MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #21
Whorenet
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
cbr600, cbrxx 1100 blackbird, kazuma 110 derty, springer forked 1/2 chopper...more to come

User is banned

Whorenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike doesnt TURN ON! Please Help!!! phani87 How To's and Q & A's 26 06-19-2015 06:50 AM
Bike doesnt have title can I get paper plates?? gsxrk7 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 01-12-2012 09:38 PM
Bike doesnt want to start please help LuvBoost General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-22-2011 03:05 PM
guess who's bike got jack Badzx14r Off Topic 73 09-10-2010 01:11 PM
ZX14 Chaining the chain Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-24-2010 10:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #22
issanni
assfault

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via MSN to issanni Send a message via Yahoo to issanni
full coverage insurance.......

I wonder how cables hold up? I have a braided/twisted big ole fat cable lock that I use sometimes. I like it cause it's lighter to carry around than a chain, but I don't really know how hard it would be to cut.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #23
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Considering that a lot of thieves are now using cordless Dremels instead of the not so inconspicuous bold cutters. Best not to leave your bike anywhere you cannot have an eye on it....
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
Considering that a lot of thieves are now using cordless Dremels instead of the not so inconspicuous bold cutters. Best not to leave your bike anywhere you cannot have an eye on it....
it would take forever to dremel through that bolt, its better to use the cutters
Old 01-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I couldn't understand a friggin word that ugly brit lady said.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #26
J-Row
Gold MemberŪ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR, 2006 1000RR (STOLEN)

Thieves are going to take it no matter what u do....it just depends on how bad they want it.
PGR #121546
J-Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #27
eugene

i agree!

maybe you shoudl just put several chains on the bike...hahah! take them more time.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #28
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I keep a rotor lock on the bike for some areas I ride to.

like anything else its about preventative measure... theft insurance. If you're not willing to pay for it now, you will have to when its gone.

or make the bike unappealable; like pink, battered up and park it upside down on the rear seat and upper tree
Old 01-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #29
J-Row
Gold MemberŪ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR, 2006 1000RR (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligonetx View Post
make the bike unappealable; like pink, battered up and park it upside down on the rear seat and upper tree
PGR #121546
J-Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #30
AggieGixxer

Bike(s):
2002 GSX-R600

One of my roommates in college bought about 5' of chain and wrapped it in about 10 rolls of duct tape and left about 1/2 a link at each end for one of those circle locks to go through. It took us playing with it for a few hours before we could even get it to bend enough to chain the bike up. It wouldn't have stopped somebody if they wanted it, but it would detur those looking for the quick and easy target, and make it fun for somebody with a saw or whatever. The one time he didn't chain it up, it was gone.
AggieGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #31
bullmoose

[QUOTE=Whorenet;878226]hmmm i have a brinks cable lock on mine....the extra strength one...
someone has tried bolt cutters on it.......but they barely got through the outside coating....this is the 3/4 inch thick weave cable so i know it can be done with enough effort...[QUOTE]

I've had people try to steal my bike twice. The first time, they really could have got the bike, but who ever try to do it didn't know what they were doing. The second time, I had the same cable that Whorenet had, and apperently they had scouted it out, came prepared, and through it with a hack saw. Luckly, I had thought through, and made mutiple lines of defence, and they weren't able to get away with it. Thieves need to DIE!!!
bullmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #32
Zanx

Hi, I'm the fat guy on the video, just followed the link from my Youtube page and landed here

Regarding cables, I would strongly urge people NOT to use any cable, armoured or otherwise, all you need is a cable cutter and they'll go in seconds...yes this is an old cable but I have cut the actual armoured articulations AND the cable beneath on in less time than it takes to take the packaging off.

And a writer for the Cycle Touring Club (UK) isn't too impressed with cables either.

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=327

Seriously, they are rubbish and can be cut with a number of implements from actual braided cable cutters to garden shears and can sometimes be broken with a tire wrench.

Patrick, I asked a fireman friend of mine to test the 16mm Almax with his Jaws of Life, it took him 4 minutes of bouncing the pump off the limiter before the chain finally went. That's 32 tonnes of pressure, I reckon it's pretty good if you can limit the amount of theives who are in with achance of stealing you bike down to those with petrol powered hydraulics.

Apologies to Admin if this looks like advertising, I don't actually work for Almax but I do like to help out where I can and if needed, offer lock advice for people who want it.

Last edited by Zanx; 02-27-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Zanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #33
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Are you kidding me? You some how found your way to Motohouston through your Youtube page? That is very interesting. Thanks for your input and education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanx View Post
Hi, I'm the fat guy on the video, just followed the link from my Youtube page and landed here

Regarding cables, I would strongly urge people NOT to use any cable, armoured or otherwise, all you need is a cable cutter and they'll go in seconds...yes this is an old cable but I have cut the actual armoured articulations AND the cable beneath on in less time than it takes to take the packaging off.

And a writer for the Cycle Touring Club (UK) isn't too impressed with cables either.

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=327

Seriously, they are rubbish and can be cut with a number of implements from actual braided cable cutters to garden shears and can sometimes be broken with a tire wrench.

Patrick, I asked a fireman friend of mine to test the 16mm Almax with his Jaws of Life, it took him 4 minutes of bouncing the pump off the limiter before the chain finally went. That's 32 tonnes of pressure, I reckon it's pretty good if you can limit the amount of theives who are in with achance of stealing you bike down to those with petrol powered hydraulics.

Apologies to Admin if this looks like advertising, I don't actually work for Almax but I do like to help out where I can and if needed, offer lock advice for people who want it.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #34
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
no chit....

someone must have written a comment on the youtube page.

was good information; I appreciated the videos
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #35
Zanx

No seriously, if anyone links to any of my vids, the url is shown and I can follow it to where it's being viewed. Mostly it's just rubbish sites that host Youtube vids but occasionally there are real sites with real people on the other end

Just FYI, Almax are upping stumps and moving to South Carolina soon, hopefully I'll escape this over regulated, over monitored hellhole shortly after.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #36
Zanx

XRCajun, have you checked your kickstarter bolt on the XR lately? I had a superb XR650R supermoto that just ejected the kicker because of a loose bolt, cost me the equivalent of $200.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #37
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Yeah Zank I've used it off road quite a bit and I make sure it's always got thread lock on and check it regularly. Another one is the right foot peg bolts. They'll break off and leave you with a broken leg real quick.

Let us know when you make it to the US. Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #38
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Hello Zanx! Welcome to "Houston"!!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #39
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Hello Zanx! Welcome to "Houston"!!
Boy I misspelled his name didn't I?

Hey Rob I got on for the noob day at MSRH!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #40
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Boy I misspelled his name didn't I?

Hey Rob I got on for the noob day at MSRH!
That's great, man! djs is also signed up. He posted in the Longhorn MS section.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement