR; I was wrong. Again, coming in to the horseshoe, Jody backs it in, passes me on the outside, and we dice up to the front straight.

Corner speed on that thing was no issue for him on that thing, it was completely stock (including street tires), and he could throw it any way he wanted.

On that second lap, my timer clicked off a 1:54, so my pace was pretty good (for me). Again on the straight, I passed Jody up and took turn 1/2 in my usual fashion- feathering the throttle in 5th gear, hitting wot at turn 2, grab 6 to turn 3, grab two downshifts and hook 'em up wheelie hill and hit the back section with some speed. Again, I hear Jody backing it in coming up behind me in the horseshoe, he comes in slideways around the outside, and squirts out to dice it up all the way to the front straight... again.

I think I was having a good time and was turning some good laps (for me), but I was having MORE fun watching him toss that bike around and doing whatever he wanted, wherever he wanted, and any part of the track!

I finally got a good enough gap on him that he didn't catch me again; my suspicion is that he just toned it down a bit and didn't chase any more. Normally with the mock races, we take it easy and let the students pass/ re-pass us to evaluate them. On this day, I was having so much fun dicing it up the Jody that we left the students (and the rest of the instructors) about a half track behind (to whoever was leading).

Mad respect for Jody, just because he's so talented anyway, but for sure I developed a huge respect for the little 'priller that makes as much hp as a stock SV and weighs half as much!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #14
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
working on a motoped

TOM,
AWESOME STORY! Now I'm going to have to get with Jody for some riding tips! I had a similar experience a few years ago with a guy on a CRF450 'tard. Not quite teh same caliber but similar passing straights vs. curves and I was on a 750 at the time. That was the first and only time I broke one minute at the track in Hawaii. It was a small track.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
TOM,
AWESOME STORY! Now I'm going to have to get with Jody for some riding tips! I had a similar experience a few years ago with a guy on a CRF450 'tard. Not quite teh same caliber but similar passing straights vs. curves and I was on a 750 at the time. That was the first and only time I broke one minute at the track in Hawaii. It was a small track.
I have never seen anyone ride one of those bikes like Jody. I'm sure it won't take Larry too long, but Jody owns all on that thing. He raced it at Pike's Peak and did really well until they had an engine problem (I think...).

Jody's usually at every LSTD, in February, we'll be at GSS, I'm sure he'll be there with the lil' 'Priller.

However nice those things are, I am certainly being tempted by the supermoto projects that are getting so popular again (not the dirt/ pavement supermotos, the ones like are posted in the first post).

I can't see buying a pre-manufactured supermoto like this one or the RSD bikes, but I can for sure see myself building one. I think I'd start off with the 'Zook DRZ though.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I have never seen anyone ride one of those bikes like Jody. I'm sure it won't take Larry too long, but Jody owns all on that thing. He raced it at Pike's Peak and did really well until they had an engine problem (I think...).

Jody's usually at every LSTD, in February, we'll be at GSS, I'm sure he'll be there with the lil' 'Priller.

However nice those things are, I am certainly being tempted by the supermoto projects that are getting so popular again (not the dirt/ pavement supermotos, the ones like are posted in the first post).

I can't see buying a pre-manufactured supermoto like this one or the RSD bikes, but I can for sure see myself building one. I think I'd start off with the 'Zook DRZ though.
One of the things that seem pricey on building a motard however is the braking systems. I think I may of found a good deal on wheels but haven't figured out what braking systems will mount without breaking the bank
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
One of the things that seem pricey on building a motard however is the braking systems. I think I may of found a good deal on wheels but haven't figured out what braking systems will mount without breaking the bank
Dude, stick with whatever stock wheels/ brakes go with the front end.

For example:
Purchase a DRZ
Get a complete GSXR front end
May possibly have to machine the stem on the lower triple, but likely, you'll only have to get the right size bearings.

I'd just bolt the complete GSXR front end on the bike. Worst case scenario would be having to purchase a custom lower triple from Attack or something. It could be pricey, but not as pricey as custom wheels!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #18
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Dude, stick with whatever stock wheels/ brakes go with the front end.

For example:
Purchase a DRZ
Get a complete GSXR front end
May possibly have to machine the stem on the lower triple, but likely, you'll only have to get the right size bearings.

I'd just bolt the complete GSXR front end on the bike. Worst case scenario would be having to purchase a custom lower triple from Attack or something. It could be pricey, but not as pricey as custom wheels!
but what if I go with a motard build?(Honda for the moment 2 mang!)
Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
but what if I go with a motard build?(Honda for the moment 2 mang!)
With a motard, just get the 17" hoops and spokes.

Go by Andy's shop and take a look at his supermotard. He'll be more than happy to give you a price list and tell you what you need to convert the bike. With the front, he used the stock Honda front end that came with the bike, and installed a CBR wheel (I think it's an F4 or F3 wheel).

Very likely, you'll only need a single disc brake due to the weight. However, getting a dual disc brake set-up is very do-able.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

brakes aren't that expensive BigC.

I did my whole conversion for $1000-ish.
Too bad I haven't really gotten to ride it.

but as Tom said, if you go with the single GP styled bike...i'd just use the complete front end. You may have to knock out a stem and have something pressed in, but it shouldn't be too hard to complete.

If I get rid of my 929, the GP single project would begin.

I am curious, why couldn't the stock suspension work?

Last edited by hotnanas; 12-11-2007 at 10:46 AM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement