MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #41
ls_dm
Still Goin...............

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

Inspecting does make money, but definetly not as entertaining as building things with your own two hands
ls_dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
learn stoppies PowerSurgeD Stunters Lounge 2 05-28-2008 01:11 AM
?stoppies. C-RO Stunters Lounge 15 07-24-2007 06:59 PM
The King of Stoppies MATT L. Stunters Lounge 15 01-01-2007 06:50 PM
help with stoppies upononer6 Stunters Lounge 119 08-10-2006 02:27 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #42
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls_dm View Post
Inspecting does make money, but definetly not as entertaining as building things with your own two hands
Yeah, but he's old, and been building for many years. He's so happy to be off his tools... Gotta keep moving up!
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #43
ls_dm

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

alot of welders normally end up doin that, one of my old teachers has his own Weld Inspection buisness. The good thing about that part of the industry is that it is required for welders to be certified in whatever position or process they are engaging in. There will always be work in inspecting
Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #44
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Just a thot for you to consider...
I work for an airline and our welders are all certified. They work out of the weather for the most part and some of what they do is pretty cool. i.e. welding on aircraft parts.
They also spend a lot of time making work stands and things, but sometimes they build BBQ pits or do nothing too. For welding it seems like a pretty good gig.
And, I don't know what welders out in the world make generally but, they get paid pretty well too.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #45
ls_dm

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Just a thot for you to consider...
I work for an airline and our welders are all certified. They work out of the weather for the most part and some of what they do is pretty cool. i.e. welding on aircraft parts.
They also spend a lot of time making work stands and things, but sometimes they build BBQ pits or do nothing too. For welding it seems like a pretty good gig.
And, I don't know what welders out in the world make generally but, they get paid pretty well too.
Yeah I luv welding, i pretty much have my own little shop in my garage, complete with a Millermatic 185 Mig welder, Miller Syncrowave 180 Tig/Stick welder, Victor oxy/acetylene cutting torch, and a couple of other nice little tools that allow me to make just about anything i want
Old 12-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #46
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70 View Post
As you experienced first-hand, the front brake provides pretty much all of your stopping power on a sportbike. IMO the rear brake is just for decorative purposes or maybe to prevent you from rolling when stopped at a red light on a hill. Your first reaction should be to use the front brake to its maximum effectiveness. In any scenario a locked wheel provides a significantly lower coefficient of friction with the road and therefore less stopping power and a longer stopping distance, simple physics. If you feel the brake locking release some pressure to unlock it. Always be aware of what the traffic is doing behind you as well because it does no good for avoid the car in front only to be hit from behind by a tailgator. You have to monitor the traffic behind as you ride so that you can take measures like flashing the brake light every so often to make tailgators back off or get them to pass you.

Practice your quick stops somewhere away from any traffic to get a feel for what the maximum braking performance is. Be prepared so that when something happens your reactions are instinctive and you're not trying to figure it out on the fly.
Well put.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #47
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Some of the folks might have pushed a little too hard on the MSF button. It was mentioned about how locking the brake decreases traction, while true, it doesn't have anything to do with this situation.
He couldn't have locked the brake or he would have slid and fallen instead he did a stoppie. THAT is max braking. Any more and you go over, any less and it would take longer to stop.
No wonder he got a little defensive.

If he hadn't said he locked the rear, then jumped on the front, maybe we wouldn't have had comments? Maybe not...

And from 45 mph, most bikes can stop in a very short distance.... maybe not 10 feet, but certainly not locked up and sliding.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #48
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
did you moron's know his sh_t did'nt lock up !!!!! he was cut off by a cager !!
i know that posting anything on here is going to have different comments but come on people try to shoot tha sh_t not be so critical !!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #49
ls_dm

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
If he hadn't said he locked the rear, then jumped on the front, maybe we wouldn't have had comments? Maybe not...

And from 45 mph, most bikes can stop in a very short distance.... maybe not 10 feet, but certainly not locked up and sliding.
well that is how fast this incident happened, but i dont know anything cuz i havnt takin the msf, i can barely ride my motorcylcle in a straight line.
Im gonna go wheelie in traffic see ya later!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #50
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
so if i cut u off in a car by like 10 or less feet then slam on the brakes at 45 MPH all in one motion how would you react with cars all around you?
so what did you learn from this incident? what can you do to prevent it from happening again?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #51
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so what did you learn from this incident? what can you do to prevent it from happening again?
you can't answer the question ???
Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #52
ls_dm

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Well I could learn to predict the future that way i would know when sum1 is gonna cut me off, i also learned that it doesnt feel good to slam ur nuts into the gas tank
Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 AM   #53
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

since you haven;t learned anything, i guess you can expect to happen again.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #54
Brandon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

The 'right hand' lane is the WORST lane to be positioned in specifically because of what happened to you (MSF does teach this). So really what you should learn from this incident is to position yourself on the road better. Don't ride in the right hand lane unless you are entering or exiting of course. I like to ride in the far left lane as much as possible, if not then the next lane from the left. (You may not have been in the far right hand lane but what you described seems to indicate that you were.)

Of course we all were not there, you were. We do not know the specifics to your incident. All that matters is that you are ok and hopefully can take something from that incident to apply in the future.

What would I do if a car pulled across 3 lanes infront of me and jammed the brakes?
If I were riding in the far right hand lane and from what you describe the car ended up 15-20 feet infront of you I would have began predicting my defensive action before the car even entered my lane. Take to the shoulder as quickly as possible to avoid the idiot completely.

It's difficult to ask others what they would have done because of all the variables that are involved. I'm not even about to list them all.

As a side note about MSF. I thought there were some classes that were only 2 days? (sat/sun). Suck it up one weekend and use your free Sunday to save a life - it might not be your life your saving.

PS. You and I began riding sport bikes about the same time.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #55
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

hmmm........look at the mindset difference

"i'm too busy for MSF"

Quote:
Well I could learn to predict the future that way i would know when sum1 is gonna cut me off, i also learned that it doesnt feel good to slam ur nuts into the gas tank
VS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
The 'right hand' lane is the WORST lane to be positioned in specifically because of what happened to you (MSF does teach this). So really what you should learn from this incident is to position yourself on the road better. Don't ride in the right hand lane unless you are entering or exiting of course. I like to ride in the far left lane as much as possible, if not then the next lane from the left. (You may not have been in the far right hand lane but what you described seems to indicate that you were.)

:
your mindset is a HUGE factor in keeping you alive on the streets, if you keep on blaming everybody else and not analying and trying to figure out how to prevent it from happening, it'll happen again.

and yes most MSF schools are now on a 2 day schedule. its sad to see people "too busy" to take the class and then in the end, too busy working to fix the bike. then they have 2 things against them, to busy work or whatever to make $ to fix the bike, and MSF $ gone to fixing the bike. and they haven't learned a thing and are bound to make the same mistake again.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016

Last edited by RACER X; 12-02-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #56
ls_dm

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Of course we all were not there, you were. We do not know the specifics to your incident. All that matters is that you are ok and hopefully can take something from that incident to apply in the future.

What would I do if a car pulled across 3 lanes infront of me and jammed the brakes?
If I were riding in the far right hand lane and from what you describe the car ended up 15-20 feet infront of you I would have began predicting my defensive action before the car even entered my lane. Take to the shoulder as quickly as possible to avoid the idiot completely.

It's difficult to ask others what they would have done because of all the variables that are involved. I'm not even about to list them all.

As a side note about MSF. I thought there were some classes that were only 2 days? (sat/sun). Suck it up one weekend and use your free Sunday to save a life - it might not be your life your saving.

PS. You and I began riding sport bikes about the same time.
I was in far left lane, and the car came from a gas station on the otherside of the road, not my side of the road, also there were alot of cars turning left so i couldnt see him coming till it was too late63935271jk4
Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #57
ls_dm

Bike(s):
07 cbr600rr

Last edited by ls_dm; 12-02-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #58
PoPoRiderRR
NO MO BIKE guy!

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR *** SOLD ***

glad you are ok...
Old 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #59
Brandon

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

Ah thanks for the drawing that helps put things in perspective. I misunderstood the situation completely. I think you did what you had to do to stay on two. That's all that matters here. Ask Ramiro (Hellfroze) how he learned to do a stoppie.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #60
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

picture makes all the difference in the world. And great artwork, too!
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement