Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
TuonoTime

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
'10 CBR

Help understanding crash

I donít remember exactly what happened with my crash; I spoke with someone at the track afterwards but I was still pretty shook up and didnít really comprehend what he was telling me. Any information that anyone has that will help me figure out what I screwed up would be appreciated.

My recollection:
Just before the crash I scraped my knee and then something on the bike in a right hand turn, I think 17, but I still canít remember exactly were I was on the track. I do remember sliding and thinking I was going to low side. I pushed with my knee and thought I got things back under control. But just afterwards the bike bucked (HARD), Iím guessing I was spinning the back tire and chopped the throttle while a little sideways. I donít remember coming off the throttle at all, but guess I must have. Anyway, I remember having the right grip getting torn from my hand and looking down at the bike, then thinking wow, I wish this was a low side, and this is gonna hurt. Then nothing until I was stopped and taking inventory. When I opened my eyes, there were 5 or so guys standing over me.

Iím fine, nothing broken, just a little sore. The Tuono I think is fine, but I havenít spent any time taking inventory yet.

On the plus side, Larryís class is well worth the money, even if you only get half a day Ďcause youíre a dumb-a$$ and crash. Larry corrected my body position which made a tremendous difference. I had trouble incorporating turning my head with out trying to keep my head level with the track, but that is something that I think is going to be key to figure out next time. Trying to hold my head level with the track is keeping me from seeing as far up the track as I should.

Anyway, Larry in addition to having an incredible riding gift is also an excellent teacher. I never timed myself with a transponder at the track before, but guess I was running 2:15 or so prior to Saturday. By the third session on Saturday I ran a 1:58! Now I just need some more time with Larry so I can do it consistently without up!
TuonoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanting to get a better understanding lucki_supster General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 01-20-2015 07:04 AM
Understanding Thayleal grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 03-29-2013 02:22 PM
Understanding Quote viper15 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-20-2009 10:29 AM
Understanding engineers (if possible) gtdrivr Off Topic 12 01-29-2009 10:15 AM
Understanding Duty's CubanGIXXER Off Topic 8 07-31-2008 11:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
level5
moving chicane

I think Mike/04rsv(?) was behind you said he saw you touch the curbing and low sided. I was coming in T17 when I saw the crash but did not witness as how.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
TuonoTime

Bike(s):
'10 CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I think Mike/04rsv(?) was behind you said he saw you touch the curbing and low sided. I was coming in T17 when I saw the crash but did not witness as how.
It's still frigging blurry, but I swear I high sided! Thanks for the reply! I had thought I got in late, guess I got in early?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoTime View Post
Any information that anyone has that will help me figure out what I screwed up would be appreciated.
Ran out of talent?

I kid, I kid!

Crashes like yours can happen for a number of reasons, especially when you are "new" to the track. Things seem to happen so much faster when you haven't had many on-track crashes (even when you have sometimes they happen too fast to process).

Sounds like you may have rung your bell a bit too. Having headaches today or yesterday?

A big twin like the Tuono can spin up mid-corner very easily. The big torque engine and reasonable horsepower can spit you off easily with moderate control changes. If you did chop the throttle, and it seems the most likely of your recollections, it may induce a high-side, but could more likely have a dramatic engine brake effect and the rear would brake loose inducing a low-side. When that happened, you may have flipped up after your body hit "feeling" like a high-side, but the bike may not have actually tossed you as in traditional high-side events.

I'd wait to see what Mike said (if he was behind you), but it sounds very plausible that you spun up or engine braking caused the rear to step out causing a low-side with a violent impact of your body to the pavement. Did you see a lot of "ground/sky/ground/sky"?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Wrecks suck period, i have and mostly minor wrecks and 1 highside where I walked away pertty lucky. My highside was at oak hill I guess i ran out of talent because coming out of 3 my rear was sliding a little and i was doing good controlling it until it stepped out further then i though and i closed the throttle a little and spit me off. I am lucky i did no land on my shoulder and break my collar bone. Instead i landed on my knee/leg area and fractured the head of my fibula, it hurt like a but i was back on the bike in 3 weeks.

Hope you feel better, and learn something from your wreck. (not saying anything bad about your riding)
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that a high side didn't happen- it would be very easy to happen if you chopped the throttle- but just saying that a low-side shouldn't be ruled out 'cause that is just as possible.

Glad you're ok and trying to work it out!

Let me know if you want some help getting the Tuono together- unfortunately, I have some experience piecing the big Aprilias together...
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
TuonoTime

Bike(s):
'10 CBR

Thanks for the replies guys! Certainly, an issue with talent (lack of). Just looking to learn from my first crash. I did ring my bell pretty good. No headaches except a slight one about two hours after. Just really sore all over. I'm not ruling anything out. Look forward to hearing more from those who actually saw what happened. But any input is welcome. Saturday was my 4th since my first in May. I'm not looking to be a racer, just a competent rider.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoTime View Post
I'm not looking to be a racer, just a competent rider.
Good on ya! You're on the right track fer sher.

Don't get discouraged, lots of folks crash at the track. It's just the "right" place to do it if it happens, so it's all good.

Learning from it as you're doing is the best way to get better. Just don't be too surprised if even the eye witnesses don't recall what happened though, most of the time, that rider behind you is looking well ahead of you.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

TuonoTime,
I got ur PM. I'll PM you details or give you a call this afternoon.

I am not surprised you don't remember our discussion, it looked like you rung your bell pretty good. Glad you and the bike are doing pretty well. I was amazed at how well your bike looked on the trailer.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
TuonoTime

Bike(s):
'10 CBR

No headaches, but I still feel the effects...

The frame slider did it's job amazingly well! I've got some new trackday plastic, but I think all the hard parts are going to be ok. Need to check to make sure that replacing the clutch cover will take care of the oil leak.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
TuonoTime,
I got ur PM. I'll PM you details or give you a call this afternoon.

I am not surprised you don't remember our discussion, it looked like you rung your bell pretty good. Glad you and the bike are doing pretty well. I was amazed at how well your bike looked on the trailer.

Advertisement