MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
gahboo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Aprilia Tuono R; BMW F650GS

Questions from a track NooB- please advise

Hi guys, I am new here. Interested in experiencing the track. I am a relative Noob with 2 years street experience, and would appreciate some advice from you veterans.

I have a new Aprilia Tuono that I want to take out on the track. I am not an insane rider at all on the streets and have never found myself in a situation where I knowingly pushed my limits, etc. For example the fastest I have ever ridden is 120. Tend to be pretty conservative on the BMW F650... Less so on the Tuono. (Wonder why?)

My question is this... How stupid is it for a Noob like me to take that expensive of a bike out for a FIRST EVER track day and risk dropping it or something? Is that just asking for it? I have absolutely no concept of traction limits and that sort of thing.

I have strong interest in the track, but have no concept about the frequency or inevetability of crashing. I know plenty of you pile it up frequently. Are there any of you out there who just ride within limits and escape crashing? I would really hate to scratch up the Ape just because of the cost of parts. Maybe I should just buy a beater R6 or something...

Also, does insurance cover track days if you are not racing, but just going fast, generally speaking?

Thanks much for the information. I look forward to participating in the comunity.
gahboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Couple of Noob Questions z0sum Taking it to the Track 8 05-22-2013 06:26 PM
Noob questions 01ls1ws6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 03-13-2012 01:08 PM
ktm questions and info for the noob mekrew Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 21 04-24-2008 02:54 PM
Track nOOb questions - comments please gahboo Taking it to the Track 14 02-01-2008 12:39 PM
noob oil questions wlgorman General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 09-27-2007 07:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #2
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahboo View Post
Hi guys, I am new here. Interested in experiencing the track. I am a relative Noob with 2 years street experience, and would appreciate some advice from you veterans.

I have a new Aprilia Tuono that I want to take out on the track. I am not an insane rider at all on the streets and have never found myself in a situation where I knowingly pushed my limits, etc. For example the fastest I have ever ridden is 120. Tend to be pretty conservative on the BMW F650... Less so on the Tuono. (Wonder why?)

My question is this... How stupid is it for a Noob like me to take that expensive of a bike out for a FIRST EVER track day and risk dropping it or something? Is that just asking for it? I have absolutely no concept of traction limits and that sort of thing.

I have strong interest in the track, but have no concept about the frequency or inevetability of crashing. I know plenty of you pile it up frequently. Are there any of you out there who just ride within limits and escape crashing? I would really hate to scratch up the Ape just because of the cost of parts. Maybe I should just buy a beater R6 or something...

Also, does insurance cover track days if you are not racing, but just going fast, generally speaking?

Thanks much for the information. I look forward to participating in the comunity.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
gahboo

Bike(s):
07 Aprilia Tuono R; BMW F650GS

Ah man, help me out a bit!

So dude, am I bullshit or what? I am asking to have my perception realigned by more experienced riders. I do not know how to interpret this Laughy Icon.

My IQ is above average, but I have spoken to exactly one individual with significant track experience at any length, and he did in fact pile it up frequently. I did a search on this site, and nobody has done a poll that I could find concerning this.

Maybe the word frequently is too relative of a term. He told me he usually low sides about every 4th or 5th time out. i.e. 2-3 times a season.

When the gas tank on my Aprilia cost $3grand, that's kinda concerning especially since I am a complete NooB.

So, would you please clarify for me?
gahboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
dirtyrice411
Staying Stoned

Bike(s):
03 R1 Limited Edition.

Send a message via AIM to dirtyrice411
Quote:
So dude, am I bullshit or what? I am asking to have my perception realigned by more experienced riders. I do not know how to interpret this Laughy Icon.

My IQ is above average, but I have spoken to exactly one individual with significant track experience at any length, and he did in fact pile it up frequently. I did a search on this site, and nobody has done a poll that I could find concerning this.

Maybe the word frequently is too relative of a term. He told me he usually low sides about every 4th or 5th time out. i.e. 2-3 times a season.

When the gas tank on my Aprilia cost $3grand, that's kinda concerning especially since I am a complete NooB.

sorry 3g's for a gas tank, I would never.......

Im a cheap a$$.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
dnix600

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600

There are lots of track guys on this site that will give you feedback. Im not one them. What you said just made me laugh. I dont ride the track, but IMO, you have more risk of wrecking your bike on the street, because its an uncontrolled environment. But like I said, I dont ride the track.
dnix600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
jettech01
Motorcyle Rider not owner

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:

I would take a bike to the track (for your first time) that you would not mind "laying down" I know of no insurrance company that insures bikes when on a Track, and Yes I feel the track is a safer environment to "race" but a back road is far safer IMHO for a leasurely ride with your GF. All things are risky. The road, the track, and life in general.

I would recommend <putting fire retardent underwear on for the flamers> that you get a bike that you don't care about and try out the track day experiance. If you like it........then use your increased experiance to judge if it is reasonable to take your "baby" on the track. I bought a "salvage" title bike for my track bike so the investment is minimal and can fix it myself if it gets waisted in a track day.

Good luck and ride safe and fast........
jettech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
In reality, aren't you just as likely if not more so to dump your Italian beauty on some back road? We have plenty of folks riding thier street rides on the track. Most insurance does cover if you are in a school format trackday, but better to check with your agent than the messageboards. Get yourself some good gear, and come on out with an open mind and be willing to learn from the instructors. Not everyone there will be draggin knee, or riding at 100%. Go to the track to get what YOU want out of it, and assess your risk level as you ride. It's not for everyone, but most will be hooked after only a session or two. Hope to see you out soon.
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

IMHO the track CAN be just as safe if not safer than the streets. You really have to put things on check. I have not wrecked in about a year, and that one was totally my mistake, but I did learn from it. I vote to take the Priller out and enjoy it. Take baby steps and listen to your instuctors....and ASK QUESTIONS! A good instructor will answer all of your questions.
People wreck frequently on the track usually because they try to take too big of a step at once. Common Sense goes a long way on the track.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

bad habits are hard to break, most people know only these. So when coming to the track as Buck said, keep an open mind and be willing to soak up all that is told to you. There is lots to learn and as anything else in the learning world, no one knows everything. We learn from each other.

Your street bike will do just fine for your first time. We see lots of different bikes on the track, from the little mini bikes all the way up to Full Dresser Harleys. It's not uncommon for people to come out and dislike the track riding so I suggest you try it at least once on your current ride before buying something dedicated to the track alone.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Come out and play its a great way to learn how to ride properly with a great group of people who are always willing to help a newbie or vet out.

See you out there next season.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
gixxerbill
Banned

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

User is banned

gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
lorin70

Take your bike to a track day. Be sure to sign up for the class to get proper instruction on riding the track in a safe manner. There's not much reason you would crash, especially on your first track day, unless you were trying to ride over your head. Stay within your limits and you should be fine.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Come out and enjoy a track day.

It's like CRACK
Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

I am with Jettech. Get a beater R6 and take that to the track.

I would not take my streetbike back to the track. I did enjoy getting to know a whole new side of my bike on the track but wadding her up wasn't worth it.

I get the feeling that you may want to push it a bit on the Aprilia and are worried about traction, but even in the case that you can be patient and control your throttle, you can still ride as careful as you want - it may not be under your control what happens out there.

I am only saying this because I am one of the few unfortunate folks who were hit by someone else. I got my old VFR totalled when another guy went too hot into a turn, overshot it and targetfixated on me. Pre-K got hit when a guy lowsided into him.

If you do want to take the Aprilia, verify coverage with your insurance. In mine as well as in Pre-K's case, the insurance paid for the bike and gear. However, I strongly recommend checking with your insurance. I had called Progressive, which stated they don't cover it but found coverage with American Modern. I believe Pre-K had State Farm. The downside, they may not renew your insurance or the insurance will go up upon renewal.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #15
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

As I posted in another thread; Ride within your limits and approach the boundaries slowly.
Do a couple, if not more, beginner level trackdays with instruction.

You present yourself as an intelligent / mature person, so you are probably disciplined enough not to give in to the urge to go faster than you should.

Obviously you'll want to have good gear and your bike properly set up.

I wrote this awhile back, it may help answer some of your questions.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

Lastly, as far as insurance goes, check with your carrier. Different companies have specific policies concerning track day participation.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I got a cheap dirty you can use for the track...2 g's and she's all yours....and she even crashes well....at least lowsiding.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #17
sweeney1186

Bike(s):
00 SV650 superbike
06 FJR 1300

I would rec reading some riding books(twist of wrist 2,etc) & applying those techniques to your riding & then take the priller out for some fun.I did trackdays for quite some time w/ no crashes-just got to know your limits & stay within them.Trackdays are not races,so its not like you have to go as fast as you can when on the track.Start w/ the slow group in any of the great trackady org's we have & then see how confortable you are being out there,then if you're hooked see about getting something track dedicated to push your limits on.
CMRA # 78, Team EDS #56 F2 Endurance
sweeney1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #18
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I did a full season on my street bike and liked it so much I went and bought a track only bike too.
I've been doing track days for 2 seasons and have'nt crashed yet. Just ride within YOUR limits and don't get too carried away with trying to be one of the "fast" guys. You'll have a blast and get to be a better rider too. (Not to mention bragging to your non-riding friends what you did this week end).
I say take the Tuono out and use it for what it was made to do!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #19
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Oh and call Patrick for all your gear and parts needs. He runs Motorcycles Unlimited and has great prices and discounts for MH members. And he rents trackday leathers if you need to go that route.
Everyone on this forum will vouch for him and his people.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #20
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

It's only money...
You can always get more of that.

I plan on taking my bike out there as soon as I buy a 2nd one next spring so I don't have to stop riding if I wipe out.
After that,
IT"S KNEE DRAGGING TIME BABY!!!

Advertisement