Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #21
ChemiKaze

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Red Wing CBR600RR

FIM rules for SBK, which many countries follow to be a FIM sanction racing series, are very tight like Tom said... an example is the GSX1K we saw in 07... Biaggi rode with the stock-like twin pipes but Spies rode a single pipe... The single pipe is said to be more powerful than the twin pipe

For sale: Alth Wave Rotors (Italian baby!) for 03-07 CBR600RR
ChemiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the caliber of CMRA racers at AMA Daytona.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 38 03-09-2009 03:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiKaze View Post
FIM rules for SBK, which many countries follow to be a FIM sanction racing series, are very tight like Tom said... an example is the GSX1K we saw in 07... Biaggi rode with the stock-like twin pipes but Spies rode a single pipe... The single pipe is said to be more powerful than the twin pipe
Well, like anything else, you can get power in so many different ways... the pros can get power out of two pipes or one, the engine would be built specifically and tuned to get the maximum output.

While a 4-2-1 or 4-1 exhaust may make xx hp on an engine, and a 4-2 exhaust on that same engine may make less, you can build and tune an engine that gives better hp for the 4-2 exhaust and less with the 4-2-1 or 4-1.

Engine specs are what they are, but professional tuners with years of experience and ability can do pretty much whatever they want with the stuff their given to work with.

That all said, I'm sure the AMA GSXR is making more hp than the WSBK GSXR is/ does- but the "superstock" rules for next year may make things a bit more even... if everyone plays by the rules and doesn't build cheater bike/ equipment.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #23
04RSVR
Professional Jack @ss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
BMW K1200 R Sport
Honda 305 Superhawk project bike
working on a motoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Well, like anything else, you can get power in so many different ways... the pros can get power out of two pipes or one, the engine would be built specifically and tuned to get the maximum output.

While a 4-2-1 or 4-1 exhaust may make xx hp on an engine, and a 4-2 exhaust on that same engine may make less, you can build and tune an engine that gives better hp for the 4-2 exhaust and less with the 4-2-1 or 4-1.

Engine specs are what they are, but professional tuners with years of experience and ability can do pretty much whatever they want with the stuff their given to work with.
That's why I think a REALLY GOOD mechanic/engineer is an awesome thing. That understanding of the way stuff works is like magic to me.

"It is better to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." -- Mann
04RSVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #24
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RSVR View Post
That understanding of the way stuff works is like magic to me.
+1, that's why I get so mystified by some of the guys that have the maddest of skillz with mechanics.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #25
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

I don't watch pro racing but if I did I think AMA would be what I watched. when you think about it when has a big name wsbk guy come over and whipped up on the ama. Or when has a moto-gp guy come over and won ama in his second year of riding it.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #26
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
Or when has a moto-gp guy come over and won ama in his second year of riding it.
Mat Mladin? AMA-MotoGP-AMA Champ several times over...

The thing is that nobody wants to go "down" a level (MotoGP "down" to AMA)...
'cept it seems that CEII is going to go "down" in '09.

I think Biaggi wouldn't have gone "down" to WSBK unless he just absolutely had to. Several guys that are former MotoGP in WSBK too.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #27
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Mat Mladin? AMA-MotoGP-AMA Champ several times over...

The thing is that nobody wants to go "down" a level (MotoGP "down" to AMA)...
'cept it seems that CEII is going to go "down" in '09.

I think Biaggi wouldn't have gone "down" to WSBK unless he just absolutely had to. Several guys that are former MotoGP in WSBK too.
Mat came back because the team he and Doug were on was and they weren't paying him. If he would have had a real bike I think he would have cleaned up in Moto-gp. The guys that did ok in WSBK come over here and they may make it up to 4 or 5. At least that is where the last champ made it. They change the rules in World because the ama guys were so much faster when they raced the same track so now they can say we have spec tires and a diff crank and that is why we are slow.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #28
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
Mat came back because the team he and Doug were on was and they weren't paying him. If he would have had a real bike I think he would have cleaned up in Moto-gp. The guys that did ok in WSBK come over here and they may make it up to 4 or 5. At least that is where the last champ made it. They change the rules in World because the ama guys were so much faster when they raced the same track so now they can say we have spec tires and a diff crank and that is why we are slow.
Hodson didn't do toooooo bad in AMA, but I think he could've done better if he'd had a better/ more competitive bike. We'll see how he does on the Honduh next year.

I think that if Mat was "all that" someone would have snapped him up when he was in MotoGP.

We'll never know now anyway, but I hope CEII comes in and kicks the out of everyone on an "inferior" bike.