MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
drojas324

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2002 XR50 with extra stunt skills :-)

Send a message via AIM to drojas324
Picking a degree major. **Need feedback PLEASE**

Okay guys heres the thing. Im transfering in to U of H in the spring and I always thought that I wanted to get an engineering degree but after some research it seems like maybe what exactly I want to do has to deal with getting an education in industrial design.

My ultimate goal is: I want to work somewhere in the automotive industry working with technology to produce the latest and greatest, and also working in the design element of the whole production.

After talking with advisors, Im a little less then half way to earning a degree in industrial design and with engineering I am like way back and Ive always been a little scared that I cant handle the work load.

Here is the question: What have you heard about industrial design, what are the possibilties and is there even a market?

I know I can ask the advisers but I sometimes feel like they are selling the school. I want solid feedback positive or negative. Any help would be great b/c this is a little overwhelming to choose the rest of my life!
drojas324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking About a Second Degree DvlRacer Off Topic 2 09-15-2010 12:22 PM
most lucrative degree's. RACER X Off Topic 55 07-30-2009 08:59 PM
who here has a four year degree? POLL cannibal Off Topic 100 07-01-2008 12:06 PM
degree in cams hat750 Performance and Modifications 6 05-14-2007 09:19 PM
A&M Agricultural Degree Patrick Off Topic 1 10-17-2006 09:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drojas324 View Post

My ultimate goal is: I want to work somewhere in the automotive industry working with technology to produce the latest and greatest, and also working in the design element of the whole production.

!
if this is where you wanna be, then a full on deg. is what you need. you need to look up to the north to get a heads up. not alot of programs down here.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
BrutusTx

Member Garage

^^^^^^^^
What he said.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Sounds like you know what you want. I agree with RacerX- find the best school for what you want to do... you'll get better professors, and probably some face time in the industry.

I'm starting research in the spring at UHdowntown- they have one of the best research programs in the country because they qualify for loads of gov't money- I'll be doing a project for Shell and will get published and I'll get to go to Poland in the summer to work in a state-of-the-art isotopic lab.

Go where you can do the same with what interests you. You'll be at the top of the chain when recruitment time comes around. Goodluck! B
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
HoustonGixxer

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

shouldve gone to wyotech. i heard thats the cool place to be.....no jk follow what your hearts desire is!
HoustonGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
drojas324

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
if this is where you wanna be, then a full on deg. is what you need. you need to look up to the north to get a heads up. not alot of programs down here.
Ive noticed that there are more programs up north but I know I cant afford that but I found out that UH has a bachelor of science in industrial design program here. Maybe I can start here, finish here, then maybe head up north, I dont know.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

ind. des, degree really isn't an engineering degree, its more like a business deg. and your gonna have a hard time finding a job afterwords. realisitically your prolly not gonna end up, up north and will end up down here.

down here, mech/elec/chem are the eng. degree's to get.

yeah it's longer, but maybe you shoulda researched your path before you started it, it's not like the class requirments are hard to figure out.

sowy.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
D_UNIT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
03'xr50w/carbon fiber,07' R1(SOLD), 06' Ranger Rover Sport SuperCharged(NEW TOY)

I second that , I wanted to industrial design because it sounded like a cool job, but the program I wanted to do was in San Diego. I'm working to get my Mech Eng deg, b/c Texas...houston is the hub for everything Oil-n-Gas. Not as cool because no one will see my work but definitely pays the bills.
D_UNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
drojas324

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ind. des, degree really isn't an engineering degree, its more like a business deg. and your gonna have a hard time finding a job afterwords. realisitically your prolly not gonna end up, up north and will end up down here.

down here, mech/elec/chem are the eng. degree's to get.

yeah it's longer, but maybe you shoulda researched your path before you started it, it's not like the class requirments are hard to figure out.

sowy.
I appreciate your realistic response. My next question is what kinda degree do I have to get to work in depth in the automotive industry. I want to work with the technology and work with the performance, but I dont just want to be a mechanic. And like what was said above from another member, I have heard of wyotech and stuff like that but I want to do more and be higher up the chain of production.

Oh yeah and I have no problem moving away from houston for a job, I want to move away, but for my studies I want to make it as easy as possible and studying in my hometown allows me to do so.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

what do you currently do? job wise hobby wise?

the 1 person i know who works for GM as an engineer, works on their fuel injection systems. the thought that designing cars is all fine and dandy but most those people are more artsy types.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Quote:
Originally Posted by drojas324 View Post
I want to do more and be higher up the chain of production.
Engineering is the way to go IMO. I have plenty of friends I graduated with that are now working in the automotive industry. Mechanical, Electrical, Structural. If you want to be higher up the chain and "in depth" as you say you want, engineering is where it's at. With another degree, although you still have a chance to "move up," I find it likely that it won't be as quick if at all. Again, this is not to say a different degree won't get you there, and im talking specifically about the type of work you're inquiring about. I am saying this because I've seen it, especially working for big corporations/companies. Just my .02.

Also if you say you want to try and stick around if possible, it will open doors to other possiblities around here. Who knows, maybe after you start your real classes you'll realize you have a passion for something other than what's in your mind now. You won't know until you get there.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."

Last edited by Capafool; 11-30-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #12
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

It also has to do with who you know.... you can never get around that one.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
andre3k
I see dead people...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. (prob more important than the degree)

Engineering is the way to go. Its almost a universal degree. If I could go back to college thats what I would major in.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #14
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(prob more important than the degree)
nooooooo.... not anywhere i've ever been to. There's a few people I've worked with that have been at the company 25 and 30 yrs. they know the boss's boss's boss's boss. Just about everyone knows them. Why haven't they moved up? no technical degree, and nothing more because they're great people and work hard as .

same was true for another company I used to intern at. There was even a written policy there that you can never be a manager without certification and degree.

Knowing people definitely helps tons, most likely helps move up the chain faster! But in todays world a lot of companies want to see the little piece of paper that says what you got.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool View Post
nooooooo.... not anywhere i've ever been to. There's a few people I've worked with that have been at the company 25 and 30 yrs. they know the boss's boss's boss's boss. Just about everyone knows them. Why haven't they moved up? no technical degree, and nothing more because they're great people and work hard as .

same was true for another company I used to intern at. There was even a written policy there that you can never be a manager without certification and degree.

Knowing people definitely helps tons, most likely helps move up the chain faster! But in todays world a lot of companies want to see the little piece of paper that says what you got.
This is primarily what I mean. With everything there can be ceilings and there are certain things you have to do to get around them.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

I have also meet highly educated people who simply choose to stay on the technical side which usually has a ceiling a lot lower then if you transition to the management side but, you stay with what you enjoy and that is life.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
rideForrestride

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Your chances are better to major in mechanical eng. if you want to do machine design or electrical or computer if you want to work on the electrical systems/computers side. Most entry level design eng. positions require good grades and internship/co-op experience. Therefore, if you want to do that get internships and coops now in that area of work while you're in school because if you don't it will be more difficult. As far as an engineering degree, you'll have to go for it and not be scared of the work load because jobs like that don't come for free.
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
I have also meet highly educated people who simply choose to stay on the technical side which usually has a ceiling a lot lower then if you transition to the management side but, you stay with what you enjoy and that is life.
... researchers is a good example of staying technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
Your chances are better to major in mechanical eng. if you want to do machine design or electrical or computer if you want to work on the electrical systems/computers side. Most entry level design eng. positions require good grades and internship/co-op experience. Therefore, if you want to do that get internships and coops now in that area of work while you're in school because if you don't it will be more difficult.
+1... grades are huge now a days... to me GPA doesn't say everything because but companies look at this a lot, and few hiring managers are willing to see past that. You can be really book smart but be a complete moron when it come to street smarts, and vice versa.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46

Last edited by Capafool; 11-30-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
drojas324

Bike(s):

I posted this thread to get what was on my mind in text and also to get opinions from others. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think what I need to do is SACK UP and take on the work load and be in it for the long haul. I dont want to get another degree in less time only to wanna go back when Im 30 or so for what I originally wanted to do.

Advertisement