MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #41
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
completely serious. why would that be a joke?
Because I'd like to see where it's all "very well documented", and if it is, what was done to correct speedo error. That's all.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joe Rocket Gear In Stock @ Motorcycles Unlimited, Lot's of Gear At Super Pricing!! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 7 10-06-2009 07:29 AM
Gear Vault(gear available to be borrowed) OMEGA Gear Talk 5 08-07-2009 11:15 AM
gear saved my like last night so people who dont wear gear TAKE A LOOK!!!!! dcm5586 General Discussion (Moto Related) 67 11-03-2008 07:50 PM
My Old Gear Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 07-06-2008 05:40 PM
mismatching gear / matching gear AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 03-09-2007 05:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #42
Racer
Window Washer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Nothing!!!! Sucks

Send a message via AIM to Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
seems like you already knew the answer... so what was the reason for the thread?
Actually, the day I started the thread, I went over to my brothers place and tried it out and it hit 106.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #43
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
read every review on any of them in any magazine in any language. go calculate the gear ratios. it's VERY well documented. and for the record, most modern sportbikes aren't 20% off. generally they're 6-10% off. and again, that's VERY well documented. even speedohealer will admit that.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #44
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I have a question for you 1000cc owners, can most new 1000' a 100mph first gear?
mine goes to 112 in 1st gear
kingralphthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #45
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
read every review on any of them in any magazine in any language. go calculate the gear ratios. it's VERY well documented. and for the record, most modern sportbikes aren't 20% off. generally they're 6-10% off. and again, that's VERY well documented. even speedohealer will admit that.
First, if you calculate gear ratios, it will give you what the gear should do- a gear calculator says my bike could do 200+mph, will it?

Second, each article also says "indicated" and speedo error is not factored in.

Third, speedo error is intrinsic to each bike. Not all of them are the same error, some are more, some are less.

Unless you have a speedohealer or some similar correction, 100mph indicated is not the actual speed, it can be a little as 80mph, or as much as 95. Error is always "to your favor", meaning that it will read slower than it shows. The faster you go, the more error there is too.

Ever watch some of those vids of folks at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on the front straight where they have the speedo in view? Notice how some of the top speeds are like 180- 190? With a radar gun at a TWS (Texas World Speedway) race weekend, during endurance and sprint races, the fastest riders were clocked on the front straight; almost all of the fastest guy will redline 6th gear on that straight. The fastest speed recorded was around 165mph.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #46
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
wrong tom. they all have very tall first gears to help with launching.
A tall gear does not help with launching - it hurts. If it helped you would drag race beginning in 6th (the tallest) gear.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #47
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
A tall gear does not help with launching - it hurts. If it helped you would drag race beginning in 6th (the tallest) gear.
well, when you have a short first gear and can't get on the the gas because the bike is trying to loop itself, a taller first gear does indeed help.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #48
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):

i have an 04 zx-10. with the stock gears AND A CALIBRATED SPEEDOHEALER, i will top out first gear at 101mph. with my -1/+2 combo i'm still hitting 84mph CALIBRATED. if you refuse to believe that the new literbikes can do 100mph in first, then that's your problem. i'm done arguing.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #49
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
i have an 04 zx-10. with the stock gears AND A CALIBRATED SPEEDOHEALER, i will top out first gear at 101mph. with my -1/+2 combo i'm still hitting 84mph CALIBRATED. if you refuse to believe that the new literbikes can do 100mph in first, then that's your problem. i'm done arguing.
Don't get upset, just asking questions- you're the one that said I was wrong.

If you re-read my post, you'll see the very first one where I say "it's possible".

Relax.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #50
Racer
Window Washer

Bike(s):
Nothing!!!! Sucks

Send a message via AIM to Racer
Heheheheh
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #51
MACK