MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 AM   #1
Mr. Sparkles

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
03 GSX-R 600

For those whose bike is their only means of transportation...

So I was wondering about this the other day...For the riders on here whose bike is their only means of transportation, how do you do some of the daily tasks which generally require a car.

Like how do you shop for groceries, go clothes shopping, go to work (if you have a general office position which requires suit/tie), does your start to hurt after awhile, do you have super huge leg and calf muscles, if you're going to the gym do you just strap your gym bag to your back, and how do you pick up people from the airport. And speaking of picking other people up, where would you store the spare lid?

So what do you guys do in these and other situations where only having a bike is difficult?
Mr. Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike transportation to Halllett bluepine Taking it to the Track 0 04-30-2014 11:37 AM
Is your bike your only transportation? eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 05-20-2011 05:39 PM
Bike Transportation to Track Days bluroketr6 Taking it to the Track 27 10-14-2008 08:52 PM
Bike transportation to TWS (Texas World Speedway) on 9/27 needed mike Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 09-21-2008 08:17 PM
Transportation of bike From FL to TX BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 12-25-2006 05:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

they live with their parents

and have no friends

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post

and have no friends

lol well in my case the living with parents is correct if i need to use a car seriously i have friends with one of my gf's parents car i used to have one and got rid of it i love having the bike as a daily
Old 12-03-2007, 03:00 AM   #4
Fight The Chaos

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkles View Post
So I was wondering about this the other day...For the riders on here whose bike is their only means of transportation, how do you do some of the daily tasks which generally require a car.

Like how do you shop for groceries, go clothes shopping, go to work (if you have a general office position which requires suit/tie), does your start to hurt after awhile, do you have super huge leg and calf muscles, if you're going to the gym do you just strap your gym bag to your back, and how do you pick up people from the airport. And speaking of picking other people up, where would you store the spare lid?

So what do you guys do in these and other situations where only having a bike is difficult?
for now my parents are using my car so i only have this bike to do my stuff.

I just use a backpack if i need to bring things around. If i go grocery shopping, i just go to work and ask an employee for his car (i've known him for years so its cool). I don't need to dress for work since i work in the tech department = casual wear/whatever you want.

I don't have huge leg muscles but they are in good shape. I have a gym in my garage, and no i don't live with my parents. The seat is very well made so i have never had any problems sitting on my bike for long periods.

Only part is if it rains. Other than that its no hardship at all.

Last edited by Fight The Chaos; 12-03-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Fight The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
Cornbread
Cornelius Breadington

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Huffy

Send a message via AIM to Cornbread Send a message via Yahoo to Cornbread
I have a company vehicle, so technically, the bike isn't my only transportation.

But, I will probably be investing in a set of saddlebags.

If I need to pick someone up from the airport, they can ride Super Shuttle or catch a cab.
Cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I never had it as my only form of transportation personally but I used it everyday. I did almost everything with it. I did have a flat tire once on my truck and I took the rim and tire to Discount Tire on it. Lol. I rode it a lot. I was averaging 26K miles a year on it. There isn't much you can't do on one. The only things you can't do on it is maybe carry a sheet of plywood home from Home Depot or something like that. Shopping for clothes, groceries, etc. are the easy things to accomplish. Especially with a tankbag, saddle bag, tail bag, backpack or any combination of those. Other things to consider is a Aerostich suit. They zip on over your clothes and can keep you warm and dry as well as protected. They are the only textile suit that they will allow you on the track with for trackdays. So you know that they are golden. www.aerostich.com
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Tourmaster makes a nice 1 pc suit also like the Aerostitch and its about half the cost. I have one and it works awesome....Its not completely waterproof though, more like water resistant but you will still need a slicker suit to keep from getting wet if get in a storm.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I used mine for work all the time in the past. I have a tank bag and a back pack. I would carry my work clothes in the tank bag and change when I got to work. A fair amount of groceries can fit into a tank bag as well. As far as passengers go...eff them. they have cabs at the airport,lol.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
Lucifer
The Last Enigma

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda CRF 50

Member Garage

My bike is my only means of transportation. If I am goin to the gym, grocery shopping, or clothes shopping I usually just take my swiss backpack. It has plenty of pockets and is a good size, plus its water proof. About, riding it the rain I usually don't mind it, I actually have fun in the rain. I just throw a spare set of pants in my backpack and I just change when I get to work. The main reason I enjoy having a bike is no one ever calls me to give them a ride(besides my girl) so eff the guy at the airport. All the riding doesn't really hurt my , but it does hurt my eemm...man hood since the riding position of my bike.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
I've loaned my bike to a friend for a few weeks, but making a bike a daily driver is all about preparing - panniers/saddle bags and/or top case for groceries and stuff, a full waterproof suit (one or two piece) for commuting, heated grips for chilly mornings, etc.

If you're not spending money on a car payment and more insurance, then you should have enough to get the bike rigged up just the way you like it and to do just what you need with it.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post

and have no friends
hey, way to make yourself look dumb,..sheesh.

i dont live with my parents, i got plenty of friends.

anyways, other than this thread having been done a zillioin times, its easy...

a decent size tankbag helps, something like the icon urban one. its backpack sized. throw that on the tank, as well as a backpack on your back, and you got some cargo room. you can get a couple weeks of groceries this way. you skip the gallons of gatorrade/milk/whatever, and just get everything else. you get all your milk soda whatever from the corner store walking, or you can make a second trip and probably carry 4-5 2 liters of coke at least like that.

laundry is the same if you need to, though its rare to find apartments anymore that dont have a laundrymat on site.

now as for going to work if you have a nice job, ive never had to wear a tie and jacket, so i dont know. im sure there is some way to pull it off. if it were me, i would keep my dry cleaning at the office, ride in early and change once i got there.

as for rain, a poncho of some sort helps, but ive found no amount of raingear will really keep you dry, esp not your shoes. when its pouring and i have to go, i just pack some dry clothes in plastic, and roll out. change into some dry clothes once im there.

picking people up from the airport...call them a cab, or have someone else get them. if they are down to ride 2 up, its usually not to hard to store a helmet, many bikes have helmet locks built in. otherwise that ico backpack i mentioned above has means to carry the lid under the backpack.

its all do-able, and i gotta say its hella nice to have a bike thats paid for, and costs $80 for a year of insurance.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
jph1486

Bike(s):
yzf600r(sold) 03 fiddy
zx6
zx10
kx250f

i had to get dog food once and alls i had was my bike so i went to walmart got the food and laid it on my tank and drove home..but walmart is like 2 seconds from my house....people were still lookin and laughin at me
Old 12-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

man thanks for starting this thread, i was wonderin about the same thing, i was thinking about selling my car and getting another bike, i sold my r6 a few months back and now thinkin about just riding my bike to work and school, with gas so high and my car being so much to fix any time anything goes wrong, i might just do it, i have plenty of feinds with cars , and aint no one flyiin into no airport to see me sooo anyone think its a bad idea to be cageless????????? rain is one thing im an experienced rider, but i never really rode in the cold all to much, oh and lol i can always use my parents car if i absolutey need to, and i dontlive with my parents,
OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTONDUC View Post
My bike is my only means of transportation. If I am goin to the gym, grocery shopping, or clothes shopping I usually just take my swiss backpack. It has plenty of pockets and is a good size, plus its water proof. About, riding it the rain I usually don't mind it, I actually have fun in the rain. I just throw a spare set of pants in my backpack and I just change when I get to work. The main reason I enjoy having a bike is no one ever calls me to give them a ride(besides my girl) so eff the guy at the airport. All the riding doesn't really hurt my , but it does hurt my eemm...man hood since the riding position of my bike.
, you are hardcore.....daily riding on a Duc.....

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

i had a broke down lincoln for about 2 months and only had my bike...needless to say you become VERY RESOURCEFULL... except for that time i went through the drive through at taco bell and lost all my tacos.
sixerSLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
txferrari
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

txferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #17
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I have a car, and access to a truck.. but 99% of the time, I ride.

I do grocery shopping etc on the bike... tank bag, tailbag & backpack.
Dog-food or the like, goes on the pillon section of the seat, under the tailbag.

Got some funny looks one day, riding from walmart. Had a backpack on loaded, with a dozen arrows sticking out of the top of it. :-) (Kids lost mosts of theirs, so bought some cheapies)
Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #18
Lucifer
The Last Enigma

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda CRF 50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
, you are hardcore.....daily riding on a Duc.....
Well not me my eemm man hood is. Haha.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #19
sixshooter1125
Shiver me timbers

Bike(s):
2002 Harley Roadking
2007 CRF450r
2005 CR125r
2004 R6 *sold*
2001 xr50

My bike is my daily...

I wear buisness attire to work, and I just wear a pair of jeans over my slacks, leave my shoes at the office, and my leather jacket over my shirt... Jacket and tie stay at work..

As for grocerys and whatnot, my girl has a car so we use that..
sixshooter1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #20
Mr. Sparkles

Bike(s):
03 GSX-R 600

Thanks for the heads up all. I was thinking about making my bike my daily because the price of gas is just sky rocketing. Any good recommendations on tank bags?
Mr. Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement