Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #41
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
You should get a DBA and go 1099. This way you could right off a lot more and save on that tax hit you are taking.
i will look into that, i am not real good with taxes... lol. 1099 is contract right? honestly all the irs is doing is holding that money until i claim it. id rather be investing that money and earing intrest...

we hijacked the out of Jet's thread
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North side project750 Events, Meets and Rides 12 09-05-2012 07:21 PM
HPDs: NORTH SIDE vs SOUTH SIDE! (Drag Day) Saturday November 20th @ LMP SexualChocolate Events, Meets and Rides 0 11-15-2010 01:28 PM
The South Side is the schiznit but this meet is on the North Side! brisingr23 Events, Meets and Rides 47 02-03-2010 03:38 PM
north side Bgsxr1000 Events, Meets and Rides 8 01-28-2007 12:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #42
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
i will look into that, i am not real good with taxes... lol. 1099 is contract right? honestly all the irs is doing is holding that money until i claim it. id rather be investing that money and earing intrest...

we hijacked the out of Jet's thread
With that kind of money just get a CPA rigth off the bat. From experience this is the best thing and it is well worth it with how much you will save. You can right off your truck, part of your house and all kinds of other .

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #43
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

i do that now, but im not on a 1099. i writeoff all sorts of stuff, like fuel to and from work, i breed dogs so i write-off all sorts of things linked to that (including fuel) the guy who does my taxes used to work for the irs so he knows all sorts of things, lol
Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #44
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
i do that now, but im not on a 1099. i writeoff all sorts of stuff, like fuel to and from work, i breed dogs so i write-off all sorts of things linked to that (including fuel) the guy who does my taxes used to work for the irs so he knows all sorts of things, lol
pfft IRS fukin thieves. Uncle Sam sticks it to me every April and i just have to grin and bear it.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #45
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so why aren't you working in "the industry" CHEM E's are starting about 65k a yr.

why do you need a process tech deg. ?
I'm not anywhere near graduation, and operators make between 45-60K a year. Why not get a job operating and let someone pay for my school? My little brother and my best friend haven't paid for school in a year and a half. Gotta start somewhere man. . .
Old 11-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #46
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

oh yeah, operators make good $, but once you get into that track it's really hard to goto school.

i thought you were already a chem e.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #47
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
I'm not anywhere near graduation, and operators make between 45-60K a year. Why not get a job operating and let someone pay for my school? My little brother and my best friend haven't paid for school in a year and a half. Gotta start somewhere man. . .
so you plan on going to school for a process cert, just to get a job as an operator to pay for school to get a chem. engineering degree? sounds like a big circle to me bro.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #48
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

not everybody has an IN like your pops.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 11-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #49
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
oh yeah, operators make good $, but once you get into that track it's really hard to goto school.

i thought you were already a chem e.
Wish i was, then i wouldn't be considering the PT cert. . .
I've been trying to get on with exxonmobil as a techB or techC(pipeline co.) b/c they work normal(ish) hours and support higher education. At the rate my life is going, i may not ever finish that engineering degree, it's a lot harder to be 100% dedicated to class work when the real world steps in and interrupts things on a regular basis. I have half of the Process Tech credits from a few years ago, so i could wrap that up in about 8 months. I feel you on the "track" though, sometimes real life just happens.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #50
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

yup, life gets in the way of education, thats for sure.

was talkin to this kid the other day, PHD straight outta school, no work experience at all.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #51
AliceInChains02

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrobert View Post
lol i'm taking proc tech class at san jac
which semester are you in now?
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #52
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
not everybody has an IN like your pops.
my dad didnt get me in anywhere... i started in the field.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #53
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Wish i was, then i wouldn't be considering the PT cert. . .
I've been trying to get on with exxonmobil as a techB or techC(pipeline co.) b/c they work normal(ish) hours and support higher education. At the rate my life is going, i may not ever finish that engineering degree, it's a lot harder to be 100% dedicated to class work when the real world steps in and interrupts things on a regular basis. I have half of the Process Tech credits from a few years ago, so i could wrap that up in about 8 months. I feel you on the "track" though, sometimes real life just happens.
1 year in the field is worth 5 years in the office! if you do become an operator, you'll learn quite a bit in a short amount of time.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #54
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02 View Post
which semester are you in now?
i just signed up for january classes :( so first one

the way this guy is talkin tho, makes me want to just go and apply at these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #55
AliceInChains02

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:

the way this guy is talkin tho, makes me want to just go and apply at these places.
ah, what classes are you taking? i might be able to sell you some books, if you need them, or tell you what book you need so you can buy it online.
but if you do plan on buying them from the store, be quick about it because they sell out quick.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #56
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:

about 2 years ago i got a job at an offshore design shop, starting at 25.00 and hour, and saw alot of field experience. before then it was crappy surveying jobs and small mechanical drafting jobs. i then made a jump about a year later and was making 42.00 hour, and that was piping up 2 refurb drilling rigs. i prefer topsides over plant and drilling, so i came over here to excel, and what do you know, another fat bump in pay... rates are through the roof, i see pipers going out of state for over 100 bucks an hour w/ perdiem and 1.5 ot... 55.00 an hour is above average rate for a piper w/ 5 years of experience but they are in such high demand you can almost make these companies pay what you want. i am a whiz on cadworx and setting up jobs, so i have an edge... if you can get in with a plant that does in house design, you get badass benefits and good pay. im young and want to travel, so a smaller offshore shop like where im at is great.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #57
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02 View Post
ah, what classes are you taking? i might be able to sell you some books, if you need them, or tell you what book you need so you can buy it online.
but if you do plan on buying them from the store, be quick about it because they sell out quick.
PTAC 1302
PTAC 1308
PTAC 1410
SCIT 1414
PTAC 2314

i might drop one and take it in the summer, 17 hours might be too much

Quote:
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #58
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Bike(s):

Quote:
about 2 years ago i got a job at an offshore design shop, starting at 25.00 and hour, and saw alot of field experience. before then it was crappy surveying jobs and small mechanical drafting jobs. i then made a jump about a year later and was making 42.00 hour, and that was piping up 2 refurb drilling rigs. i prefer topsides over plant and drilling, so i came over here to excel, and what do you know, another fat bump in pay... rates are through the roof, i see pipers going out of state for over 100 bucks an hour w/ perdiem and 1.5 ot... 55.00 an hour is above average rate for a piper w/ 5 years of experience but they are in such high demand you can almost make these companies pay what you want. i am a whiz on cadworx and setting up jobs, so i have an edge... if you can get in with a plant that does in house design, you get badass benefits and good pay. im young and want to travel, so a smaller offshore shop like where im at is great.
yeah see i dont think i have time to get "experience" seems a lot more feasible to me to take the course, get the job, finish the AAS and continue that way. If i'm wrong let me know

Quote:
Old 11-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #59
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
yeah see i dont think i have time to get "experience" seems a lot more feasible to me to take the course, get the job, finish the AAS and continue that way. If i'm wrong let me know
well i went from 350.00 a week to where im at now in 3 years.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #60
AliceInChains02

Bike(s):
nada

Quote:
PTAC 1302
PTAC 1308
PTAC 1410
SCIT 1414
PTAC 2314

i might drop one and take it in the summer, 17 hours might be too much
those are all of the ones i took this semester...go figure. i believe it's 18 hours
i can't say what kind of load you can handle personally, but before this semester the most hours i had taken in 1 semester was 13, and I haven't had too much trouble this semester(As and Bs).
A lot of the professors work with you if you have a busy schedule, etc., and they don't seem quite as rigorous or demanding as regular professors.
If you've been out of school for a while though, it might be best not to start with 18 hours.

Advertisement