MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Hog Hunting?

This is a little weird for me to post on Motohouston, but I am at a dead end.

I keep hearing about a mysterious sport known as hog hunting. Though I quest to join the adventure, I am unable to secure a spot on a hunt. My buddies all seem to know someone who knows someone who has a piece of land that runs wild and free with just too many darn mean nasty hogs ripe for shooting. Occasionally my friends get to go and help with the slaughter, but never seem to remember how they got there, who they went with, r if they can go back. Alas, I am unable to ever actually meet or talk to anyone that has land with hogs that need a killin. My trusty SKS wispered in my ear that it is itching to try out the new red eye scope and 20 round mags I picked up this year.

Seriously, If anyone knows where me and a buddy might get in on a hog hunt please let me know. I'll drive, pay for gas, buy beer or bullets or both, whatever. I just have to see this for myself.

Peter
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
checkout this Hog! setfast General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-09-2010 08:39 AM
Hog Hunting , WTF Jay Off Topic 20 10-01-2009 01:21 PM
Online 'hunting'... (hunting sims) Ulric Off Topic 0 04-27-2009 05:15 PM
Hog Hunting cogs69 Off Topic 0 12-21-2007 09:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

It's true....but unless you have land or know someone with land you'll be paying to sit by a feeder and shoot them. Whatever you end up deciding let me know and I'll tag along and bring a couple cool guns.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I'll keep you in the loop. I thought I had one lined out through our TKD instructor, but he got the invite for just himself.

This to me is crazy. i get invited to go deer huunting a couple of times a season. Then I see on the news that there are like 52 million hogs running out of control that need to be killed. Still, no one knows where to go.

I even put a feeder near my house on my 8 acres in Smithville. There is just a big pile of corn under the feeder and no signs of hog, deer, or even racoon this year.....
Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 AM   #4
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I have a guide near corpus that charges $100 per day with no limit. I know its not free but its a decent price, and way cheaper than deer hunting.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
dirtyrice411
Staying Stoned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 R1 Limited Edition.

Send a message via AIM to dirtyrice411
I have a buddy that lives in SA and he has a ranch not toooo toooo far out from that area. he goes and kills hogs all the time. maybe i can get you a hook up on going out there and having fun. No guarantee of hogs, but he killed a 300 lb hog last week so there has to be something worth shooting at. im pretty sure he would go for it since your gonna buy his ammo for the weekend. send me pm with your number and we can meet up. based on that I'll call my friend for you. (sorry gotta make sure your cool for myself before i send you out to one of my close friends place.)
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

I have a place for hog hunting. I have already had a couple people show interest on here and I will line something up as soon as I get it going a little better.

We went a few weeks ago for the first time on my property. There are definetely hogs out there, but we haven't set up a feeder yet. This is the first time I had ever hog hunted myself, and let me tell you about it.

First off, we had been laying out corn for about a week. Beginning of the week (Monday night), the hogs ate all the corn. More corn was laid out on Wednesday, and the place was left alone till I got in town on Friday (day after Thanksgiving). My sister's BF had never hunted before for anything and wanted to be included on this hunt. Reluctantly we said ok. I took the new guy out there early in the morning on Friday to put out some hog wild where they had been before. The corn was still out there untouched from Wednesday. We put out some more corn in other areas that I knew of, as I know the ranch the best. Well my buddy Billy (big time hunter, has hunted hogs many times with dogs and spotlighting) and I got ready to head out there at 5PM as the sun was going down. The new guy was with my sister and couldn't leave yet and said he would meet us out there. When Billy and I get out there, we sit quietly for an hour to make sure things settle down. The main spot was only 300yds from our entrance into the ranch. We decide not to wait any longer. We gear up, get walking 50ft from the truck and the phone rings. (, thought we turned the ringer off) New guy is 5 minutes away. "Ok cross the first cattle gaurd, take a left, stop at the 2nd cattle guard, you will see our truck ahead of you and walk" We hear him coming, first cattle guard, "he isn't slowing down Billy, he is going to go right over it...." sure enough flies over the second one. Parks next to our truck and SLAMS the door. You idiot. He gets out, and in the moonlight it looks like he is wearing WHITE jeans. It is a bright moon out. You have got to be kidding me? Billy and I are in dark jeans and camo. We hand him the spotlight. There is no way we are handing this guy a rifle. Well we are in position maybe 20 minutes and we start hearing rustling in the woods. Billy is to my right with my .223. I'm in the middle with my Sendero .25-06, and New Guy (Whit) is on my left. There are two clearings. Straight ahead where all the feed and hog wild is, and to my left was a drive through the trees that we walked in on. The noise is coming through the trees in between the two where there is a mud hole. "Get ready guys" We hear a LOUD snort to our left. There are two hogs 65-70 pounds over there with a load in the woods. Billy tells Whit "Shine LEFT" We are both aiming that way and we get a blinding light, he shined straight at the woods towards the right. "Swing left Swing LEFT" he swings the light left passed the clearing to the woods behind us. "IN THE CLEARING YOU F'ing IDIOT" Just as he does that we see the end of both hogs entering the bushes. This is all a matter of about 10 seconds time. The stampeded is loud as the all haul A$$ out of there. Quite a thrill. My first hog hunt, saw 2 heard at least 8-10. No kills. Well we hunted all the other spots and it was dead. Even tried calling coyotes we could hear about 200yds out and couldn't get them to come in. What a night. We pull out the beer cooler, head to the tank to start a fire. It starts raining, my lighter ran out of fluid, no dice. To the bar we go. Lets just say the guy got enough ragging from us I don't think he will ever ask to hunt with us again.

Next night, no way we are asking Whit to go. Get all geared up knowing the place has been compromised and there is no way we are going to see hogs. Get in the truck "Billy where is the spotlight" Oh no, can't find it. Search the house, both trucks, nothing to be found. Oh well we have a high powered mag light and again the moon is strong. We have good enough scopes that technically we dont HAVE to have a spotlight. Go hunt for a couple hours. My brother is the light man this time. Nothing to be seen. It poured Friday night and all day Saturday. Nearly get stuck trying to get there, but we decide to see if the dumba$$ left the light at the campfire spot. Sure enough, sitting out in the cold rain is the spotlight. Luckily it works just fine.

Sorry, had to share my story with you guys. My ranch is in West Point, half way between Smithville and La Grange. If I can get things a little better set up out there, I will send out a couple invites. I know I have a couple people that have already requested firsts on PM from the last time I talked about it, but I am sure I can get a few hunts together with a few people eventually. We have a feeder we will be putting up this weekend. That and we need to get a better varmint call. We were playing a cassette in my white truck which isn't the best scenario for a bright moon.

Last edited by cogs69; 12-05-2007 at 08:16 AM.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Dirty rice, anytime you want me to buy your lunch, lets meet up. I'm near 288 and 610 south so I can get to p-land in a snap. Just so you know, I'm cool.... Maybe a little goofy and nerdy at times. But I certainly wouldn't do anything to make your buddy hate you.

Cogs, you and I should meet up in Smivvel some weekend. I have a small house that sleeps 8. My brother and I restored it in 1999 when he lived there, in Houston. I moved the house from the heights in Houston to S-ville and I'm about 75% finished restoring it after the move and improving the land. All I really need is to put in a proper road, but you can drive a car tot he house with no drama cause it's so rocky there. It's a nice place for a bonfire, beer, music, just chillin. My place is about 2 miles north from Buescher SP, it's just a few acres, but I have access to 125 acres and can hop a fence to Rocky Hill Ranch where my buddy runs all the cattle on 1400 acres. But I've never seen a hog out there, just deer. This winter I was gonna try to do the coyote thing again from the truck with a tape. There is a big 10 acre clearing and many times when we ride dirt bikes out there you'll see a coyote or deer on the perimeter make a dash into the deep woods. And the guy who owns it has set up a few feeders near his ponds. Of course, we'd have permission to hunt there.

Last time I was sleeping over at my dad's friend's place in LaGrange I heard a huge pack in the yard at 2 am. If it wasn't a church goer's weekend at the ranch I'd have surely gotten up.

Cogs, Your story reminds me of my first Elk hunting trip to Montana. We were all scented over, chasing a small herd uphill. Bugle out and another hunter from behid starts bugling like a moron over and over again. We are really annoyed until the other "hunter" bursts on the scene. He's a really randy single male elk just looking for some mid morning tail. We all crouch behind a little berm. He heads in the opposite direction down a small logging path. My buddy gives a little distressed cow call, just once, and that male jumps over the berm and almost onto us, about 15 yards away. We sit, and start to slowly draw our bows back. Our friend, just along for the experience, loses his balance while crouched and falls over onto a small dead tree. Elk hauls . Rustle is his new nickname, the no arms no legs boy in a pile of leaves. What would have been really cool was we were 50 feet off a logging road that we could have driven our truck almost to where we would have shot him. Uuuugh!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Fuzzy018

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2009 HD Dyna - Super Glide

I though you meant "slump buster" hog hunting at first. You know at a bar...
Fuzzy018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
Dirty rice, anytime you want me to buy your lunch, lets meet up. I'm near 288 and 610 south so I can get to p-land in a snap. Just so you know, I'm cool.... Maybe a little goofy and nerdy at times. But I certainly wouldn't do anything to make your buddy hate you.

Cogs, you and I should meet up in Smivvel some weekend. I have a small house that sleeps 8. My brother and I restored it in 1999 when he lived there, in Houston. I moved the house from the heights in Houston to S-ville and I'm about 75% finished restoring it after the move and improving the land. All I really need is to put in a proper road, but you can drive a car tot he house with no drama cause it's so rocky there. It's a nice place for a bonfire, beer, music, just chillin. My place is about 2 miles north from Buescher SP, it's just a few acres, but I have access to 125 acres and can hop a fence to Rocky Hill Ranch where my buddy runs all the cattle on 1400 acres. But I've never seen a hog out there, just deer. This winter I was gonna try to do the coyote thing again from the truck with a tape. There is a big 10 acre clearing and many times when we ride dirt bikes out there you'll see a coyote or deer on the perimeter make a dash into the deep woods. And the guy who owns it has set up a few feeders near his ponds. Of course, we'd have permission to hunt there.

Last time I was sleeping over at my dad's friend's place in LaGrange I heard a huge pack in the yard at 2 am. If it wasn't a church goer's weekend at the ranch I'd have surely gotten up.

Cogs, Your story reminds me of my first Elk hunting trip to Montana. We were all scented over, chasing a small herd uphill. Bugle out and another hunter from behid starts bugling like a moron over and over again. We are really annoyed until the other "hunter" bursts on the scene. He's a really randy single male elk just looking for some mid morning tail. We all crouch behind a little berm. He heads in the opposite direction down a small logging path. My buddy gives a little distressed cow call, just once, and that male jumps over the berm and almost onto us, about 15 yards away. We sit, and start to slowly draw our bows back. Our friend, just along for the experience, loses his balance while crouched and falls over onto a small dead tree. Elk hauls . Rustle is his new nickname, the no arms no legs boy in a pile of leaves. What would have been really cool was we were 50 feet off a logging road that we could have driven our truck almost to where we would have shot him. Uuuugh!
Yea we definetely need to get together. Both our places are close enough to be able to hunt them both if we wanted. Sounds like you got yourself a nice little get away. I think my wife is getting me http://www.gofoxpro.com/product_416lr.php that for christmas which blows away the tape in the truck scenario. I won't mind using that as much as possible either. Not to mention I have a sweet kimber .204 on the way that will need some shots put through it.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
SugarDaddy
Sugz Darko....

Send a message via Yahoo to SugarDaddy
cogs...some fkn cliffs would help....lol
SugarDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

haha, yea, i clicked and sent in a hurry, it was lunch time
Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #12
Cherub
FTP

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
man ive never been hunting and would love to go, wish my pops was into it.

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Careful, its addicting and expensive. My wife of all people got me into it, and since I have met her I have bought 6 rifles in three years not to mention all the goodies that go with them. Scopes, cases, cleaning kits, camo, Ammo (which I buy that expensive BST) feeders, feed, calls, etc. Lol, she created a monster.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
t.dubya
Senor Member

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
k7 gsxr 600 (now dead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
This is a little weird for me to post on Motohouston, but I am at a dead end.

I keep hearing about a mysterious sport known as hog hunting. Though I quest to join the adventure, I am unable to secure a spot on a hunt. My buddies all seem to know someone who knows someone who has a piece of land that runs wild and free with just too many darn mean nasty hogs ripe for shooting. Occasionally my friends get to go and help with the slaughter, but never seem to remember how they got there, who they went with, r if they can go back. Alas, I am unable to ever actually meet or talk to anyone that has land with hogs that need a killin. My trusty SKS wispered in my ear that it is itching to try out the new red eye scope and 20 round mags I picked up this year.

Seriously, If anyone knows where me and a buddy might get in on a hog hunt please let me know. I'll drive, pay for gas, buy beer or bullets or both, whatever. I just have to see this for myself.

Peter
real men do it with dogs and rope!
t.dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Pelican Island is where the action is at for hogs...

I know some guys who go out there all the time.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #16
Whorenet
Banned

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #17
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet View Post
and i thought this thread would be about fat chicks.....lol
You sir, are an idiot!!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
im goin hog hunting this weekend actually. id send out invites it was my property...ill send pics and a detail story when i get back
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

good luck, hope you have a better hunt than i did
Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
hardcoresteve