MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #101
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettech01 View Post
You can only carry with a CHL or you must follow all of the Texas laws for Legal transport of firearms either in an Auto or on a M/C, if I am not mistaken, it is security of the firearm "SEPERATE" from the ammunition with both in secure container's!

I figure if you are old enough and have no past criminal record then getting a CHL is a no brainer, otherwise you are asking for trouble from a LEO when stopped and you do not have the proper documentation for the way you are "carrying"
Did you miss the laws that were posted?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrying work clothes on bike hoss1158 General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 09-27-2012 10:52 AM
Need a hand towing/carrying a bike, USMC083 Off Topic 2 04-06-2012 01:54 PM
Carrying in your vehicle & carrying on your motorcycle F4injected Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 12 10-25-2011 01:26 AM
Carrying while riding??? Help please. rugbystar13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 02-26-2009 10:16 PM
FIREARM REFRESHER Homebrew Off Topic 6 04-26-2007 08:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #102
jettech01
Motorcyle Rider not owner

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post

My Bad........
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #103
jettech01

Quote:

But those statutes are still very vague and understood in many different veins by different LEO's, It was discussed in depth in the CHL class I attended. I still feel the best way to deal with the possibility of a problem with a LEO with regards to "carrying" a gun.

If you have a CHL then you are legal with no questions.

If you want to be involved with "possible" legal questions then use the statute you posted.

What I am saying is this, everyone can read the statute, but there are so many "clarifing" points that do not specifically apply, I mean WORD for WORD................. "you can carry a loaded firearm on a motorcycle"............... is NOT in the statute, that is the "question", and that "could" cause a LEO to issue the ticket, and say "let the attorneys fight it out". And that can cost a small fortune.

I say get a CHL and be done with it.

Last edited by jettech01; 12-05-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #104
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
wow I cant believe this is still ongoing... I haven't read through everything but I think some people are mixing in carrying it on you physically vs carrying it with you like in the car and/or bike(concealed of course).

oh and after I went home I looked at the pricing and its a flat $140 for application plus whatever the course charges where you're taking it at. So you're looking to start around $250 if you find someone teaching in the $100-$110 range. Cheapest I saw was about $115, but I didnt spend too much time looking.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."

Last edited by Capafool; 12-05-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #105
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

thus missing the point of the thread... i originally asked if one can carry on a motorcycle, because im not able to get a chl.... true the best thing would be to get a chl, and i plan on doing so once i can get my deffered felony exponged in 4 more years. but right now i can legally own a firearm, i just cant get a chl, so what are my options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettech01 View Post
But those statutes are still very vague and understood in many different veins by different LEO's, It was discussed in depth in the CHL class I attended. I still feel the best way to deal with the possibility of a problem with a LEO with regards to "carrying" a gun.

If you have a CHL then you are legal with no questions.

If you want to be involved with "possible" legal questions then use the statute you posted.

What I am saying is this, everyone can read the statute, but there are so many "clarifing" points that do not specifically apply, I mean WORD for WORD................. "you can carry a loaded firearm on a motorcycle"............... is NOT in the statute, that is the "question", and that "could" cause a LEO to issue the ticket, and say "let the attorneys fight it out". And that can cost a small fortune.

I say get a CHL and be done with it.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #106
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
thus missing the point of the thread... i originally asked if one can carry on a motorcycle, because im not able to get a chl.... true the best thing would be to get a chl, and i plan on doing so once i can get my deffered felony exponged in 4 more years. but right now i can legally own a firearm, i just cant get a chl, so what are my options...
Did you read the law I posted?

Short review. Yes you can carry it but, does that mean you will beat the ride? Not exactly.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #107
jettech01

Quote:

Short review. Yes you can carry it but, does that mean you will beat the ride? Not exactly.

+1
Old 12-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #108
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
Traveling is defined, and a motorcycle is a motor vehicle. As long as the weapon is concealed then you are fine. But since you have a felony read this if you haven't already. ß 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM.
its deffered, therefore it is dismissed as of completion of probation... im legal to buy and own a gun, i just have to wait 5 years to get a chl after completion of probation... ive already researched it to death.

Quote:

yes, i posted that cause everyone is saying... "ahhhh, just get a chl" lol
Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #109
Htown1000
Bleed the Block

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Red and Black Gixxer 1000

Quote:
A CHL places an extra burden of obligation that some may choose to not under take and if those obligations are ingnored you may face stiffer penalties.
moody,

you are exactly right!!! With a Chl you are far more responsible than without and if you dont know the penal code for those that have a Chl you will have more issues with the law than you would have had without it.. This is why I never got the Chl even though i own a few different firearms..
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #110
Duck84
bikeless....at the moment

Bike(s):
03 600rr--> sold

ok i got lost....so a bike is legal...traveling is legal.....ok....what about when u get where ur going.....ur gonna leave the gun in the bike???? then u need the chl anyways...right....or wrong???
Duck84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #111
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
im legal to buy and own a gun
How sure are you? If you own handguns I would reccommend coming by a gun shop(mine or others) and having your name run. If you get denied then it is a felony for you to own guns.

~Keith
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #112
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
How sure are you? If you own handguns I would reccommend coming by a gun shop(mine or others) and having your name run. If you get denied then it is a felony for you to own guns.

~Keith
i called NICS hotline and talked to a rep there... this is where i got my info about owning and buying a firearm.

n e ways u got pm

Advertisement