MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM   #41
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGixer View Post
well ive run it by the wife and its ok only if i pay off my credit card bill first then i can splurge. only thing is i gotta find a place to assemble everything. What kind of experience do you need to have to assemble and install everthing?
you will need to do some research, proper tuning knowledge is your friend

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Turbo gsxr 750 Tuned sam_azzam Performance and Modifications 1 03-11-2013 04:26 AM
'06 GSXR 1000 Rear Seat on '07 GSXR 600? Triple T General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-18-2011 03:07 PM
05 GSXR 1000 gauge mount fit 06 GSXR 600? moose2590 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 11-11-2011 10:43 AM
My Turbo Gsxr Project! PimpDaub General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-05-2010 02:08 PM
Problem: Bike makes turbo spool sound.. but i have no turbo! JusAnotherTran How To's and Q & A's 30 10-08-2009 01:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #42
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

I was going to buy a track bike from Partick next year, but a turbo 600 is way more fun. no, I need both.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #43
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

how hard would it be to turbo a carb'd bike? i know that tuning would be much more exact with a FI bike, but I'm sure that people were throwing turbos on engines long before fuel injection
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #44
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacivic View Post
how hard would it be to turbo a carb'd bike? i know that tuning would be much more exact with a FI bike, but I'm sure that people were throwing turbos on engines long before fuel injection
my bike is carbed and turbo, its not any harder than anything else, just have to read up and learn how to tune.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #45
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

thanks for the answers scootertrash. did you build yours from groud up or did u just order a kit online?
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #46
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

mine was built by me in my garage. there were no kits available when I did this, in fact this was the first 04 and up XL to break the ignition woes and beat the computer at its own game with the help of Thunderheart programmable ignition systems.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #47
FasterFaster

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
the thread starter is asking for opinions based on fact about turbo powered bikes, you seem to have zero facts or real world experience with this subject. Why not let the folks with turbo's on their bikes explain and answer the questions he has.
There are a number of people on this forum with boosted bikes, I see no snail on yours.

ok there MR. expert sorry im not as expereinced as you but i dont recall the guy i was speaking with had a turbo bike either?? i make my comments on what i see and what i've been involved in. Which you clearly have not a dam clue about so instead of making other people look like they are inferior to your superb knowledge on turbo bikes how about you awnser his questions to the best of YOUR knowledge instead of telling me what i don't know.
FasterFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #48
FasterFaster

your comment was arogent and uncalled for.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #49
FasterFaster

personaly seen 2 freinds loop there bikes on turbo t3/t4 setups. that is why i stray people away.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #50
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterFaster View Post
your comment was arogent and uncalled for.

try re-reading your rambling spooge you've written , I simply stated that he was needing facts, not gathered assumptions from dust.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #51
90 5.0
frequent crasher

Bike(s):
98 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterFaster View Post
personaly seen 2 freinds loop there bikes on turbo t3/t4 setups. that is why i stray people away.
That has way more to do with rider error than the turbo

you know how many people loop 2 stroke dirt bikes when they first get on them, i guess people should steer away from them in your logic.
90 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #52
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years

Member Garage

well isnt it possible to fishtail the bike when going to curves when the boost kicks in at higher speeds?

i was riding today and was realizing that if i fishtail going through a turn, that could be some bad stuff...
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #53
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGixer View Post
well isnt it possible to fishtail the bike when going to curves when the boost kicks in at higher speeds?

i was riding today and was realizing that if i fishtail going through a turn, that could be some bad stuff...
boost comes on smooth, its not like hitting the button on nitrous, its instant and harsh power, the turbo is smooth and strong, your not gonna blip the wrist and lose it. if you think your that unsure, you definately do not need this mod.
I would have to recommend that you might stay on what you have for a while and learn to ride with confidence, get some track days in and master the bike, usually its not more horsepower that is needed to make a rider faster, its knowledge and practice and knowing the bike.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #54
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Don't waste the time or money turboing a 600.....Here is why:

1) It will cost you a minimum of $4k to do it(the kit you posted for $3k is only the turbo and header, thats only half of what you need). $4k will barely get you the minimum system that will still require a PCIII and a lot of tuning.

2) At best you will make 140-150hp, and as mentioned, the turbo on a 600 won't start making good boost until about 8k(using a small T3 turbo) so your bike will still be gutless until then. Even after its at full boost you will barely be matching a GSXR1000 at peak with much less everywhere else.

3) Turbo bikes are VERY finicky, especially stg 1 type kits with an FMU and PCIIIusb for fueling..>They require lots of tuning on the dyno are very inconsistant and the FMUs are very problematic. If you were to buy a Stg 2 kit with secondarie injectors and a fuel controller(piggyback ECM) it would be much more reliable and consistant, plus make more power but those kits start at $6k and go up.

4) Turbos love to melt pistons if everything is not 100% setup for boost. A 13-1 compression 600 would likely detonate itself in the first couple of passes unless you made sure the tune was dead on, the boost stayed at a low 6-7lbs(usually they creep on their own at higher rpms and thats when you fry stuff). You could run 50/50 race gas and pump gas to help it live but how practical is that?

I could go on and on for days as to why you shouldn't turbo a 600...>Basically you will be ruining the driveability of the bike, it won't be near as reliable and it will become a major money pit.

If you really want to get involved with a turbo for that bike, go here:

ww.rccturbos.com Talk to Richard and he will give you all the INs and OUTs of turboing. Stay away from those people you linked here.

As for power delivery of a turbo, they hit, they hit hard, My busa was pretty much useless with the stock swingarm in 1st and 2nd gear, actually sometimes 3rd it would still power wheelie. They are hard to ride in the twisties because when you dial in throttle, it starts to spool..... I can make full boost with mine just grabbing about half throttle and let it run up to about 7000rpms.... Its a blast... My biked was not as violent as the 600 in the video above but it was similar, and considering it was longer, heavier with highway gearing etc, it was pretty wild....But that 600 in the video probably had a built motor and a decent sized turbo, that was not 6-7lbs of boost I promise you.

Turbo bikes are freakin money pits....>The first $4500 you spend is only the beginning.....its all the accommodating mods, maintenance and rebuilds that add up..... I got $15k in my bike total not counting the cost of the bike. And its still a piece of ......BUT it hauls .

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs

Last edited by ZXALAN; 12-14-2007 at 01:50 PM.
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #55
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Oh and Mr Turbo is a hack, don't waste your money with him, his junk will melt your in no time....Yes he was good back in the day on carbed bikes and land speed bikes that only run wide open, but all his fuel injected stuff is junk.....just forget you heard about him..

Oh and Scooter Trash, your Sportster is pretty freakin sick dude! Nice work on the fabbing.... are you using a pitot tube for the carb to increase bowl pressure/fuel pressure?

Old 12-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #56
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

OK I stand corrected, it seems this kit:
http://www.turbobikeresearch.com/more.php?id=10029846&

Does have everything you need...>The only thing I don't see is the FMU. It is possible to run a small turbo with low boost without an FMU and all of the fueling be accomplished through mapping but you would AT LEAST need bigger injectors, even then I couldn't see it having enough fuel supply at only a stock 43psi. Most of the stuff on that kit above is pretty cheaply made and cheap looking but in theory, it would work. That turbo is TINY and I would think it would spool pretty quick, even on a 600 but it would run out of flow fast, If you gained 50hp from it, I would be very suprised. The turbo hangs pretty low and if it were any bigger, you would have oil return problems causing a smoking condition but the turbo is so small, the oil still has a pretty steep drop back to the pan. Personally I think that turbo they use is junk, thats why the kit is so cheap...Hit up Richard at RCC and do it right if you are gonna dive into it.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #57
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Don't waste the time or money turboing a 600.....Here is why:

1) It will cost you a minimum of $4k to do it(the kit you posted for $3k is only the turbo and header, thats only half of what you need). $4k will barely get you the minimum system that will still require a PCIII and a lot of tuning.

2) At best you will make 140-150hp, and as mentioned, the turbo on a 600 won't start making good boost until about 8k(using a small T3 turbo) so your bike will still be gutless until then. Even after its at full boost you will barely be matching a GSXR1000 at peak with much less everywhere else.

3) Turbo bikes are VERY finicky, especially stg 1 type kits with an FMU and PCIIIusb for fueling..>They require lots of tuning on the dyno are very inconsistant and the FMUs are very problematic. If you were to buy a Stg 2 kit with secondarie injectors and a fuel controller(piggyback ECM) it would be much more reliable and consistant, plus make more power but those kits start at $6k and go up.

4) Turbos love to melt pistons if everything is not 100% setup for boost. A 13-1 compression 600 would likely detonate itself in the first couple of passes unless you made sure the tune was dead on, the boost stayed at a low 6-7lbs(usually they creep on their own at higher rpms and thats when you fry stuff). You could run 50/50 race gas and pump gas to help it live but how practical is that?

I could go on and on for days as to why you shouldn't turbo a 600...>Basically you will be ruining the driveability of the bike, it won't be near as reliable and it will become a major money pit.

If you really want to get involved with a turbo for that bike, go here:

ww.rccturbos.com Talk to Richard and he will give you all the INs and OUTs of turboing. Stay away from those people you linked here.

As for power delivery of a turbo, they hit, they hit hard, My busa was pretty much useless with the stock swingarm in 1st and 2nd gear, actually sometimes 3rd it would still power wheelie. They are hard to ride in the twisties because when you dial in throttle, it starts to spool..... I can make full boost with mine just grabbing about half throttle and let it run up to about 7000rpms.... Its a blast... My biked was not as violent as the 600 in the video above but it was similar, and considering it was longer, heavier with highway gearing etc, it was pretty wild....But that 600 in the video probably had a built motor and a decent sized turbo, that was not 6-7lbs of boost I promise you.

Turbo bikes are freakin money pits....>The first $4500 you spend is only the beginning.....its all the accommodating mods, maintenance and rebuilds that add up..... I got $15k in my bike total not counting the cost of the bike. And its still a piece of ......BUT it hauls .
I agree with all of the above, especially the money pit. Not including the cost of the bike, my motor has 5k just in motor mods and I have about 5k in the turbo kit, I built it all myself and I've gone through 2 turbos and some changes to the set up over the 2 years of playing with it.
It is a true pain in the , but its still worth it when it makes the power it does and looks like it does. I seriously built it just to be different from all the other Harleys, I think I accomplished that.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #58
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Oh and Mr Turbo is a hack, don't waste your money with him, his junk will melt your in no time....Yes he was good back in the day on carbed bikes and land speed bikes that only run wide open, but all his fuel injected stuff is junk.....just forget you heard about him..

Oh and Scooter Trash, your Sportster is pretty freakin sick dude! Nice work on the fabbing.... are you using a pitot tube for the carb to increase bowl pressure/fuel pressure?
I am using a mikuni 42 carb, much bigger supply bowl and bigger petcock and fuel line.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
[/QUOTE]

Advertisement