Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
maxgs

Member Garage

Need help with '08 GSXR-1000 Suspension

Folks, I'm still very new to my '08 gixxer 1000 and to tracking the bike. Brandon @ Motorcycles Unlimited did the setup for my bike a couple of weeks ago understanding that I was new to the track and that I would be mixing street and track riding. Since then I've been on the track four times. Today one of the MSR members (and an ex-motorcycle road racer) noticed that my front end was diving pretty badly. He put a tie wrap on it and, sure enough, I was bottoming out the front shocks.

Rory was there and took a look. He suggested increasing slow bump (compression) 3 clicks on the bottom of the forks; I did this by rotating it clockwise. I went back out and was still right near the end of the shock travel, albeit a little better. When I came back he made another suggestion that I increase the preload.

When Brandon set up my bike he set the preload such that it was out 5 positions. I'm more than willing to take the preload to 3, but I am interested in the opinions of experienced racer/wrenches before I make another change. Should I move the slow bump back out 3 positions and change the preload or just go ahead and adjust the preload from 5 to 3?

Another person said I shouldn't even bother with the preload; rather I should get new front springs. Increasing the preload would reduce overall shock travel. Intuitively, the engineer in me doesn't agree but I'm too new to be relying on intuition.

BTW, I'm a very big guy... 6'6" and about 290; I suspect that contributes to the bottoming out issue.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
06 gsxr 1000 with a 07 gsxer 1000 motor in it??? mrjohnican General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-22-2015 08:07 AM
Does anyone have any 08 gsxr 1000 dog bones for sale? MrGixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 07-11-2013 08:57 PM
shift light 08 gsxr 1000 how to?? bugzey How To's and Q & A's 7 06-29-2009 11:26 AM
anyone had a 08 gsxr 1000 special edition stolen??? jheeziee110 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-28-2008 08:59 PM
K7 1000 Suspension Help DustinJ How To's and Q & A's 5 03-08-2008 11:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

You are a big guy and these bikes as new are set up for the average sized rider. You really should consider having the bike sprung for your weight.

Something else you might consider is where your weight is when you are on the brakes. Are you using your legs and torso to keep your weight back in the center of the bike or are you pushing yourself back with your arms and transferring all of that weight directly into your forks?

Good luck with your track days and finding the set up that suits you.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
andre3k
I see dead people...

^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with the above post. At your weight its gonna be the springs. Racetech has a calculator on their website that will get you in the ballpark on your spring weight.

That shock is gonna need some help as well.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

I'm not as tall as you, you have me by 4"- and you outweigh me by about 40- but I hear ya here, I have the same issues.

I endurance race, and the guys I race with are much smaller than me. I have to run on soft suspensions all the time, and actually prefer it. Most smooth riders will ride softer suspensions than the guys who go in dive-bombing the corners.

Firstly, a stock suspension can be just fine, but it's really built for some Japanese guy who weighs at max 140 lbs.

Here's the gem- if you aren't having any issues, don't eff with the bike. If you're happy with the bike, you're not tossing it down the track, and aren't having any issues on the track... why would you change anything?

Now, here's some info from an old racer who pays someone else to tune his suspension:
You have some adjustments that you can "play" with, and don't get spooked by them. Compression and preload will work with your current issue (if it's really a problem). Increasing the compression (firmer) and increasing your preload will help with dive. Sometimes, big adjustments are necessary so you can find your happy medium. I'd go considerably firmer on the compression, and if you have five lines showing on preload, I'd increase it to 2 showing. You may have to slow rebound when you increase preload.

After making big adjustments, do some tuning laps- slow at first to get a feel for the changes. If you don't like what your feeling, your getting some untoward effects, or your gut says "this feels scary", go back in to the pits and back off what you changed (if you go firmer, back off a bit softer).

Some of those sessions will get you back in to the groove eventually.

Personally though, I don't care what "XX" person says my bike looks like- heck, some of that may just be the rider and not the bike. Basically, if you're not having a problem, don't change anything.

Any new person (even big guys like me and you) can ride just fine on stock suspension. It's when you get a bunch of seat time at the track behind you that upgrading your suspension bits will benefit you most. There is no doubt that starting out on a good suspension will be juuuust fine, and may even make you even more comfortable. But is it necessary? No.

For the record, I bottom out my suspension too, and I've spent untold thousands over the last few years to get it built/ rebuilt/ rebuilt again just for me. A problem is when it's happening and causing issues- but you'll bottom out every once in a while when you're braking hard. Not saying it's good, it just happens.

I'd take the bike to Andy at Metric Motorcycles in the Heights, or Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited for the straight skinny. If you go to Andy, be prepared for a brutal, off the cuff, straight up truth session He won't hold back!

Now, you won't go wrong with new springs, Racetech mods/ valving on the front, and an Ohlins Triple out back. You'll know what good suspension is after those mods fo sho.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 12-01-2007 at 11:48 PM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
maxgs

Member Garage

Thanks for the detailed response, Tom.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Curt,
The suspension setup Brandon did was a good baseline setup for your weight and riding parameters at the time; street / track use and the level at that time of your skill level.

As your skill increases and the focus of your use changes than your setup will change as well.

Because you've now been to the track 4 times in the last few weeks, your skill level has increased and you're now inputting different loads to your suspension then before.

You are also asking more of your suspension by being more track focused.

As Tom already stated, IF your bike is giving you issues, you can either try adjusting the suspension yourself or ask your tuner (us) and he can suggest some changes.
We're always happy to help out, even if we're not there give us a call and we can make some suggestions.

FWIW, if you're starting to go to the track a lot, you may want to bring it by for us to change your setup some, as well as offer some suggestions on modifications to better perform for your size.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

Thanks Patrick; you guys have been a tremendous help already. I'll be by this week. Also want to talk about another set of wheels and more appropriate tires. I'm headed back to the track this morning; I'm going to try focus on keeping my weight more appropriately distributed and see how that changes things. I think I'm still putting too much weight on the clipons during braking.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Thanks Patrick; you guys have been a tremendous help already. I'll be by this week. Also want to talk about another set of wheels and more appropriate tires. I'm headed back to the track this morning; I'm going to try focus on keeping my weight more appropriately distributed and see how that changes things. I think I'm still putting too much weight on the clipons during braking.
Curt, if you haven't already, I'd bet you could benefit from one-on-one lessons with a good instructor. I haven't seen Larry's instruction, but there seems to be good feedback on him at the Mercedes track in Angleton. Sounds like you have a membership there too, so Larry could be a natural choice for you to get some instruction from.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Curt,
I'd caution changing things on your bike, if your not having any issues. If your feeling good and confident, then just ride it. If your having issues, then certainly call your tuner and ask questions. I'd stick with one person and that way you can build a relationship. They know what your talking about when you explain things, and you understand them when they explain resolutions. Someone will always be pointing to things and saying things and trying to point you in different directions. Trust YOUR feelings; your riding the bike and you know what feels good.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
ange062

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
Definitely talk to Larry, the course is awesome and the instruction will help you in many ways, including tweaking that suspension setup.
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

If they set it up for combo street and track, it is probably a little soft for the track. Prob want to go back and "firm" it up a bit. I run mine soft for the street and those mid corner bumps don't make me swap lanes.

And don't worry too much what someone else thinks about your ride, set it up for YOU.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #13
SCRC John

Member Garage

I just know I have been working w/ Patrick for years and he has never failed me. Remember the tires and the set-up (suspension) work in concert. I also know Patrick has years of training & experience with many different brands of products.

John
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
maxgs

Member Garage

Well, I was back at MSR Houston today and I changed the preload from 5 to 2... still bottoming out the shocks and with the increased corner entry speed in both diamonds edge and the entry to 17 (running reverse again), now I'm feeling the chatter from the shock bottoming out. Time to visit a suspension guy... just too damned heavy for the bike's stock springs.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
SCRC John

Member Garage

As you compress the spring (add preload) the spring becomes more harsh and allows less travel. With the proper rated springs, you still have all of the intended travel, but it is conrolled more much more smoothly. The rebound circuit in the forks will soon not be enough as well, thus the need for better valving.

John
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
I'd use patrick to set up my suspension. Jim Cambora does good work but has a long turn around time.
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #17
jettech01
Motorcyle Rider not owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Well, I was back at MSR Houston today and I changed the preload from 5 to 2... still bottoming out the shocks and with the increased corner entry speed in both diamonds edge and the entry to 17 (running reverse again), now I'm feeling the chatter from the shock bottoming out. Time to visit a suspension guy... just too damned heavy for the bike's stock springs.
You might also consider the quality of your front fork oil, what weight you use, and how long it has been since change. FWIW
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettech01 View Post
You might also consider the quality of your front fork oil, what weight you use, and how long it has been since change. FWIW
its a brand new 08 gix1k.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #19
jettech01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
its a brand new 08 gix1k.

With 5 track days on it.......Hmmmm with the loads its taking I am betting that fluid is Water quality.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #20
jettech01

Maybe a heavier weight fork oil (not much) would help the high speed damping and compression.

Advertisement