MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
The next emergency vet is on Hwy249 and Cypresswood.
thats where we go (in emergancys) always done us right.

although $1200 for an emergancy c-section on my dog seems steep, i t don't think my kid cost that much........lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
parade laps obed Taking it to the Track 35 04-12-2012 09:48 AM
Bikini Parade JGrein05 Off Topic 1 03-10-2012 12:24 AM
PARADE TODAY? dotcom Events, Meets and Rides 4 11-24-2005 04:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #22
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Glennwood has an after hour emergency number that you can call. They live in the area and will come in for emergencies.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #23
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

although $1200 for an emergancy c-section on my dog seems steep, i t don't think my kid cost that much........lol
I have a diabetic cat and got to know them real well.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #24
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:

Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

glad ur dog is ok bro
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #26
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
So, I was wondering who's bright idea it was to throw a parade last night. On HWY 6 between 290 and around Clay. Ordinarily I would not be so frustrated but there was 7 lanes slammed shut, for spectators watching a few fire engines and a couple pf horses. Why am I so ? Because my little 12# dog got a peice of rawhide stuck in his throat, and started to choke. He couldn't breathe and we start hauling to the 24hr clinic to find the whole f#$&@ road packed with idiots. No "alternate route" signs, nothing telling me there was going to be a shutdown in the area, just lined up. If this was downtown I could get it. But way out here??????? WTF? I was furious, my girl was blowing air into his nose to breathe, a 3 min trip was taking 10 minutes, and I'm trying to move through traffic. I couldn't clear his throat, she's panicking and no one's moving. About 100 yards away I was going to jump out and run with him through traffic on foot and he coughed up a peice and we were able to clear it. Scared the f&%# out of both of us. I started thinking, what if other people needed something in an emergency? What if someone was having a heart attack and half the VFD was out dickin around? Who the F$#*'s idea was this? When I drive by this am there's nothing but trash, debris. How retarded. I'm trying to find out whose idea this was. Someone besides myself probably had bigger problems that were ignored.

plus a fuking million

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #27
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
Quote:
they saved you several hundred $ to the emergancy vet.........lol
I am sorry but.................

Glad your dog is ok.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

For future reference, you did the right thing by mouth-nose. If the dog wasn't actually choking (defined by NOT breathing), you did great with that. Chest compressions (or thrust) laterally, would be the next thing I tried. Likely, just like with a human, the pressure of the compression may be the best way to dislodge the obstruction.
A surgical airway or "tracheotomy" would be the last, last, last ditch effort if the dog wasn't breathing at all and after several attempts to clear with compressions and ventilations. Besides the fact that it's incredibly dangerous to attempt, you have to know the anatomy of the dog to make the incision through the cricoid membrane (if a dog has one... ?). Making an incision in the wrong place could cause more problems, but if it's the last, last, last, last ditch attempt, it may be worth it (if it works).

Glad everything worked out for you and your dog.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #29
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Thanks guys. I don't have the skills or dog anatomy knowledge to try the trech. But I've almost died before choking, so here's another question. Remember those metal litte grabber tools (picks up hard to reach screws) that has the arms that reach out when you push a button? LIke a little metal snake? Could that be used to clear an airway? Is there danger in pushing a hard small item further or will it clear a passage? The last time I was choking my girl couldn't do the heimlich (too weak. yeah, I was ) right, and as I laid down on the floor I'm pointing at 911 on the phone she's saying "what? you want what" me " I want a pizza dumbass CALL 911" just as I was passing out a little air came through and I eventually cleared it. So knowing she has short arms and sucks, other than self heimlich, can something like that snake or plastic tube be used to clear?

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks guys. I don't have the skills or dog anatomy knowledge to try the trech. But I've almost died before choking, so here's another question. Remember those metal litte grabber tools (picks up hard to reach screws) that has the arms that reach out when you push a button? LIke a little metal snake? Could that be used to clear an airway? Is there danger in pushing a hard small item further or will it clear a passage? The last time I was choking my girl couldn't do the heimlich (too weak. yeah, I was ) right, and as I laid down on the floor I'm pointing at 911 on the phone she's saying "what? you want what" me " I want a pizza dumbass CALL 911" just as I was passing out a little air came through and I eventually cleared it. So knowing she has short arms and sucks, other than self heimlich, can something like that snake or plastic tube be used to clear?
The "little grabbers" you're talking about are forceps. Some are curved, some are straight, and there's different sizes/ lengths. Chances are, if you are actually choking (not passing any air), it would be hard to imagine that you would be able to get to a tool like that and actually use it. Let alone have someone that would use it on you, especially if they wouldn't be able to even do a Heimlich. Heck, most folks won't even do CPR on their own family members- especially if they have had no training.

We use Magill Forceps as you are describing, but in conjunction with direct visualization using a laryngescope. I'd think it would be almost impossible to use forceps to extract a foreign object without direct visualization as you mention for the reasons you mention (could push it further down, trauma to the airway, etc). When a vascular area like your trachea or esophagus/ upper airway is traumatized, it tends to swell quickly (edema) which will cause even more issues.

The most effective methods are the most basic. Self Heimlich may the the only thing you can do at home for instance if there is a person with you who is unable to do it for you.

Most EMS systems are getting away from the "kamakazi airway" (surgical airways) and are training their personnel to use the basics long before they go to such maneuvers. Chest compressions/ abdominal thrusts, ventilations, direct visualization and object removal attempts well before you cut someone's neck. Of course, extreme events call for extreme measures, and each situation is unique.

Most "young" healthy adults will be able to clear a foreign object on their own. Most choking deaths occur with the elderly, followed by children/ babies.

The "kamakazi airway" maneuvers are reserved for such things as airway burns, trauma, and other instances where traditional intubation is not possible/ feasible. In over 20 years, I have never seen or performed one for someone who is choking.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 12-11-2007 at 09:09 AM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #31
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia View Post
He was trying to take the doggie to the emergency vet on Hwy6 by Kieth Harrow. The next emergency vet is on Hwy249 and Cypresswood. There is really no other way of getting there unless you go through the neighborhoods, but getting through there is another challenge since everyone else is trying to sneak around the parade too.

There is an Emergency Vet on I-10 by Mason Rd
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #32
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Thanks Tom that's priceless info. I'm making her go to another class, and I'm going to make sure I talk to the instructor and ask him to not let her pass unless he's 100%. and no more blowing her way to good grades, I'm gonna watch the final exam.
Oh, and I'm gonna make a dry run to the vet on 10 Swift, just so next time there's a parade I'm not panicking. Helps to have more than 1 just in case.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #33
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks Tom that's priceless info. I'm making her go to another class, and I'm going to make sure I talk to the instructor and ask him to not let her pass unless he's 100%. and no more blowing her way to good grades, I'm gonna watch the final exam.
Oh, and I'm gonna make a dry run to the vet on 10 Swift, just so next time there's a parade I'm not panicking. Helps to have more than 1 just in case.
Dude! Brutal!

While you're at the vet, ask them what they suggest if a similar situation should occur again. I'm sure they can give some insight on what to do with the dog in a choking emergency.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #34
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift E View Post
There is an Emergency Vet on I-10 by Mason Rd
Thanks. Is that on the southside of the freeway? Now that you mention it, I remember seeing something there.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #35
RinasDaddy
When in doubt, restart!

Bike(s):
10 Speed :(

wow close call!
RinasDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #36
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

I was wondering why I saw a fire engine from Fort Worth driving through Huntsville
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #37
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

And another Emercency Vet on I-10 and Blalock (same center as Carter's Country).

I brought my Golden Retriever there a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, she passed away of a cardiac arrest while they were trying to remove some fluid around her heart. It cost me $2,000.00, but I don't care... I tried to save her.

Glad your dog's OK.

Alpha-Tops-M-All
Alpha
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #38
RinasDaddy
When in doubt, restart!

Bike(s):
10 Speed :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
And another Emercency Vet on I-10 and Blalock (same center as Carter's Country).

I brought my Golden Retriever there a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, she passed away of a cardiac arrest while they were trying to remove some fluid around her heart. It cost me $2,000.00, but I don't care... I tried to save her.

Glad your dog's OK.

Alpha-Tops-M-All
Alpha
so the vets killed your dog? I guess it was made clear it may happen?
RinasDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #39
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinasDaddy View Post
so the vets killed your dog? I guess it was made clear it may happen?
Yeah, you gotta sign all these waivers and like that. You also sign this form whether you give them permission to give CPR or not, which makes it pretty clear that it could happen. They do give you the option ahead of time, with the cost estimate (low and high numbers), to sign off on as well. So you know ahead of time how much the gamble will cost you. I lost on this one.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #40
ls_dm
Still Goin...............

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

yeah that parade i got stuck in that too
ls_dm is offline   Reply With Quote