MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Another Chain email

Ok, first off let me start by stating I am not posting this to be another aethiest/christian debate. And before Aliceinchains knocks it as another stupid chain email let me explain my reason for posting this. I have said in my past debates that even if Christianity was false, and there was no , it plays a big part in keeping our world safe. Having to answer to keeps some people's morals in check. True, not all people have to have that to be good, but there are a lot that do. This "chain mail" puts it into perspective in another person's point of view. I don't know if the name on it is the actual person that said it. Didn't take the time to research, just thought it had a nice point.

A lot of truth in this

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year.. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu . If people want a crèche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her "How could let something like this happen?" (regarding Katrina) Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, "I believe is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"

In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."

Funny how simple it is for people to trash and then wonder why the world's going to . Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of is suppressed in the school and workplace..

Are you laughing?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit. If not then just discard it... no one will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in. My Best Regards.

Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire alignment/chain adjustment (short-ish chain?) SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-14-2014 03:55 PM
Vortex email kxthor911 Taking it to the Track 1 03-14-2013 01:30 PM
an email i got shipwreck Off Topic 3 02-12-2006 05:27 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

i 100% agree with you on the point of religion keeps some people from doing things like stealing, killing, etc.

so im glad for those dumb people that use cant their mind to realize for themselves that things are bad they have religion to fill in the void

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

but then again most would do those things then claim a religion

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

Half of it is not ben stein. Much like the bible, people added stuff over the years.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post

Half of it is not ben stein. Much like the bible, people added stuff over the years.
king james bible!

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:

lol, thanks Arturo, i knew you would step up and research it for me. But like I said, even if I wrote it myself, the message is the same. Like Limckee said, even if religion is the way to fill the void, it still helps.

And you are right, it is funny how many people find religion AFTER a major screw up.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
king james bible!

Tourette Syndrome?
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
Tourette Syndrome?
lol what?

he changed the bible more then any other

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmckee View Post
lol what?

he changed the bible more then any other

OHHhhh.. I didn't make the connection and the exclamation point just made it seem like an involuntary reaction to the word bible.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Quote:
OHHhhh.. I didn't make the connection and the exclamation point just made it seem like an involuntary reaction to the word bible.
you think to much

where is mckee?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

that's a cute little e-mail. . .and if your religion happens to align with what is being said in that e-mail then it probably warms your little christian heart. I do not happen to align with what is said in that e-mail, and i find it funny that in such a modern world people can connect "tragic" events with the lack of in schools. Did the title wave in/near India a few years ago happen to kill thousands of people b/c they took out of their schools? seriously, did it? Are there not psychological/social problems that can be traced back to school shootings? Is it not physically possible for devastating hurricanes to wipe out entire cities/states? I'm sorry that you can not connect the things that happen in a modern world with the actions that lead up to them. . .
Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
that's a cute little e-mail. . .and if your religion happens to align with what is being said in that e-mail then it probably warms your little christian heart. I do not happen to align with what is said in that e-mail, and i find it funny that in such a modern world people can connect "tragic" events with the lack of in schools. Did the title wave in/near India a few years ago happen to kill thousands of people b/c they took out of their schools? seriously, did it? Are there not psychological/social problems that can be traced back to school shootings? Is it not physically possible for devastating hurricanes to wipe out entire cities/states? I'm sorry that you can not connect the things that happen in a modern world with the actions that lead up to them. . .
What a nice asenine comment you have made. Did you read what I said before? Or did you just decide to be a ? Just curious. If you read what I said, I said how having faith in /Christianity (RIGHT OR WRONG) gives people a gut check on wrong doing. I didn't say it has anything to do with natural disasters or accidents. It helps POLICE the world if they have Christian faith. Had you read some of my other debates, I have talked about how if NO ONE believed in A "" or higher power, there would probably be more violence, killing, etc. in the world. I myself have not had the thought of killing anyone, but my faith in does make me second guess my actions for the better.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Religion canbe a good thing but when you start adding words to it it gets out of hand. Like Dogmatic Religion or Evangelical Religion.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #14
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
What a nice asenine comment you have made. Did you read what I said before? Or did you just decide to be a ? Just curious. If you read what I said, I said how having faith in /Christianity (RIGHT OR WRONG) gives people a gut check on wrong doing. I didn't say it has anything to do with natural disasters or accidents. It helps POLICE the world if they have Christian faith. Had you read some of my other debates, I have talked about how if NO ONE believed in A "" or higher power, there would probably be more violence, killing, etc. in the world. I myself have not had the thought of killing anyone, but my faith in does make me second guess my actions for the better.
i just decided to be a . . .after i read what you posted. Care to answer the questions i asked? I'm not a christian, and i have not committed any murder/death/robberies/physical assualts/theft/etc. I base my actions on my morals and what i feel is right and wrong, and on the consequences of those actions, not fear of a higher power. What about all of those who do commit major sin that subscribe to your beliefs? What about those that commit major sins for their beliefs?

FWIW, i was quite sarcastic in my response b/c that e-mail is very biased IMO. Pointing out social issues and tragedies and relating them to lack of in schools is proposterous is it not? No wonder christianity is one of the fastest SHRINKING religions on the face of the earth. Too many "do gooders" telling the rest of us that we're wrong.:/:
Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #15
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
If you read what I said, I said how having faith in /Christianity (RIGHT OR WRONG) gives people a gut check on wrong doing. Had you read some of my other debates, I have talked about how if NO ONE believed in A "" or higher power, there would probably be more violence, killing, etc. in the world. I myself have not had the thought of killing anyone, but my faith in does make me second guess my actions for the better.
hence the phrase. . ."religion is the crutch of a weak man"
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #16
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
i just decided to be a . . .after i read what you posted. Care to answer the questions i asked? I'm not a christian, and i have not committed any murder/death/robberies/physical assualts/theft/etc. I base my actions on my morals and what i feel is right and wrong, and on the consequences of those actions, not fear of a higher power. What about all of those who do commit major sin that subscribe to your beliefs? What about those that commit major sins for their beliefs?

FWIW, i was quite sarcastic in my response b/c that e-mail is very biased IMO. Pointing out social issues and tragedies and relating them to lack of in schools is proposterous is it not? No wonder christianity is one of the fastest SHRINKING religions on the face of the earth. Too many "do gooders" telling the rest of us that we're wrong.:/:
The reason I did not answer your questions, is because this wasn't to be a debate over whether or not Christianity was right or wrong. And I didn't say if you don't believe bad things will happen to you. I stated that having a belief in a or higher being (notice, this is twice I have said that, I never said my , or any reference to Christianity itself) helps a lot of people be better people. The people that do commit major sins, that CLAIM they are Christian, can't be truly Christian or they would not commit those. And there are exceptions to the rule. But the majority of Christions do take a moral or gut check due to the feeling of having to answer to the man himself which helps prevent some of us from making major mistakes.

And by the way, I want to see proof of the SHRINKING religion. I'm not telling you that you are wrong for not believing in . While some do, I'm not one of them. You are on your own on that one. Arturo has already said in one of my other debates that HE does not need a greater being to keep his morals in check. You say that also, that is great. But way too many people DO need something to keep them in check. And those people would be worse people, meaning more bad things would happen, if they didn't feel they had to answer to a greater judge outside of their life on earth. I can't respond on people that do bad things because of their beliefs. I assume you mean the people that do terrorist acts in the name of their . You will find that a majority of the people who also believe in the same don't understand why those people do those things. Brain wash? Sick? I don't know.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
The reason I did not answer your questions, is because this wasn't to be a debate over whether or not Christianity was right or wrong. And I didn't say if you don't believe bad things will happen to you. I stated that having a belief in a or higher being (notice, this is twice I have said that, I never said my , or any reference to Christianity itself) helps a lot of people be better people. The people that do commit major sins, that CLAIM they are Christian, can't be truly Christian or they would not commit those. And there are exceptions to the rule. But the majority of Christions do take a moral or gut check due to the feeling of having to answer to the man himself which helps prevent some of us from making major mistakes.

And by the way, I want to see proof of the SHRINKING religion. I'm not telling you that you are wrong for not believing in . While some do, I'm not one of them. You are on your own on that one. Arturo has already said in one of my other debates that HE does not need a greater being to keep his morals in check. You say that also, that is great. But way too many people DO need something to keep them in check. And those people would be worse people, meaning more bad things would happen, if they didn't feel they had to answer to a greater judge outside of their life on earth. I can't respond on people that do bad things because of their beliefs. I assume you mean the people that do terrorist acts in the name of their . You will find that a majority of the people who also believe in the same don't understand why those people do those things. Brain wash? Sick? I don't know.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/worldrel.htm

and i want to see proof of your . . .

Last edited by jetcycles; 11-27-2007 at 01:49 PM.
jetcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
and i want to see proof of your . . .
good come back. Glad to see you missed the whole point of my post. I would like to see proof also. Would make it a lot easier than faith alone. But I have accepted my way. I'm fine with not having to see it. And I'm fine with you choosing not to believe. And I'm glad you were taught strong enough morals to not HAVE to believe to be good. Sure wish EVERYONE was capable but they are not. Some people need that crutch. And if it makes the world a better place, I think anyone who feels they need that crutch, more power to them.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #19
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

i edited my post while you were typing yours, go back and check it out. if you want more, just let me know. (And I'm serious(not sarcastic) when i say) i'm glad you're not as "close minded" as some people are. With more people like yourself spreading the word, maybe more people will find their "crutches" to get through life. only knows how many have been turned away from organized religion by "ignorant" believers who stuff their foot in their mouth. Keep the comments coming, i respect your views more than these words show.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #20
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser

Quote:
i edited my post while you were typing yours, go back and check it out. if you want more, just let me know. (And I'm serious(not sarcastic) when i say) i'm glad you're not as "close minded" as some people are. With more people like yourself spreading the word, maybe more people will find their "crutches" to get through life. only knows how many have been turned away from organized religion by "ignorant" believers who stuff their foot in their mouth. Keep the comments coming, i respect your views more than these words show.
kind words and the mention of ? Are you converting? I apreciate your words. And good find on the link. I don't know about the fastest shrinking, but this website would suggest it is to some extent. Well at least we can have a good heated debate and not want to kill each other. Thanks to my "Crutch"

Advertisement