MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #81
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Her mistake was willingly entering a cop house. Screw that!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
for the armchair cops RACER X Off Topic 1 09-10-2014 07:22 AM
!! cops, cops, cops... floyd600 Off Topic 6 11-05-2010 10:19 AM
one for GB, Cops chasing Cops RACER X Off Topic 11 02-16-2009 01:26 PM
hey cops! no really... Whorenet Off Topic 71 12-19-2007 11:42 AM
hey hey motorcycle test!!! OutlawDCustoMs Off Topic 21 11-09-2005 11:26 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #82
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Her mistake was willingly entering a cop house. Screw that!
+20

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #83
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Your opinion is you think it was excessive, the PD who used the force didn't.
Of course they didn't. That's part of the problem.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #84
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974 View Post
Of course they didn't. That's part of the problem.
Same could be said of your opinion. You weren't there, they were.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #85
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Same could be said of your opinion. You weren't there, they were.
and up to this point all we have is their side of the story, and no video to watch. . .until then, we're all just speculating based on past experiences and personal views. Kinda hard for me to come to an educated decision without the other side's views being presented. At this point all we really know is she should have been on birth control a lot sooner in life(my opinion of course, no one get all worked up over it please) and she "resisted" in some form or fashion when he tried to detain her. I can't say who was right or wrong with that little evidence. . .
Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #86
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
I can't say who was right or wrong with that little evidence. . .
Yet the media and sheeple do it all the time...

I agree with you 100% though.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #87
Dementia

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'07 Triumph 675 Daytona

Send a message via AIM to Dementia
Ok so I am coming in late and am sure that I don't have all the fine details of the thread but I have been told the jest.

As far as tazer being able to kill someone.......

Yes it could. For the person who is responding with the text book definitions of cardiac arrhythmia's you are correct BUT there are other factors that definitions cannot give you. Electricity affects the heart regardless of amps or joules. The heart beats by it's own intrinsic electrical pulse, hence getting EKG readings, etc. Think of a person in afib or symptomatic bradycardia that has to be transcutaneous paced (paced on the chest and not by leads in the heart like a pacemaker). The joules used there are much lower than for defibrillation and it affects the heart and how often it beats. There is a phenomenon called an R on T, which is basically a way to say that if the heart is stimulated at the right moment and it is in normal sinus rhythm (or any other rhythm that can sustain life) then it will CAUSE vtach and/or vfib. Lastly....have you have of precordial thump? If you can thump someone's chest and affect their heart then how can a tazer NOT affect it?

I by no means am implying it is an often occurrence. I am sure that several people have been tazered and survived. Only a couple hundred have died out of several.

On a different note my opinion is that she was unjustly tazered. BUT you know opinions are like ........
Dementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #88
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia View Post
Ok so I am coming in late and am sure that I don't have all the fine details of the thread but I have been told the jest.

Yes it could. For the person who is responding with the text book definitions of cardiac arrhythmia's you are correct BUT there are other factors that definitions cannot give you. Electricity affects the heart regardless of amps or joules. The heart beats by it's own intrinsic electrical pulse, hence getting EKG readings, etc. Think of a person in afib or symptomatic bradycardia that has to be transcutaneous paced (paced on the chest and not by leads in the heart like a pacemaker). The joules used there are much lower than for defibrillation and it affects the heart and how often it beats. There is a phenomenon called an R on T, which is basically a way to say that if the heart is stimulated at the right moment and it is in normal sinus rhythm (or any other rhythm that can sustain life) then it will CAUSE vtach and/or vfib. Lastly....have you have of precordial thump? If you can thump someone's chest and affect their heart then how can a tazer NOT affect it?

I by no means am implying it is an often occurrence. I am sure that several people have been tazered and survived. Only a couple hundred have died out of several.

On a different note my opinion is that she was unjustly tazered. BUT you know opinions are like ........

i accidently tasered myself.. it was a blast... not wanting to go for second attempt...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #89
Cherub
FTP

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
06 Raven R6

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Cherub Send a message via Yahoo to Cherub
Quote:

yea thats what i was thinking

~Dream as if you live forever. Live as if you die today~ James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It makes me cry, but real tears not the ones out of my like usual.
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #90
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

i already learned the lesson

you have to be a cop to understand we can kill anyone"

thats the response we will always get lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #91
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Electricity affects the heart regardless of amps or joules. The heart beats by it's own intrinsic electrical pulse, hence getting EKG readings, etc.
True, each individual cell has an intrinsic rate, and when placed together, they work in unison, or are supposed to by the sodium/ potassium pump. An electrical depolarization of the cardiac cells, which are unique to that muscle.
Quote:
Think of a person in afib or symptomatic bradycardia that has to be transcutaneous paced (paced on the chest and not by leads in the heart like a pacemaker).
Well, typically, we don't pace a-fib in the field as that usually has a rate that is not bradycardic. If you guys do it different in a clinical setting, that's your deal I don't know that feild. Pacing is reserved for rythyms that are bradycardic an symptomatic. Sure, the energy is lower, measured in ma, but pacing pads are also placed anteriorly and posteriorly to the patient, which gives a specific conduction path through the chest cavity to affect the heart directly. Tazers on the other hand, have electrical poles that are not designed to go through a body, rather affect the area between the two poles, usually only inches appart laterally.
Quote:
There is a phenomenon called an R on T, which is basically a way to say that if the heart is stimulated at the right moment and it is in normal sinus rhythm (or any other rhythm that can sustain life) then it will CAUSE vtach and/or vfib.
R on T is a phenomenon that occurs naturally, and is a pre-courser to v-fib/ tach. R on T can be caused by a stimulation (like electricity) at a specific time, causing the cardiac muscles to depolarize at the wrong time in the absolut refractory period. Timing that to happen would have to be clinical to reproduce accurately, if it happened accidentally, it would be pure chance.
Quote:
Lastly....have you have of precordial thump? If you can thump someone's chest and affect their heart then how can a tazer NOT affect it?
Pre-cordial thump, when properly applied, generates ~1 joule. It is also a direct effect to the heart, and does penetrate the chest cavity. Again, tazers do no produce even 1 joule, and are not designed to penetrate any cavity. Electricity travels the path of least resistance, and when electric poles are placed within an inch or two, it will travel the surface of the skin from pole to pole. It does not magically travel through the body to the heart. Sure, muscular contractions will occur, but are isolated to the affected muscles that the tazer is physically connected to.

Stun devices were originally marketed as "non-lethal" devices. However, based on the judgments of the SEC, this has had to be amended as "less-lethal" devices.

Between September 1999 and October 2004, there were 73 cases of deaths of people soon after having been shocked with Tasers.

About 45% of these were attributed to excited delirium (caused by a subject's interaction with high levels of drug-use), around 30% were as a result of pre-existing cardiovascular conditions or other pre-existing medical conditions, The remainder occurred as a result of head injuries sustained due to falling after being shocked.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #92
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I would assume that by "in the field" that would mean your an emt right? cool...but that FACT remains that deaths do occur from stun guns. no matter what the medical conditions are, they occur...so what exactly are you trying to prove with the medical definitions?
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #93
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

also...all the current info I have seen on the web say 200 deaths within the last 5 years due to stun guns.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #94
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

It's a lot safer to taser someone (not in a police station) than subdue them with a baton. for both. back in the day before tasers if a guy was big, drunk and fighting, it took a lot of shots with a baton to bring them down. and you risked getting it taken away and used on you.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #95
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tz420 View Post
It's a lot safer to taser someone (not in a police station) than subdue them with a baton. for both. back in the day before tasers if a guy was big, drunk and fighting, it took a lot of shots with a baton to bring them down. and you risked getting it taken away and used on you.
true...apparently you have to watch out for those pregos hopped up on hormones too,lol. she could have easily out muscled that cop laying face down on the floor like that.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #96
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

let me put this a different way...what if YOUR pregnant wife went into a police station seeking help and things went wrong...what if things went differently and the baby miscarried...would you still have the same opinion? what if mother and child died...would you still have the same opinion? There are still a lot of unknowns involving the use of stun guns and how the human body reacts. There are lots of mentally unstable people out there that need help...should it be the norm to taze them as well when they get worked up? I am not saying that a cop shouldn't use it if it is really necessary, but a woman laying face down on the ground IN a police station. WTF!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #97
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
...so what exactly are you trying to prove with the medical definitions?
The correlation was made between defibrilation and the taser. In my first post replying to that, I made mention that while it's possible that someone may die, the chances are remote that it will be due to the taser energy delivered to the person. You wanted to bring Dementia in to this to "explain" like I was wrong (or that is the impression I got).

All I did was explain that: the method of delivering energy for defibrilation is higher/ different, is given as directly to the heart as possible, most of the time is bi-phasic, and is designed to deliver energy anteriorly to posteriorly to travel through the chest cavity to achieve desired effect. Tasers on the other hand are designed to deliver enough energy to effect muscles to contract, causing a muscular paralysis of sorts, conduct the electricity between two poles (which are inches apart) and across the dermis and surface musculature, and that under the right conditions, can cause death or cardiac arrythmias in certain instances- but are relatively rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor
also...all the current info I have seen on the web say 200 deaths within the last 5 years due to stun guns.
I haven't seen that, and couldn't find it. The only one I found was the one I posted, which was '99-'04 and was 73. Makes sense that it would be 200 or so in the past 5 years, I know there are probably 4 times as many departments using them in the past 5 years vs the previous 5.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #98
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
true...apparently you have to watch out for those pregos hopped up on hormones too,lol. she could have easily out muscled that cop laying face down on the floor like that.
you will never win, remember that some ppl love the way the govmnt do things nowadays

untill they are the ones being tazered, ran over, shot, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #99
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
let me put this a different way...what if YOUR pregnant wife went into a police station seeking help and things went wrong...what if things went differently and the baby miscarried...would you still have the same opinion? what if mother and child died...would you still have the same opinion? There are still a lot of unknowns involving the use of stun guns and how the human body reacts. There are lots of mentally unstable people out there that need help...should it be the norm to taze them as well when they get worked up? I am not saying that a cop shouldn't use it if it is really necessary, but a woman laying face down on the ground IN a police station. WTF!
There you go, you have to define what is in bold above. Make that decision at a moment's notice, less than a split second.
We can "what if" this to death, I understand that it's a debate of sorts and that can be considered. That being the case, I can't think of any situation where my Wife would be in that position. Clearly there is only part of the story being told here, and none of us were there.

I'd rather see a number of less than lethal devices used- there are lots of others. Guess what? Under the right conditions, they'll cause death too, just like restraining someone in a simple manner can. Rember seeing those reports on the news?

On the other hand, I'd also rather see the PD not have any circumstance to use those devices either...
Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #100
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
you will never win, remember that some ppl love the way the govmnt do things nowadays

untill they are the ones being tazered, ran over, shot, etc
Simple solution, don't do anything to cause you to be tased, run over or shot Simple really.

Advertisement