MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #41
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
so i guess you can carry the handgun concealed on you when you are in a car, or on your bike.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrying work clothes on bike hoss1158 General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 09-27-2012 10:52 AM
Need a hand towing/carrying a bike, USMC083 Off Topic 2 04-06-2012 01:54 PM
Carrying in your vehicle & carrying on your motorcycle F4injected Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 12 10-25-2011 01:26 AM
Carrying while riding??? Help please. rugbystar13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 02-26-2009 10:16 PM
FIREARM REFRESHER Homebrew Off Topic 6 04-26-2007 08:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #42
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Since when in Texas did long guns have to be concealed?
I just started reading this thread, this is my thoughts exactly. I have always had guns in my rear window. Redneck . Why couldn't a shotgun be carried on a bike like you would a horse? Now driving around with it loaded in your hand may be a problem. But I can't imagine there being a problem with it mounted on the side like you would on a horse.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #43
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Another thing that is good to point out is that if you are going to take out your gun you better use it. If you do shoot, shoot to kill, not to injure. The law is picky about this stuff, you have more chance of getting into trouble if you shoot someone with a bean bag out of a shotgun than if you kill them with buckshot. If you pull a gun on someone w/o using it, it is a class A(don't quote the class) misdemeanor in Texas(I'm sure there are circumstances where you could pull a gun on someone about to cause you harm and they run off and you wouldn't get into trouble) but the point is you can't just pull a gun on people all the time as a deterrent, you must act as if you aren't carrying up until the gun is actually NEEDED.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #44
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Another thing that is good to point out is that if you are going to take out your gun you better use it. If you do shoot, shoot to kill, not to injure. The law is picky about this stuff, you have more chance of getting into trouble if you shoot someone with a bean bag out of a shotgun than if you kill them with buckshot. If you pull a gun on someone w/o using it, it is a class A(don't quote the class) misdemeanor in Texas(I'm sure there are circumstances where you could pull a gun on someone about to cause you harm and they run off and you wouldn't get into trouble) but the point is you can't just pull a gun on people all the time as a deterrent, you must act as if you aren't carrying up until the gun is actually NEEDED.
true, ive heard of people getting into trouble because they pull a gun on someone about to cause harm, or pursue a criminal act. than the criminal turns around and says they werent engaged in criminal activity and they have basis to sue, and get out of criminal charges.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #45
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
so i guess you can carry the handgun concealed on you when you are in a car, or on your bike.
read the doc carefully... The only time it's ok to do so WITHOUT a CHL is if you're TRAVELING. Going to the grocery store is not traveling.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #46
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool View Post
read the doc carefully... The only time it's ok to do so WITHOUT a CHL is if you're TRAVELING. Going to the grocery store is not traveling.
Ummmm.....no. Study the laws...then re-try
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #47
MACK
I'm voice activated

Bike(s):
'03 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade
'03 Yamaha Zuma 50
'03 Hoe owne 24...biach
and your maum'z!!!

Member Garage

Quote:
Since when in Texas did long guns have to be concealed?
that was a reply to having a shotgun on the side of a motorcycle. can't do that.
MACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #48
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Ummmm.....no. Study the laws...then re-try
re-try what?
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #49
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
The only time it's ok to do so WITHOUT a CHL is if you're TRAVELING. Going to the grocery store is not traveling.

The point was that this is totally untrue, so your advice was neither intelligent nor helpful. Not trying to bash, just lots of people here need to re-read the gun laws before they offer up their advice.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #50
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACK954 View Post
that was a reply to having a shotgun on the side of a motorcycle. can't do that.
Why not? I could walk around my town with one if I wanted to...loaded too. I'm not saying I would advise riding with a shotgun, but where in the law does it say you can't? Are you saying that because logically you would think it is illegal, or can you show me where it says it's illegal?

I honestly don't know whether it is or not, but I'm very interested to find out what they could possibly charge you with if it isn't
Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #51
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
re-try what?
your comprehension of the law is flawed.

the new text states:

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a
Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance
regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as
defined by Section 71.01.

these are the only stipulations to carrying in your vehicle
Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #52
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
The point was that this is totally untrue, so your advice was neither intelligent nor helpful. Not trying to bash, just lots of people here need to re-read the gun laws before they offer up their advice.
Hence the reason I posted the link with the direct bill. Explaining it so you an everyone interested can read...

and what I wrote about the traveling, yeah there's cases when it's ok, and I wasn't clear enough about it, so that line was my bad for not being specific.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46

Last edited by Capafool; 12-04-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #53
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
re-try what?
Legislative Session: 80(R)

House Bill 1815
House Author: Isett, Carl et al.

Effective: 9-1-07
Senate Sponsor: Hinojosa

House Bill 1815 amends the Penal Code to modify the conduct that constitutes the offense of unlawful carrying of a weapon to exclude a person carrying a handgun, illegal knife, or club on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control or inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control. The bill makes it an offense to intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carry a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control if the handgun is in plain view or the person is engaged in certain criminal activity, is prohibited from possessing a firearm, or is a member of a criminal street gang. The bill deletes provisions that made the prohibitions under the offense of unlawful carrying of a weapon inapplicable to certain persons, including a person on the person's own premises or on premises under the person's control.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #54
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
That was the previous law. After the change, and as far as I know, we can now carry in our vehicles, at any time, so long as it is not visible. The "traveling" clause was too vague.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #55
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

This discussion comes up way to often. You guys need to get a lawyer and discuss your options.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #56
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Hence the reason I posted the link with the direct bill. Explaining it so you an everyone interested can read...

and what I wrote about the traveling, yeah there's cases when it's ok, and I wasn't clear enough about it, so that line was my bad for not being specific.
good work on the link though bro
Old 12-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #57
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Member Garage

<---everything everyone else said

Last edited by a forum moderator; 12-04-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: playing nice.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #58
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

lol, na no sarcasm... i was too lazy to google it, so i give him props for spending the time to find the "actual amended text".
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #59
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

i need to do some actual work today and gtfo this forum... lol
Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #60
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Legislative Session: 79(R)

House Bill 823
House Author: Keel et al.

Effective: 9-1-05
Senate Sponsor: Hinojosa et al.

The law provides that the offense of unlawful carrying of a weapon is not applicable to a person who is traveling. House Bill 823 amends the Penal Code to clarify that, for this purpose, a person is presumed to be traveling if the person is in a private motor vehicle, is not otherwise engaged in criminal activity other than certain traffic offenses, is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, is not a member of a criminal street gang, and is not carrying a handgun in plain view. The bill also provides evidentiary instructions relating to any penal law presumption in favor of a defendant with respect to any fact.

Advertisement