MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #61
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
He's doing it at cruise, looks so easy...................
It's doing it at speed that I need to work on but thanks for that.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Counter Steering your bike Blanco General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 07-05-2012 11:42 AM
Is Counter-Steering Real? xtelevisionset General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-06-2012 09:16 PM
Counter Strike 1.6 tcmatt Off Topic 4 11-19-2006 07:03 PM
counter strike? bunxx Off Topic 31 07-12-2006 05:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #62
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Man, I don't think you need help with it judging just by the still shots you've shown of yourself IMHO.

Counter-steering is such a mindless, second nature kind of thing, there are probably many other technique type things that you could concentrate on the track with I bet.

$.02
Old 12-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #63
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Man, I don't think you need help with it judging just by the still shots you've shown of yourself IMHO.

Counter-steering is such a mindless, second nature kind of thing, there are probably many other technique type things that you could concentrate on the track with I bet.

$.02
Hiya TomLSTD,
Thanks but don’t be deceived,
You know how it is, come on,
You go to a trackday, you get some photo’s, you go to the next one and get some more, you go to another and more photo’s.
Then one day you spend a couple of hours sifting through them all until you find one that looks like your half trying !!!
The rest fill up the re-cycling bin because you look like your going to the store.
Don’t believe I’m the only one that does that ?? Am I ??

Quote:
The way I see it is this;
I can’t brake later than I do because I’m scared to, I’m at the edge of "my" comfort zone so to speak.
I can’t accelerate any harder or earlier than I do because I’m scared of high siding (again !!) even though I may realistically be a long way off the tyre letting go.
I’d like to go faster than I do and I reckon I can make up some time through chicanes especially, "if" I could get the hang of counter steering more than what comes naturally.
That’s all………………….
Old 12-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #64
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i keep hearing people talking about steering the bike, at the track, LEAN use your body weight in conjunction with steering and you will ride faster.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #65
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Take any bike for a spin on the highway. Try letting go of one bar. Now try a simple lane change , first with leaning your body. Then with pushing and pulling with only one hand. That will show you countersterring is how you turn. Leaning and body position is fine tuning. IMHO, Not understanding how to countersteer makes a rider a danger on the street and track.

There was an article on this in one of the cycle mags a couple of years back. Using handlebars bolted to the frame they showed that simply leaning the body or weighting pegs did almost nothing on a slalom course if the rider wasn't holding the handlebars at the same time. But one pinky finger of pressure to countersteer was almost as effective as using both arms and leaning.

Most peole don't realize that leaning actually forces your body to put opposite pressure on the bars to the direction of the turn, actually countersteering the bike. The motion comes kinda naturally so it isn't always understood.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #66
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Ooopa, I just watched the video above. I'm a dumbass.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #67
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Grinchy, still learning myself and being way below your level, I find this thread really interesting. For the quest of knowledge, I am trying to understand though.

I am trying to figure out if we have a turn here that is just like the turn you described having problems with. Except from swapping out of TWS (Texas World Speedway)' horseshoe 9 into the lefthander 10, I am not familiar with one. And that one is nowhere near as tight.

When TWS (Texas World Speedway) has the short course, that would be the closest as it changes those turns into a snake and a guy I know had to work real hard throwing his Gixxer1000 back and forth. He actually won that race that day and I remember asking him how he did it but don't remember the answer, it was a year ago. Next time I see him, I'll ask him again.

Maybe some other folks here remember the short course at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and how they handled those switchbacks or coming out of the horseshoe in general?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #68
hypertrophyy

Bike(s):
07 600rr track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Hiya TomLSTD,
Thanks but don’t be deceived,
You know how it is, come on,
You go to a trackday, you get some photo’s, you go to the next one and get some more, you go to another and more photo’s.
Then one day you spend a couple of hours sifting through them all until you find one that looks like your half trying !!!
The rest fill up the re-cycling bin because you look like your going to the store.
Don’t believe I’m the only one that does that ?? Am I ??

The way I see it is this;
I can’t brake later than I do because I’m scared to, I’m at the edge of "my" comfort zone so to speak.
I can’t accelerate any harder or earlier than I do because I’m scared of high siding (again !!) even though I may realistically be a long way off the tyre letting go.
I’d like to go faster than I do and I reckon I can make up some time through chicanes especially, "if" I could get the hang of counter steering more than what comes naturally.
That’s all………………….
I think this might have already been mentioned in this thread. You will get more from this book than chatting on line here. Almost everybody that has a track bike has heard of it. Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding is the best book I know of on sport riding techniques and beginners. There are more out there but thats a great one for starters.

Last edited by hypertrophyy; 12-08-2007 at 03:18 PM.
hypertrophyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #69
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc&feature=related

THIS IS A SIMPLE EXP. GOOD VIDEO!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #70
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #71
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Real men steer with the rear tire...

mick slide

Seriously though... counter steering is a natural process and should occur on its own without any thought. But if you ride with your arms locked and straight, it makes it much more difficult... as will an iron grip on the bars.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:32 AM   #72
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Thanks for your input everybody.

Quote:
I think this might have already been mentioned in this thread. You will get more from this book than chatting on line here. Almost everybody that has a track bike has heard of it. Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding is the best book I know of on sport riding techniques and beginners. There are more out there but thats a great one for starters.
Thanks, perhaps one to try.
I watched one of his videos a while back and maybe I just have a short span of attention but I have to be honest and say it bored me sh#tless !!
Hopefully the book won’t !!

Quote:
THIS IS A SIMPLE EXP. GOOD VIDEO!
Very good

Quote:
Seriously though... counter steering is a natural process and should occur on its own without any thought. But if you ride with your arms locked and straight, it makes it much more difficult... as will an iron grip on the bars.
I get a lot of arm pump which I put down to being unfit but maybe has more to do with the above.

Ahhh, Mighty Mick, is he pushing on that right bar there ????????
Here’s another “real man” at work,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jbuqt1Zq-ds&feature=related
What can you say !!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #73
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

oh yeah
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength-

Last edited by NoFear; 01-08-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #74
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

THIS ^ IS AT THE EXTREAM END OF THE SPECTROM!!!!!!!!

BUT YES COUNTERSTEARING ALL THE SAME!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #75
ange062

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
Watch Hayden back it in on the street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHC8HQyKgE
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #76
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
THIS ^ IS AT THE EXTREAM END OF THE SPECTROM!!!!!!!!

BUT YES COUNTERSTEARING ALL THE SAME!

actually,
I don't think thats countersteering at all. Their really just steering with the rear mostly, or drifting.
Like others have said, countersteering is when you push the bars one direction to make the bike fall the opposite direction, like into a turn.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #77
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
actually,
I don't think thats countersteering at all. Their really just steering with the rear mostly, or drifting.
Like others have said, countersteering is when you push the bars one direction to make the bike fall the opposite direction, like into a turn.
look at the bike the tire it pointed 1 way to allow the bike to lean in the other direction in order to turn Get it see it? don't let the Dirt Surface confuse you
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #78
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
look at the bike the tire it pointed 1 way to allow the bike to lean in the other direction in order to turn Get it see it? don't let the Dirt Surface confuse you
Countersteering is pointing the bars in the opposite direction that you are looking to go, ie the outside of the turn, to cause the initial change in direction. It's not something that a normal street rider would do throughout the entire turn with the back wheel spinning. That guy has his front wheel pointed in the direction he wants to go and is using the back to square off the turn. Backing it in/drifting and countersteering aren't the same thing.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #79
NoFear
Busa Chairman of Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Countersteering is pointing the bars in the opposite direction that you are looking to go, ie the outside of the turn, to cause the initial change in direction. It's not something that a normal street rider would do throughout the entire turn with the back wheel spinning. That guy has his front wheel pointed in the direction he wants to go and is using the back to square off the turn. Backing it in/drifting and countersteering aren't the same thing.
But its Lunch time for me

Last edited by NoFear; 01-08-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #80
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Watch Hayden back it in on the street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHC8HQyKgE
I had that approach to the corner with the knee down shot as my screen saver for ages...... awesome bike control but check out Ruben Xaus right at the end of this clip, he takes it to another level...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9pV...eature=related
How COOL ????

Advertisement